OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
See, I'm a horrible a glutton and while most of these places make a delicious burger I'm a sucker for fast food monstrosities. Every time I go to shady glen I feel like I need to order like 4 burgers.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1 down (Ted's), 19 to go. Btw, does anyone know where to park at Louie's Lunch without paying? Their parking situation is the only reason I haven't gone there.

Reaction Score
1 down (Ted's), 19 to go. Btw, does anyone know where to park at Louie's Lunch without paying? Their parking situation is the only reason I haven't gone there.

The over cooked and under seasoned burgers should be the 2nd reason you don't go there. It wasn't that it didn't meet the hype, it was actually terrible in my experience. I have never had a terrible time street parking provided you don't mind walking a couple blocks.

Reaction Score
I am gonna go there this afternoon. Their bacon, egg, and cheeseburger looks amazing.

I've driven by there a million times but I've never actually been in there. The menu does look amazing.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I've driven by there a million times but I've never actually been in there. The menu does look amazing.
I just went there. Here is my impression of the place. It is made with local ingredients and has a hippy vibe. I had the bacon, egg, and cheeseburger with cheese waffle fries. The burger: it was excellent. The first bite was overpowered with egg because the egg yolk broke but after that it was really good. They wisely put it on a sesame bun and it had two patties with bacon on top AND between the patties. Burger: 9.5/10. As far as the cheese waffle fries: they were solid but no bueno for the gut. The cheese had a slight kick to it but was pretty good. I paid for ordering the large though. Waffle fries: 7.5/10. Overall, 8.5/10. Go there and get the burger but get the small instead of the large fry and probably lose the cheese. Overall, I would recommend.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I've lived within easy walking distance of the Lake Zoar Drive-in for almost 50 years. It didn't look too much different from this when I first ate there.
drive-in.jpg

Other than the porch being enclosed and a counter seating added along the new front wall, it hasn't changed all that much. I've eaten a lot of burgers there over the years -- as much for convenience as for the quality/tastiness of the burgers. Through three different ownerships, although Bobby (current owner) has been there almost 25 years. They are good, but I'm not sure they are top ten of 'casual' burger places in the state good. Then again, maybe they are. Definitely better than a couple on that list that I've tried (Lou's, Clamps), so unless the whole list is just crap, Lake Zoar might actually belong on it. But I haven't been there in a while. Probably need to hit it again this week, just to refresh my taste memory.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Street parking at a meter is the best bet. You still have to pay but you can set the time and they take credit cards. Circle the block and you should find something.

The over cooked and under seasoned burgers should be the 2nd reason you don't go there. It wasn't that it didn't meet the hype, it was actually terrible in my experience. I have never had a terrible time street parking provided you don't mind walking a couple blocks.

First time in my life I've ever heard of someone getting an overcooked burger at Louis'. Either it was an aberration or you normally eat steak tartare burgers. I've definitely heard plenty of people who don't like them because they are basic and unseasoned, especially as compared with today's gourmet burgers, but they have been medium rare every time I've had them for the past 40 years or so. I go there maybe once a year, and only when I am in the mood to taste good, lean ground beef and little else. I do like them, but I love ketchup and lots of other stuff, depending on what I'm in the mood for. But the only way I could see Louis' being terrible is if you like everything about a burger except the burger itself.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As far as omissions from the Connecticut Magazine list, in terms of casual burger joints, I love the handmade, basic burger at the Dutch Tavern in New London, which is also a great classic joint with a pinball machine, Guinness on tap, tin ceiling, and Eugene O'Neill used to drink and write there.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not on this list but probably should be is the Engine Room in Mystic. I've only had their double stack but it is easily the equal of places like Max and Plan B.

Reaction Score
Street parking at a meter is the best bet. You still have to pay but you can set the time and they take credit cards. Circle the block and you should find something.

First time in my life I've ever heard of someone getting an overcooked burger at Louis'. Either it was an aberration or you normally eat steak tartare burgers. I've definitely heard plenty of people who don't like them because they are basic and unseasoned, especially as compared with today's gourmet burgers, but they have been medium rare every time I've had them for the past 40 years or so. I go there maybe once a year, and only when I am in the mood to taste good, lean ground beef and little else. I do like them, but I love ketchup and lots of other stuff, depending on what I'm in the mood for. But the only way I could see Louis' being terrible is if you like everything about a burger except the burger itself.

It sounds like an aberration but my experience was so bad that I don't think I would ever return. The doneness of the burger was similar to that of a hockey puck and regardless of the quality of meat, you need to atleast add a little bit of salt. A good burger is probably my favorite food in the world and I have relatively simple tastes, typically just the patty, a little bit of lettuce, a dollop of mustard and preferably a Martin potato bun.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It sounds like an aberration but my experience was so bad that I don't think I would ever return. The doneness of the burger was similar to that of a hockey puck and regardless of the quality of meat, you need to atleast add a little bit of salt. A good burger is probably my favorite food in the world and I have relatively simple tastes, typically just the patty, a little bit of lettuce, a dollop of mustard and preferably a Martin potato bun.
Yeah, sounds like an aberration. It's not other-worldly enough that I'd urge you to go back though. It's just good, lean ground beef, normally cooked medium rare, on toast. I use much less salt that most people I know, so I probably miss it far less, too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Through three different ownerships, although Bobby (current owner) has been there almost 25 years.

Not sure where that brain fart came from. Bobby's name is Mike. Duh. You see a balding, roly poly guy there, that's the owner. And his name ain't Bobby.

Reaction Score
Yeah, sounds like an aberration. It's not other-worldly enough that I'd urge you to go back though. It's just good, lean ground beef, normally cooked medium rare, on toast. I use much less salt that most people I know, so I probably miss it far less, too.

If I am in the area I would give it another shot but I'm probably not going to drive from Fairfield to visit. It was an accumulation of bad experiences, from the burger itself, to the rudeness of the staff, to the fact that had built it up in my head to such a high degree and I had brought my father there on Father's Day.

I love Shake Shack especially if I'm in a pinch so that should say everything about my salt preferences.

Folks always say that the best chili or the best barbecue is whatever they cook and that is probably true but you actually have to have a high level of skill to pull them off. Burgers are so unbelievably easy that there's no reason for the best burger to be the one that you prepare yourself.

Chili Bomb in Fairfield makes a pretty good burger and Plan B and Little Pub are solid enough. There's an incredibly divey little place on the Post Road in Westport near Stop & Shop that made me a great burger one time as well but I cannot remember the name.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with the best burger n CT, but an old dive on Rte 22A in Granville, NY was renovated -- I don't know, maybe 10 years back -- and the first time I stopped there, I was incredibly impressed with their burger. I felt it was among the best burgers I'd ever eaten. Maybe even the best. So much so that the next year, this time with a couple friends heading to Lake Champlain with me, I made it a point to stop there on the way up, with full intentions of stopping there again on the way home. Everyone was looking forward to this culinary masterpiece I'd raved about, even a buddy who normally eats red meat only a couple times a year.

The burgers were not in a league with the best ever. They weren't bad, but the word that comes to mind is pedestrian. To top it off, the owner and her daughter, who had been charming and friendly on my previous visit, seemed disinterested. I felt like a fool having to apologize for getting them to eat there. We ate elsewhere on the way home.

Everybody has a bad day, so I gave the place one more try, headed up that way the following summer. This time my wife was with me. Pedestrian had degenerated to sub par. Stale rolls, overcooked beef. And the personnel were now simply rude.

If you're ever in the Granville, NY area and you pass by a burger joint named Jenny's Pit Stop. Don't.
Just don't.

Reaction Score

As a Ted's guy growing up I'm hearing KLamay's is better? Good kid knew him going up was his camp counselor at Washington Park. Who has the insight I need to get to the Double Play Bar and Grille to try this out. Here's something I read:

Kevin LaMay learned about steamed cheeseburgers from the best: he worked at Ted’s as a teenager, and now he’s struck out on his own. His burger is indeed different from the rest: it’s steamed in a bigger, plastic tray that accommodates a 1/3-lb. burger. Other restaurants use the standard metal trays that steam 1/4-lb. burgers. The Kaiser roll he uses arrives fresh every day and is a bit larger to properly offset the meat/bread ratio. Maybe the plastic tray helps to lock in more moisture, because my burger was especially juicy and flavorful. Kevin may add some spice to the meat, but he’s not telling and I couldn’t identify it (maybe garlic? or pepper?). The Wisconsin sharp cheddar seems to be a similar cheese used around town, and as usual it’s the perfect foil for the meat. He also stocks Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce as a condiment on each table, which is another reason to love the place. Overall, the burger is quite excellent and should be sampled by all burger lovers, not just those be-all, end-all Ted’s proponents.

Kevin also sets himself apart by offering Foxon Park sodas, including white birch (what, no Iron Brew?). These, in addition to a wide selection of Stewart’s sodas and the usual Snapples, offer a respite from the pedestrian Coke/Pepsi products that others peddle. Fries and onion rings are available, in addition to a full line of Deep River potato chips, made in Old Lyme. The store is located next to Les’ Dairy Bar, to which one can stroll over for soft-serve ice cream in the warmer months. Locals awarded K. LaMay’s the Best Classic Burger award in last year’s Meriden Battle of the Burgers, and Kevin has a loyal following of fans who call in orders ahead of time. K. LaMay’s is open Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom