OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

Reaction Score
Well. Uruguay wins 2-1 over Portugal in a physical but interesting match. The pundits thought both teams would go into a shell lookign for counter attacks but happily, the pundits have no idea what is going on. Suarez and Cavani were to good. Cavani scored both goals (both high class efforts) but was hurt. I hope not serious. He is walking the sidelines. It will be sad when them World Cup ends and we are left with MSL soccer.

no worries........I think the Premier League starts up in mid August..........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Both matches yesterday go to KFTM. Spain with 74% possession and 26 shots couldn't get through a "defending for their lives" Russia. (kinda like Napoleon and Hitler - except in the summer :cool:) Akinfeev, who's played for Russia for about 14 years, with a couple saves and Russia is on to the Quarterfinals.

Croatia/Denmark - 1-1 after 4 minutes.....then still 1-1 after 120. :( On to KFTM. Denmark's Kaspar Schmeichel, channeling his father Peter, saves 2 kicks. Unfortunately, Croatia's Subatic saves 3 and Croatia moves on.

On today's docket, Brazil vs Mexico and Belgium vs Japan.

Reaction Score
Brazil Mexico is quite a game............our friends to the South showing little fear of the Brazilians.........that makes for very entertaining football but might cost them in the end.........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both matches yesterday go to KFTM. Spain with 74% possession and 26 shots couldn't get through a "defending for their lives" Russia. (kinda like Napoleon and Hitler - except in the summer :cool:) Akinfeev, who's played for Russia for about 14 years, with a couple saves and Russia is on to the Quarterfinals.

Croatia/Denmark - 1-1 after 4 minutes.....then still 1-1 after 120. :( On to KFTM. Denmark's Kaspar Schmeichel, channeling his father Peter, saves 2 kicks. Unfortunately, Croatia's Subatic saves 3 and Croatia moves on.

On today's docket, Brazil vs Mexico and Belgium vs Japan.

For those who do not speak soccer like me, I had to look up the acronym KFTM which apparently means
Kicks from the Penalty Mark

What is wrong with the colloquialism "Penalty Kicks" ? :confused:;)

By the way, Brazil has been the superior team for most of game (Mexico's defense is too shakey) takes a 1-0 lead in the 51'. Beautiful team goal with Neymar getting the final toe-kick goal

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Brazil wins 2-0. Mexico not in Brazil's class plain and simple.

If Belgium goes through as expected over Japan, a Belgium - Brazil QF match may be the real world cup.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Brazil Mexico is quite a game..our friends to the South showing little fear of the Brazilians....that makes for very entertaining football but might cost them in the end....
And it did. The pace, pressure, and heat destroyed Marquez after the first half as his 39 year old legs gave out. I told a Mexican friend of mine Brazil by 2 goals (I said 3-1) and it was clear by the end that the entire Mexican team was gassed. Brazil was able to beat them with their stars 1 on 1 and that puts too much pressure on a defense. Mexico played fearlessly, but talent ultimately won out .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Brazil wins 2-0. Mexico not in Brazil's class plain and simple.

If Belgium goes through as expected over Japan, a Belgium - Brazil QF match may be the real world cup.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
And it did. The pace, pressure, and heat destroyed Marquez after the first half as his 39 year old legs gave out. I told a Mexican friend of mine Brazil by 2 goals (I said 3-1) and it was clear by the end that the entire Mexican team was gassed. Brazil was able to beat them with their stars 1 on 1 and that puts too much pressure on a defense. Mexico played fearlessly, but talent ultimately won out .

I thought Marquez was over the hill years ago when he played for the Red Bulls..........Mexico could have parked the bus and lost one nothing.........I give them credit for their attempt.........Brazil is going to be difficult to beat by anybody this time.........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

What is wrong with the colloquialism "Penalty Kicks" ? :confused:;)
Nothing really, KFTM is just more accurate (I guess even more accurate is KFTPM - but they've be called KFTM for as long as I can remember). There was/is no penalty, so they are not really PKs. PKs are covered Law 14. KFTM are covered in Law 10. Two different/separate things, though mostly similar.

I teach Ref classes, so I try to keep with "proper" terms. Like saying Penalty Area instead of 18 Yard Box. And Offside instead of Offsides. So it's more habit for me. Or I try to make it a habit, so when I get observed by the State guys it's one less thing they can complain about. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nothing really, KFTM is just more accurate (I guess even more accurate is KFTPM - but they've be called KFTM for as long as I can remember). There was/is no penalty, so they are not really PKs. PKs are covered Law 14. KFTM are covered in Law 10. Two different/separate things, though mostly similar.

I teach Ref classes, so I try to keep with "proper" terms. Like saying Penalty Area instead of 18 Yard Box. And Offside instead of Offsides. So it's more habit for me. Or I try to make it a habit, so when I get observed by the State guys it's one less thing they can complain about. :rolleyes:

Myers what do you think of VAR? I think it may be a necessary evil but on the other hand it really takes away from the flow of the game..........I like the goal line technology and perhaps VAR should only be used on scoring or potential scoring plays............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Myers what do you think of VAR? I think it may be a necessary evil but on the other hand it really takes away from the flow of the game.....I like the goal line technology and perhaps VAR should only be used on scoring or potential scoring plays..
I like the idea. Not always the implementation, so far anyway. Hopefully they will get better/quicker with it. I believe they are only supposed to use it on scoring/potential scoring plays (offside leading to scoring). And somehow on Yellow/Red card stuff. (Like I think they could have used it on Zidane's headbutt a few years back.) Stuff like that. I think that's part of the problem sometimes is what exactly can they use it on.

If you ever watch Rugby, they do a great job with it.

Of course I'll never see it at my level of reffing, except for the occasional parent who wants to show me what they recorded on their phone (and how I was wrong). :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Japan takes a 1-0 lead in the 48' on a stutter step move and finish that was sublime. Belgium's Hazzard hits the post 1 minute later. Had loads of time. Should have done better.

OMG Japan goes up 2-0 with a fantastic shot in the 52' into the upper right corner from 25 yards out. The play was made before the shot with an incredible display of ball control. Very very impressive.

Japan is looking like a whole team of little Messi's. ;)

Lukaku misses a relatively easy header from the box in the 62'. Ouch.

69'. Belgium scores in the 69' on a header that defies the laws of physics. 2-1 Japan.

Fellanai ties it up with a strong header in the 73'. Fantastic game.

Belgium in the 94' minute on one of the most beautiful team oriented fast breaks scores in the 94' minute.

Lukaku played a dummy fake that was just a work of art.

Brazil vs Belgium in the true World Cup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Japan takes a 1-0 lead in the 48' on a stutter step move and finish that was sublime. Belgium's Hazzard hits the post 1 minute later. Had loads of time. Should have done better.

OMG Japan goes up 2-0 with a fantastic shot in the 52' into the upper right corner from 25 yards out. The play was made before the shot with an incredible display of ball control. Very very impressive.

Japan is looking like a whole team of little Messi's. ;)

Lukaku misses a relatively easy header from the box in the 62'. Ouch.

69'. Belgium scores in the 69' on a header that defies the laws of physics. 2-1 Japan.

Fellanai ties it up with a strong header in the 73'. Fantastic game.

Belgium in the 94' minute on one of the most beautiful team oriented fast breaks scores in the 94' minute.

Lukaku played a dummy fake that was just a work of art.

Brazil vs Belgium in the true World Cup.

glad to see my Manchester United players helping to pull that one out for Belgium.............what a finish..............

Reaction Score
I hope England puts on a good performance today..........their fans/press can really be nasty.......if they can get through to the next round they would pretty much meet expectations for the current team

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Outside of straight out winning, if England can win on penalty kicks and erase historical results, that would be thrilling. To bad I can't think of a good excuse to not work today. :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well. Just saw that Sweden advanced over Switzerland 1-0 on a Emil Forsberg goal. He is a great player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Snuck out of work to see England - Columbia. ;) Pretty evenly matched so far.

Reaction Score
Snuck out of work to see England - Columbia. ;) Pretty evenly matched so far.

sorry no reports from me earlier.....I've been locked out.........England with the better of the play but they have not taken advantage of numerous set pieces.......only real chance of scoring had Kane head a cross over the bar...........Columbia clutching and grabbing. looking to score on the counter..........better clean that up or they will be down to ten men........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
sorry no reports from me earlier.....I'mensch.ve been locked out....England with the better of the play but they have not taken advantage of numerous set pieces..only real chance of scoring had Kane head a cross over the bar......Columbia clutching and grabbing. looking to score on the counter.....better clean that up or they will be down to ten men...

Kane earns a penalty kick and goes 1-0 up in the 58' . Apparently, Columbia thinks the England players should be ridden like horses or brought down like bulls. As dirty and as aggravating a team as I have ever seen. Makes Neymar look like a mensch.

England now showing superior play and I am afraid Columbia will go headhunting. :mad:

Well, the curse of England. Columbia ties it up at 1-1 from nowhere with a good header in the box in the 93' Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kane earns a penalty kick and goes 1-0 up in the 58' . Apparently, Columbia thinks the England players should be ridden like horses or brought down like bulls. As dirty and as aggravating a team as I have ever seen. Makes Neymar look like a mensch.

England now showing superior play and I am afraid Columbia will go headhunting. :mad:

Well, the curse of England. Columbia ties it up at 1-1 from nowhere with a good header in the box in the 93' Head bang

what a shocker..........almost scored on that long blast seconds earlier........surprised England didn't sub more....they look tired out there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom