OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

Reaction Score
...secondly why do penalty shot takers insist on shooting the ball low and to the corner? That's clearly the easiest save for the goalie other then blasting it straight at him..rarely do you see high shots a foot under the bar get saved....these guys must practice these shots.are they that nervous about missing above the crossbar?

Yes, they absolutely are that nervous about skying it. Under that kind of pressure, it is very easy to get under the ball and go way over the bar. It only takes a very small miss to get a very bad result. Some of the best in the game have missed badly when they tried to go high under pressure. A high shot will almost never be saved but can easily be missed. For example, look at Roberto Baggio in the 1994 World Cup. Baggio, one of the greatest players of all time, sent his kick five feet over the bar with the World Cup on the line. Without pressure, he likely could tuck a kick under the bar 50 times in a row with no trouble.

Baggio:

Reaction Score
Last minutes, players were running on fumes. The exhaustion of both teams should end the stupidity that you can get rid of penalty kicks. to decide games.

Yes, you can't continue to play indefinitely. But there are several alternatives to penalty kicks that would be preferable. PK's are not much different than tossing a coin and don't in any way help determine the better team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, you can't continue to play indefinitely. But there are several alternatives to penalty kicks that would be preferable. PK's are not much different than tossing a coin and don't in any way help determine the better team.
I agree. As one American broadcaster said PK's are the equivalent of settling a tied World Series game with a home run hitting contest.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ll be watching the England game from London on Wednesday. Should be wild!!

Reaction Score
I have a friend who is a borough commander for the London Fire Brigade. After the game ended on Saturday he said his pager was going off non-stop for fires. I would imagine it will only get worse for the semi-final and it will be quite mad if they win the whole thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Such as??

I agree. As one American broadcaster said PK's are the equivalent of settling a tied World Series game with a home run hitting contest.

That actually sounds like a great idea. Would certainly make baseball more entertaining.

I actually like KFTM. There is quite a bit of skill and nerve involved.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We like to think that sporting events are all about the 'better team' winning, but the reality especially in single elimination tournaments is that a huge part of winning is 'luck'. Best of five or seven series are much better at answering who is the 'best', but they remain somewhat dependent on chance, too.

Be interesting to see basketball go to free throw shooting at the end of two OTs - one shot for each of the five players on the court at the buzzer with a second round sudden death if it is tied after five!

Continuing to play soccer or football or basketball as players becoming exhausted (or foul out) isn't really determining the better team any more than penalty kicks.

Reaction Score
Continuing to play soccer or football or basketball as players becoming exhausted (or foul out) isn't really determining the better team any more than penalty kicks.

Which is exactly what I said in my post. However there are much better ways to break a tie with methods that are much more like real soccer and are more likely to reward the better team. Kicks from the mark are not much different than tossing a coin. Why use a method totally unrelated to real soccer?

JordyG

Reaction Score
We like to think that sporting events are all about the 'better team' winning, but the reality especially in single elimination tournaments is that a huge part of winning is 'luck'. Best of five or seven series are much better at answering who is the 'best', but they remain somewhat dependent on chance, too.

Be interesting to see basketball go to free throw shooting at the end of two OTs - one shot for each of the five players on the court at the buzzer with a second round sudden death if it is tied after five!

Continuing to play after regulation as players become exhausted would certainly show team depth, the ability for players to conserve their energy during the game (also the ability teams have to make precise passes during the game that uses less energy), and the ability to play through exhaustion. Not to mention team fitness, how they hydrated before the game, etc. That is all part of being a "team". After regulation where there is little to choose between two teams, what other measurement or metrics are their to prove superiority?

And having a FT contest after OT"s? C'mon Uc. I expected better from you. That would be as relevant as having a TD celebration competition after OT. I'm certain some fans would love it, call it "The most exciting event in sports", and it would save us from the drudgery of more football. But what has any of this to do with the game and sport of competition? It all just sounds like superficiality. The easy way out.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Which is exactly what I said in my post. However there are much better ways to break a tie with methods that are much more like real soccer and are more likely to reward the better team. Kicks from the mark are not much different than tossing a coin. Why use a method totally unrelated to real soccer?

In looking for these magical alternatives, I looked for internet guidance

10 Alternatives to Penalty Shootouts

While some idea's have some levels of merit, there is no magic solution that I see.

The one that sought of sounded interesting to me was "ADG". Attacker-Defender GoalKeeper (#1)

Attacker Defender Goalkeeper – An Alternative to the Penalty Shootout

but I imagine every defender will interact in such a way as to nearly always foul the offensive player.

In general, the proof is in the pudding. If something clearly better existed, it would be adopted

And for viewers, I have only heard things like " The most exciting event in sports"

JordyG

Reaction Score
That actually sounds like a great idea. Would certainly make baseball more entertaining.

Cute. Glib. Thanks once again for the snark.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ummm :confused:, KFTM are very similar to PKs. It's pretty related to soccer.

Reaction Score
France - Belgium...............I'd like to see Belgium win but I predict France will win it 3-2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
0-0 at the half. The excellence of both teams just oozes across the tv screen. What a bummer when WC ends.

Update 1. France goes up 1-0 with a nice header in 51'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1-0 France is the final........second half not as exciting as the first.........Belgium just couldn't create enough offensively mostly because France was excellent on defense...........picked the the right team just the wrong score......

Reaction Score
Ummm :confused:, KFTM are very similar to PKs. It's pretty related to soccer.

I don't think it's really soccer at all. Tossing a coin would be about as relevant - and shorter. Same as a FT shooting contest to decide a basketball game, or a home run derby in lieu of extra innings for baseball. Right now, there is nothing worse in soccer than deciding who advances by KFTM.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Continuing to play after regulation as players become exhausted would certainly show team depth, the ability for players to conserve their energy during the game (also the ability teams have to make precise passes during the game that uses less energy), and the ability to play through exhaustion.

It's bad enough when teams play for PK's. It would be worse if they played for infinite extra time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom