OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate this part of college basketball (the only big $$$ college sport I care about).

Pretty much no one in the upper echelon of college basketball is ethically "clean" when it comes to recruiting (and retaining) their players. While I love the game, especially the total effort the players give every game (especially compared to the NBA), recruitment and the financial side of the game is something that kills a lot of the joy.

Even schools like UNC that should not need to cheat to be able to recruit and retain the best have been caught cheating - even if they haven't been punished for it. Boosters find ways to skirt the rules to get benefits to players. Even if it's not strictly breaking the rules, it's certainly not in the spirit of the rules and is unethical. HS players are being funneled to agents, to shoe companies, and then to colleges based on shoe contracts with the schools. It is all a giant, ugly mess of a system filled with hypocrisy.

So, while it might make us feel a little better to see schools that have generally gotten off easy when caught or suspected in the past now be in the crosshairs, let's not begin to believe that the sport we love is being run in a fair, ethical, even-handed way with the interest of the student-athletes as its top priority. Not at UL. Not at UNC. Not at UConn. Not anywhere in the upper tier. Money rules and wins=money. It's just like our banking system. The incentives to cheat are too large, and the (individual) penalties for being caught are too small.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm tired of hearing Louisville is good at anything. They are good cheaters and nothing more. Garbage in the big sports, garbage arena deal and garbage academics.

Why did Pitino do this? The guy can coach.

In fact, I think his cell block is going to win prison league for the next 3 to 5 years.

Reaction Score
Any chance the ACC covered its back and had Jurich use disappearing ink to sign the membership papers? Poetic justice: Jurich was once very concerned about whether UConn used pencil or pen to sign those ACC papers.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think coaches are going to be turning themselves in, especially assistants who were just bag men, for the opportunity to flip. These guys are not willing to risk jail time.

This is the real intriguing part. How many coaches are discussing this at this very moment with an attorney?

Reaction Score
I think coaches are going to be turning themselves in, especially assistants who were just bag men, for the opportunity to flip. These guys are not willing to risk jail time.
As well as the families of the recruits. They don't want to be prosecuted.

It is going to get ugly for many programs over the next few months.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the real intriguing part. How many coaches are discussing this at this very moment with an attorney?

You need to be the first one to call in these situations, otherwise you become the flippee, not the flipper. I think the lines at the U.S. Attorney's office have been busy today.

Reaction Score
You need to be the first one to call in these situations, otherwise you become the flippee, not the flipper. I think the lines at the U.S. Attorney's office have been busy today.

Nah, these people think they are entitled and can get away with anything.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Just great! Now with the influx of basketball knowledge and talent going into the prison systems, the AAC will fall even further down the conference pecking order. The FCIC (Federal Correctional Institute Conference) is going to pass the AAC within a couple of years and will probably steal our automatic bid to the dance! Head bang

Reaction Score
Personally, the question 'why would a Connecticut kid want to play basketball in Alabama' has been answered for me.
A Boston kid deciding to play in Coral Gables is more plausible, but I have a hunch as to why we suddenly just opted out on his recruitment.

Also, Louisville and Miami are recruiting a ton of the same kids for the class of 2019, including the one who was referenced in the Vegas hotel room.

Reaction Score
Didn't read all 19 pages but has someone brought up the Mo Bamba situation? After today, I hope more are inclined to believe where there is smoke there is fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom