OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@temery, the prosecutor somewhat elaborated on what constituted a breach of law vs NCAA rules but I wasn't 100% tuned to the details. But, also consider Kuhn and Cobb's legal troubles in the BC point shaving scandal in the 80's. That was considered a crime, and jail was involved, to win by less than the point spread, based on various legal theories.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
You are probably right. But there is another way the NCAA could play this. They could make an example out of a program. Pick one of the perpetrators that doesn't quite fit in, that always has been a little bit renegade, that isn't quite up to snuff academically, is in a small market that is not attractive to advertisers, and nuke it. 2 year death penalty for the basketball program, which would trigger an investigation of the full athletic program. You probably don't have to dig to hard to find shenanigans by the shady football coach too. This penalty would violate all its conference agreements, triggering removal from its conference. Basically lay waste to the athletic program.

Maybe the league replaces that dirty program with a clean program, maybe one that is rising in academic circles and has really good women's athletics, because what better way to show you are above board than women's athletics?

Hey bud, it is....Puff, Puff, Pass.

Not....Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff, Puff

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
You are probably right. But there is another way the NCAA could play this. They could make an example out of a program. Pick one of the perpetrators that doesn't quite fit in, that always has been a little bit renegade, that isn't quite up to snuff academically, is in a small market that is not attractive to advertisers, and nuke it. 2 year death penalty for the basketball program, which would trigger an investigation of the full athletic program. You probably don't have to dig to hard to find shenanigans by the shady football coach too. This penalty would violate all its conference agreements, triggering removal from its conference. Basically lay waste to the athletic program.

Maybe the league replaces that dirty program with a clean program, maybe one that is rising in academic circles and has really good women's athletics, because what better way to show you are above board than women's athletics?
Please, I can only get so erect.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@temery, the prosecutor somewhat elaborated on what constituted a breach of law vs NCAA rules but I wasn't 100% tuned to the details. But, also consider Kuhn and Cobb's legal troubles in the BC point shaving scandal in the 80's. That was considered a crime, and jail was involved, to win by less than the point spread, based on various legal theories.

I know I'm in the minority in both cases, but I couldn't understand why the point shaving thing was a crime either. The tax angle mentioned previously would have been, but cheating to win or cheating to lose is just that - cheating. Gambling was illegal, so the injured parties had a reason to be pissed, but that's about it.

Reaction Score
Everyone here knows how hopeless it feels to play in the AAC, especially after National Championships. We grieve that we have to play ECU and Tulane instead of Syracuse and Villanova.

Imagine what Louisville fans are feeling right now. They've won championships too, and now they might not have a team in the coming years. Forget Tulane and ECU, they might be playing nobody.

Its difficult to believe, but ours is not the darkest timeline.
Your talking quack. Knock it off. No one knows what if anything Louisville will suffer.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Checking out a Louisville board, they are resigned to the death penalty, and several of the posters want the death penalty they are so disgusted by the school. Louisville is busted on a wiretap discussing a payment to a player, less than a month after being put on probation.

I hope Swofford's phone is ringing off the hook with reporters asking him why he selected such a renegade program.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best lunch ever. And that includes well done nooners.

Catching up.

1. Of course the FBI kept this from the NCAA. The NCAA would have messed up the whole investigation.
2. I'd wager a decent sum that the FBI had agents undercover. No way was this all external electronic comms being tapped.
3. This a classic nerds vs. geeks. I'd bet a decent portion of the FBI team couldn't name the coaches of any of these schools.
4. More rats than an abandoned farm will be coming out.
5. This will be a great movie.
6. It's got to involve all the shoe companies and you'd have to think this bleeds over in to football. Altough truth be told, there isn't much money made from shoe endorsement in the NFL. Probably less than 5 players can actually push merchandise. It's all about the logo. No need to invest young when the big pro pay day isn't coming.
7. NCAA is dying for an everybody did it so they don't have to do their job as hatchet men on the dirty programs.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

FROM THAT ARTICLE:

The investigation revealed that the $100,000 was paid in four installments from “University-6” (Louisville) and funneled through “Company-1,” which is Adidas, to “Player-10.” Louisville has an endorsement deal with Adidas. FBI agent John Vourderis said in a sworn statement, “Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May or early June, Player-10 publicly committed to University-6.”

There is also a second incident involving what appears to be a Louisville coach being videotaped in a Las Vegas hotel room negotiating a payout for a high school player who will graduate in 2019, according to WDRB.com.

Reaction Score
Checking out a Louisville board, they are resigned to the death penalty, and several of the posters want the death penalty they are so disgusted by the school. Louisville is busted on a wiretap discussing a payment to a player, less than a month after being put on probation.

I hope Swofford's phone is ringing off the hook with reporters asking him why he selected such a renegade program.
Add Miami to the questions for Swofford. A Miami board is equally nervous and pissed that many assume they are another unnamed team. Louisville is getting more of the publicity, probably because they had just received their hooker penalty. Yet it's good for the ACC that they didn't take a school that had an APR issue which resulted from not gaming the system / lying.

Reaction Score
I bet all those people nervous they gonna have to give it back.

Reaction Score
FROM THAT ARTICLE:

The investigation revealed that the $100,000 was paid in four installments from “University-6” (Louisville) and funneled through “Company-1,” which is Adidas, to “Player-10.” Louisville has an endorsement deal with Adidas. FBI agent John Vourderis said in a sworn statement, “Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May or early June, Player-10 publicly committed to University-6.”

There is also a second incident involving what appears to be a Louisville coach being videotaped in a Las Vegas hotel room negotiating a payout for a high school player who will graduate in 2019, according to WDRB.com.

Louisville acknowledged they are the subject of an FBI investigation......too bad USC got Freeh first for investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom