OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut Magazine Best Burger Places

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Sadly, try finding the NE rolls in any other part of the country. I guess they call them NE for a reason. I can buy HD rolls from a grocery store bakery where the four rolls in the middle of an eight roll pack are about the same thing when you pull them apart. They can be slit from the top, and grilled or toasted on both sides, but they're not the real thing. The four rolls on the edges only have one side you can grill or toast. A poor substitute.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a drive-in close to the old Savin Rock AP in West Haven called Jimmie's? I'm sure its gone the way of Savin Rock, but they were supposedly well known for their hot dogs. We only went there once and I don't remember much about their food.
By far the best hot dogs ever. Best fries, too. They tried to franchise -- had one in Fairfield for a couple years, and the food was just as good. It's still there, but they made it into a fancyazz sit down place, and it's not great any more. Still pretty good, but not world-class like it was.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's great I used to go watch a lot of these games. Had friends playing, Ironically I saw Dave McCullough's kid the other day.....Dave was very good.....and remember Barney Mestek(I think correct spelling) a former WTBY Dodger player? and Pete Duglenski? Man I think Im butchering the spelling, but Im old LOL

Pete Duglenski also played for the Vernon Orioles too my first year in the GHTBL and we beat them in the finals in a 2of 3 series. He was a lefty pitcher as well as a pretty good OFer if I have the right guy? My brother knew Dave McCullough said he was a good player and kinds nuts LOL, and played against Mestek as well.

Still wish I knew the name of the place we frequented, have to get ahold of one of my old buddies with a better memories because we had some good times there, also some long rides home.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The snack bar on the course at Stanley in NB has the butter grilled NE buns. Tremendous.

Why do non New England buns even exist?
Somebody at work mentioned that Stanley GC had a great hot dog.

Reaction Score
Jimmie's and Phyllis's were both good Savin Rock spots for that. Jimmie's had great dogs, as did the Cricket in Stratford as @RichZ notes, and also Danny's Drive-in Stratford as well.

But my favorite dog was the one they used to serve at the Windmill in Stratford: a Miller's Provisions dog on a bun from French's Bakery. Sadly only the Windmill is still in business, and now it's owned by Vazzy's. Good food, but not the same.
Dannys is still in business.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pete Duglenski also played for the Vernon Orioles too my first year in the GHTBL and we beat them in the finals in a 2of 3 series. He was a lefty pitcher as well as a pretty good OFer if I have the right guy? My brother knew Dave McCullough said he was a good player and kinds nuts LOL, and played against Mestek as well.

Still wish I knew the name of the place we frequented, have to get ahold of one of my old buddies with a better memories because we had some good times there, also some long rides home.
Wow - been going to Twilight league games since the 60s in Colt Park in Hartford
My Dad was best friends with Frank McCoy who coached the Vernon Orioles for almost 30 years
My brother played for the Orioles from 1977 thru 1981
I also am a friend of Steve Krajewski who played for Orioles for years
Small World

Reaction Score
Wow - been going to Twilight league games since the 60s in Colt Park in Hartford
My Dad was best friends with Frank McCoy who coached the Vernon Orioles for almost 30 years
My brother played for the Orioles from 1977 thru 1981
I also am a friend of Steve Krajewski who played for Orioles for years
Small World

Krash LOL, good dude. My brother also played with him prior (At Eastern I think he met him first?) and knew him very well much better than I. Coach McCoy good guy as were many of the Orioles. Played them one time during the regular season then went to the Legion Bar (Maybe Eagles or VFW?) to have a few with their guys after, good dudes. My first year was 1979 with Katz but we didn't play in the GHTBL until 1981 the MLB strike year, and we won the GHTBL our very first year beating the Orioles 2 of 3 at St Thomas Aquinas. May remember your brother they were fun days and a great summer baseball league. Real small world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Vernon Orioles. Used to see them at Henry Park. My dad would play beer league slow pitch there and I played Little League there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Krash LOL, good dude. My brother also played with him prior (At Eastern I think he met him first?) and knew him very well much better than I. Coach McCoy good guy as were many of the Orioles. Played them one time during the regular season then went to the Legion Bar (Maybe Eagles or VFW?) to have a few with their guys after, good dudes. My first year was 1979 with Katz but we didn't play in the GHTBL until 1981 the MLB strike year, and we won the GHTBL our very first year beating the Orioles 2 of 3 at St Thomas Aquinas. May remember your brother they were fun days and a great summer baseball league. Real small world.
The Legion
Was a member there (not a vet though) with my father and Frank McCoy - Crash was a member too
My brothers name is Craig and he usually played left field - played ball at SCSU
Steve K and I and my brother played for my father in Babe Ruth and he and my brother played for my father and Bob Berger for American Legion (Rockville)
Went to the Legion many times after games and Crash only drank Schaefer with Dube Putz (also player w/Orioles)
I worked with Crash for 3 summers - Town of Vernon Rec Dept

Did your brother know Pete Denz at ECSU? Pete and I were very close friends - he was a great athlete and pitcher

Reaction Score
The Legion
Was a member there (not a vet though) with my father and Frank McCoy - Crash was a member too
My brothers name is Craig and he usually played left field - played ball at SCSU
Steve K and I and my brother played for my father in Babe Ruth and he and my brother played for my father and Bob Berger for American Legion (Rockville)
Went to the Legion many times after games and Crash only drank Schaefer with Dube Putz (also player w/Orioles)
I worked with Crash for 3 summers - Town of Vernon Rec Dept

Did your brother know Pete Denz at ECSU? Pete and I were very close friends - he was a great athlete and pitcher

I will ask him the name sounds familiar. I may have to pull out the old scrap book to find your brother my memory has faded. While I was the young 3rd baseman on Katz and just out of legion ball my brother was really well known in that GHTBL having already played for Society for Savings for a few years. Guessing Krash and your brother would know him (Big John C, Formerly Mets farmhand).

Reaction Score
Maybe people were getting it confused with the other Plan B
Ive always found it an absolutely terrible name. Great burger the one time i did eat there. Teds is meh! Theyve really fallen off and K lamays cheese tastes odd to me. not a fan.

Reaction Score
I remember a nice little bar south of the stadium down Watertown Avenue. I think it was called the Sunrise Cafe.

Reaction Score
I remember a nice little bar south of the stadium down Watertown Avenue. I think it was called the Sunrise Cafe.

Hmmm, sounds familiar but not sure on that.

Reaction Score
I played for The Waterbury All Stars with Billy and Bobby Matzkevich. Bobby played at UConn. Still have all the clippings including this epic pitching battle with Allie Vestro's Shaker's Cougars. That was a great league.
View attachment 22290
We had a game where Ron Diorio who had pitched in the majors for Philly pitched against us as a
ringer at Hamilton Park. He blew us away, fun to watch. Yeah, major league pitching is a different animal.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Take it from me, Hankster, you're only as old as you think you are. I practice total age denial. If you ask anyone that knows me well enough, they will tell you I have the immature mentality level of a teenager, which is what I was all those many years ago watching Bonds hit HRs in Waterbury. It also helps to hang with millenials and Gen X'ers, and having teenage children also helps immensely. I've refused to grow up. Delusional yes, but it works for me. You're not getting older, you're getting better!
I have to agree Nick. lol. I love going back in time myself. Waterbury had all them all. Single Double and Triple A. But never got the draw they needed. I see the talk is about the Timers.Twilight League. I watched them in the early-mid 70's. I think the manager was a guy named Red. He also coached Crosby baseball.
I recall Thanksgiving day at Municipal. Four High Schools playing one quarter of football. Sport was HUGE in Waterbury. I recall when I was growing up.

Reaction Score

Scruples?, Was it close to the stadium

Reaction Score
I have to agree Nick. lol. I love going back in time myself. Waterbury had all them all. Single Double and Triple A. But never got the draw they needed. I see the talk is about the Timers.Twilight League. I watched them in the early-mid 70's. I think the manager was a guy named Red. He also coached Crosby baseball.
I recall Thanksgiving day at Municipal. Four High Schools playing one quarter of football. Sport was HUGE in Waterbury. I recall when I was growing up.
Yes they do that in basketball also, in the NVL. Call them Jambore's

Reaction Score
Red Kelly I believe

Reaction Score
We had a game where Ron Diorio who had pitched in the majors for Philly pitched against us as a
ringer at Hamilton Park. He blew us away, fun to watch. Yeah, major league pitching is a different animal.
Ron was also with the Yankees I think, minors at least, I think Dave Wallace pitched also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom