OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places

Reaction Score
Shady Glen and those steamed Meriden abominations are some of the most overrated things this state has to offer.
I won $1200 last time UConn won the NC because I put $20 on them in August. First thing I bought after collecting was a Ted's steamed double cheeseburger because I picked up the cash in Meriden.

Not only was it pretty bland, but they put the patties side by side and the second I picked it up, it just destroyed the bun. My mom grew up in Meriden and raved about Ted's. I was disappointed in her at that moment.

Reaction Score
I can't believe it. Months ago I posted a question if Blackies was still going. Man, I was a kid eating those hot dogs. The relish was great. Had a bite to it. I remember the burgers, Not bad. Only used ketchup. Do they still close for the winter? Same building? If you didn't slow down you would miss it. On the way to Cheshire. I used to pound a six pack of those dogs.

Still there, same location, same building:

Blackie's Hot Dogs

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well, back in the day, in Waterbury, Watertown Road just before Municipal Stadium, there was a place called Big Toppe. Flamed broiled right in front of you. Put Burger King to shame. In fact I don't think BK was around then. Fantastic burgers. You had to dress them. It was across the street from a Litchfield Farms. I am guessing many of you weren't even born yet. *sigh*.

Wow, does this post bring back long forgotten memories. My dad and I used to go to quite a few Waterbury Giants games at Municipal Stadium when Bobby Bonds was playing for them. There was a hole inside the 'O' in Loehmann Chevrolet's sign on the outfield wall. If a HR was hit through the hole the player would have won a brand new Chevrolet. It likely never happened.

I don't think we ever stopped at Big Toppe but the name is vaguely familiar. Speaking of Litchfield Farms, they had a halfway decent burger called the Blonde Abigail, served in a basket with fries. It wouldn't compete with any of today's trendy or historic CT burger joints, but I always thought Litchfield Farms had a bit better food than Friendly's, for what it is. Sadly, I live in a part of the country that has no equivalent of Friendly's, or the now defunct Litchfield Farms.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Wow, does this post bring back long forgotten memories. My dad and I used to go to quite a few Waterbury Giants games at Municipal Stadium when Bobby Bonds was playing for them. There was a hole inside the 'O' in Loehmann Chevrolet's sign on the outfield wall. If a HR was hit through the hole the player would have won a bra nd new Chevrolet. It likely never happened.

I don't think we ever stopped at Big Toppe but the name is vaguely familiar. Speaking of Litchfield Farms, they had a halfway decent burger called the Blonde Abigail, served in a basket with fries. It wouldn't compete with any of today's trendy or historic CT burger joints, but I always thought Litchfield Farms had a bit better food than Friendly's, for what it is. Sadly, I live in a part of the country that has no equivalent of Friendly's, or the now defunct Litchfield Farms.
Yes! Yes! and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Wow,you went with your dad? So,that means, I am old. I remember the Blonde Abigal clearly. Great post Nick, thank you.

Reaction Score
I won $1200 last time UConn won the NC because I put $20 on them in August. First thing I bought after collecting was a Ted's steamed double cheeseburger because I picked up the cash in Meriden.

Not only was it pretty bland, but they put the patties side by side and the second I picked it up, it just destroyed the bun. My mom grew up in Meriden and raved about Ted's. I was disappointed in her at that moment.
You spent $1200 on steamed cheeseburgers?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes! Yes! and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Wow,you went with your dad? So,that means, I am old. I remember the Blonde Abigal clearly. Great post Nick, thank you.

Take it from me, Hankster, you're only as old as you think you are. I practice total age denial. If you ask anyone that knows me well enough, they will tell you I have the immature mentality level of a teenager, which is what I was all those many years ago watching Bonds hit HRs in Waterbury. It also helps to hang with millenials and Gen X'ers, and having teenage children also helps immensely. I've refused to grow up. Delusional yes, but it works for me. You're not getting older, you're getting better!

Reaction Score
I got a Ted's burger at a football game last season and it was pretty good. However, it was only good in the sense that it was much better than a frozen, preformed stadium burger.

Reaction Score
Wow, does this post bring back long forgotten memories. My dad and I used to go to quite a few Waterbury Giants games at Municipal Stadium when Bobby Bonds was playing for them. There was a hole inside the 'O' in Loehmann Chevrolet's sign on the outfield wall. If a HR was hit through the hole the player would have won a brand new Chevrolet. It likely never happened.

Waterbury had quite a few good minor league teams. Bobby Bonds probably my favorite, and I followed him while he was a pro. Being a Yankee fan I was thrilled and disappointed when he was traded for Bobby Murcer. My other favorite. Big Toppe turned into BIG FRANKS which is owned by the Frankie's hot dog family, great hot dogs.....great post Nick for a few reasons

Reaction Score
Because Ted's is incredibly average. A good steamed burger is still extremely tasty though.

Teds is more thank likely not Teds of old since the original owner sold out many years ago. Guessing Lamays is more like the old Teds. Having said that if you don't like the steame burger I get it, it's different.

Reaction Score
Waterbury had quite a few good minor league teams. Bobby Bonds probably my favorite, and I followed him while he was a pro. Being a Yankee fan I was thrilled and disappointed when he was traded for Bobby Murcer. My other favorite. Big Toppe turned into BIG FRANKS which is owned by the Frankie's hot dog family, great hot dogs.....great post Nick for a few reasons

I can't think of the name of the of the place outside of Muni Stadium we frequented after games we played there in the Waterbury Twilight League one year but the burgers were great the beer was cold and the sights were excellent for what I would say was a dive bar. The name will come to me some day?

Reaction Score
I can't think of the name of the of the place outside of Muni Stadium we frequented after games we played there in the Waterbury Twilight League one year but the burgers were great the beer was cold and the sights were excellent for what I would say was a dive bar. The name will come to me some day?

Have you ever thought about writing down a list of every bar you've ever been in......that you can remember? I'd kill to see that list.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is Contois still down off State at the 3 way stop and then drive down into residential area somewhere ? The Contois I went to years ago wasn't easy to find so you're right.
Been there a maybe a dozen times in the past 25 years or so and am in that general area almost every day, and every time I still feel like I'm in the wrong place until I open the door.

Reaction Score
Mau, when did you play in the Twilight League? I played there for a couple of years, '74,'75.

Reaction Score
Mau, when did you play in the Twilight League? I played there for a couple of years, '74,'75.

I played early 80's, I think 80 or 81 actually we had our first Meriden team up there sponsored by Katz Sport Shop.....Who did you play for? My brother played around that time for the Timers the year they went to the finals in Battle Creek MI.. Good baseball loved playing up there.

Reaction Score
Have you ever thought about writing down a list of every bar you've ever been in.that you can remember? I'd kill to see that list.

Who has time for something like that Deep?:oops:

Reaction Score
I played early 80's, I think 80 or 81 actually we had our first Meriden team up there sponsored by Katz Sport Shop.....Who did you play for? My brother played around that time for the Timers the year they went to the finals in Battle Creek MI.. Good baseball loved playing up there.
I played for The Waterbury All Stars with Billy and Bobby Matzkevich. Bobby played at UConn. Still have all the clippings including this epic pitching battle with Allie Vestro's Shaker's Cougars. That was a great league.
IMG_20170513_0002.jpg

Reaction Score
Been there a maybe a dozen times in the past 25 years or so and am in that general area almost every day, and every time I still feel like I'm in the wrong place until I open the door.

How good is the pepperoni soup. I think I like it more than the burgers and the burgers are some of if not the best around.

Reaction Score
I played for The Waterbury All Stars with Billy and Bobby Matzkevich. Bobby played at UConn. Still have all the clippings including this epic pitching battle with Allie Vestro's Shaker's Cougars. That was a great league.
View attachment 22290

Wow Bezz some good memories in that article. Are you in it?

My brother played for ECSU before the Mets signed him after 1 year during the summer of '74 I think. Guerrera and McKenna I believe also were there and one of his best buddies in college is further down in the article, Mike Armonaitis (Armone) great dude who I think I went oa couple UConn hoops games with. He was on the Naugatuck state champ teams which won about 40-50 games in a row. Also Eddie Hill played on that loaded Timers team which recruited my brother for their end of the year tournaments. He had to play a few games in the league to be sure he was eligible for the run to Battle Creek, that Timers team could hit 1-9 and all ex minor leaguers or college studs. It was a very good league, is it still around. Having mostly played in GHTBL of years myself it seems all these leagues are a mere shell of themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom