OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've never had a bad burger there, but the NY Steakhouse is probably the one that has remained my favorite over time. It's the first one I had there, and every time I go back to it it holds up well to the others, including several newer ones they've added over the years. Cowboy, Smoker (w/no onions), Honey Truffle, Sriracha Bacon, Cajun Patty Melt and Wild Mushroom and Garlic have all been excellent as well.

Cajun patty melt is my go to there.

Reaction Score
is Smashburger any good? I see one is now in Southington.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It's ok. A little bit pricy for it's business space but it's not terrible .

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

THere's a bunch in NJ, so I tried one recently. More loosely packed than Five Guys, so a sloppier eat, shoelace fries (normal portions), but more or less same price as Five Guys. Wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've never gotten the steamed cheeseburger thing. Something about eating grey meat that is unappetizing to me.

I love the cheese at Shady Glen, and I'm guessing that's the reason it's on the list (not because I love it, but because most people do). But yeah, at the end of the day you're simply eating crisply griddled American cheese.

I think you're right about Shady Glen. The burger itself is thin, always overcooked, and tasteless. As Waq mentioned, Corey's Catsup and Mustard is far and away better, and 5 minutes away.

I also object to Harry's being included. There's just nothing special about their burgers or their dogs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think you're right about Shady Glen. The burger itself is thin, always overcooked, and tasteless. As Waq mentioned, Corey's Catsup and Mustard is far and away better, and 5 minutes away.

I also object to Harry's being included. There's just nothing special about their burgers or their dogs.
Harry's is a big-ass bun with a tiny meatball inside.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As for the divey place, you may well have been at S&S dugout in Southport on the Westport line. Lots of formica. The Black Duck is a serious burger contender in Westport.
The friend who turned me on to S&S had no idea what its name was and simply called it "OPEN" because that was the most notable sign above the door.
Is the old guy still moving very slowly behind the griddle?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wallingford's Knucklehead's makes consistently awesome burgers and was a on a recently-posted Burger Bucket List for CT Burgers. Yet, it ain't on this list?

FAIL!

Knucklehead's on Center Street and the tap list is great, too.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
best burger place in Connecticut is in Brooklyn - NY, not CT. Peter Lugar at lunch!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'll tell you a overrated old-timey place - Blackies Hot Dogs.
I liked this by mistake. I love Blackies, because of the mustard/relish.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
best burger place in Connecticut is in Brooklyn - NY, not CT. Peter Lugar at lunch!

Without looking, I'm going to guess $28.

Edit: I looked. I'm impressed, only $14.95 (2015 price, anyway). Makes it a huge bargain compared to Smith & Wollensky ($22).

Reaction Score
Agree with Shady Glenn being overrated. Take that burnt cheese crud off of it and it's nothing more than a run of the mill diner burger. As for Ted's.. they steam a good ham

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would think you could unlike with a clear conscience here. I used to work near Blackie's and would never go just because everyone told me to go. "You'll love the relish" "Ehh, I hate relish". Anyway, a bit later I moved on to another spot but found myself driving by Blackie's at lunch time one day. Why not I thought, so I pulled in. One bite and all could think was "I'm an "

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was getting ice cream at shady glen just now and saw 5 dudes who had to be yarders getting burgers because of this thread. Love the shout out to Catsup and Mustard! However, the Hungry Tiger claims to have "The Best Burger in Town.":rolleyes:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agree with Shady Glenn being overrated. Take that burnt cheese crud off of it and it's nothing more than a run of the mill diner burger. As for Ted's.. they steam a good ham
THE AURORA BOREALIS LOCATED ENTIRELY IN YOUR KITCHEN.

Reaction Score
The friend who turned me on to S&S had no idea what its name was and simply called it "OPEN" because that was the most notable sign above the door.
Is the old guy still moving very slowly behind the griddle?

He has a very nice young lady doing most of the cooking but he pushes an occasional hot dog around. It's his place and the girl is not his grand daughter. That's all I got but you won't find that slice of Americana around much anywhere, anymore. Still 1965 there.

Reaction Score
He has a very nice young lady doing most of the cooking but he pushes an occasional hot dog around. It's his place and the girl is not his grand daughter. That's all I got but you won't find that slice of Americana around much anywhere, anymore. Still 1965 there.

Old man died a couple of years ago, he was in his 90's I believe, and worked at the restaurant right up to the end.

His son runs it now, super nice guy.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I can't believe it. Months ago I posted a question if Blackies was still going. Man, I was a kid eating those hot dogs. The relish was great. Had a bite to it. I remember the burgers, Not bad. Only used ketchup. Do they still close for the winter? Same building? If you didn't slow down you would miss it. On the way to Cheshire. I used to pound a six pack of those dogs.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Well, back in the day, in Waterbury, Watertown Road just before Municipal Stadium, there was a place called Big Toppe. Flamed broiled right in front of you. Put Burger King to shame. In fact I don't think BK was around then. Fantastic burgers. You had to dress them. It was across the street from a Litchfield Farms. I am guessing many of you weren't even born yet. *sigh*.

Reaction Score
On the subject of burger chains, a Shake Shack and Smash Burger open relatively close by (~10 miles). Worth the trip? And a Taco Bell! - going' international - also worth it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom