OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

Reaction Score
I think England needs some work on their headers..........they haven't been close in about eight tries

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here we go. Penalty shootout. Can England reverse their sorry history of failed penalty kicks?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
England comes back from 1 down in the shoot out. Wins 4-3. Very happy.

Reaction Score
England comes back from 1 down in the shoot out. Wins 4-3. Very happy.

wow........thank goodness............ wouldn't want to read the English press if they had lost that one........looked like Dier scuffed that ball a bit.........they've got Sweden next right?.............should be favored in that one too..........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
wow...thank goodness.. wouldn't want to read the English press if they had lost that one...looked like Dier scuffed that ball a bit....they've got Sweden next right?...should be favored in that one too.....

Not sure. England will not get much respect imho. Sweden is another bugaboo for England. They do not have a very good historic record winning just one of the last eight meetings (but lots of draws). But I like their chances and Harry Kane is a stud.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France up 1-0 at half with a magisterial flick header in the 40'. Uruguay had some golden chances but incredible goal keeping stopped a dangerous header before half time. Shame Cavani cant play.

Update: Soft goal let in by Uruguay Goal Keeper in 61'. 2-0 France.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
France up 1-0 at half with a magisterial flick header in the 40'. Uruguay had some golden chances but incredible goal keeping stopped a dangerous header before half time. Shame Cavani cant play.

Update: Soft goal let in by Uruguay Goal Keeper in 61'. 2-0 France.

I wonder if Cavani playing would have made that much of a difference

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If there were no NFL in this country, Lukaku is what American soccer would look like. Big, fast, smart, and dominant. And let's not mention what our rugby team would look like, nor how we would dominate each sport for years. Or how much the world would hate us even more.

Reaction Score
If there were no NFL in this country, Lukaku is what American soccer would look like. Big, fast, smart, and dominant. And let's not mention what our rugby team would look like, nor how we would dominate each sport for years. Or how much the world would hate us even more.

the Belgium-France game should be something.........

JordyG

Reaction Score
the Belgium-France game should be something....
Nah, not as much. You've already said it. This was the final. Everything else was and is just prologue.

Reaction Score
Nah, not as much. You've already said it. This was the final. Everything else was and is just prologue.

now if the English can only get past those stubborn Swedes it will certainly put them in excellent position.........they better do it this time as they've given a pretty easy run

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We are in Brussels and lasr night the city center was nuts It was fun to be here! Someone set off a flare in the middle of the crowd on the steps of the Bourse and then led a congo over to the drums in the middle! Just crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_221647.jpg
    IMG_20180706_221647.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
Reaction Score
England leads Sweden 1-0 at the half on set piece header from Harry McGuire..........England dominated the first half but missed numerous opportunities to get that second goal..........hope that doesn't come back to haunt them

Reaction Score
England leads Sweden 1-0 at the half on set piece header from Harry McGuire.....England dominated the first half but missed numerous opportunities to get that second goal.....hope that doesn't come back to haunt them

Agree, lot's of selfish shooting. Passing up on open players...as I write this, England goes up 2-0.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree, lot's of selfish shooting. Passing up on open players...as I write this, England goes up 2-0.

England playing very well. Sweden has had almost no run of play until a beautiful flurry. But Pickford in goal has been fantastic. Lets go Lions.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sweden again showed they were a tall, well disciplined team, but plodding and not very imaginative. England outplayed them all over the pitch. They were faster, more creative, well disciplined and had finishers (are you listening Brasil?). But once again England showed how dangerous they are in the air on crosses. I'm still not convinced England has enough to beat Belgium, but they're the team I'm rooting for. However, if Sterling learns to finish, this team will be dangerous for years to come.

Reaction Score
Sweden again showed they were a tall, well disciplined team, but plodding and not very imaginative. England outplayed them all over the pitch. They were faster, more creative, well disciplined and had finishers (are you listening Brasil?). But once again England showed how dangerous they are in the air on crosses. I'm still not convinced England has enough to beat Belgium, but they're the team I'm rooting for. However, if Sterling learns to finish, this team will be dangerous for years to come.

I prefer Rashford over Sterling for just that reason........he's almost as quick and usually doesn't miss the chances that Sterling does.......of course I'm also a Manchester United fan and despise Manchester City............

JordyG

Reaction Score
I prefer Rashford over Sterling for just that reason...he's almost as quick and usually doesn't miss the chances that Sterling does..of course I'm also a Manchester United fan and despise Manchester City..
Rashford is bigger and stronger too. But man, that Sterling creates chances every time he touches the ball. Once he gets it they'll be no stopping him.

Reaction Score
Rashford is bigger and stronger too. But man, that Sterling creates chances every time he touches the ball. Once he gets it they'll be no stopping him.

that's "if" he gets it..........there have been plenty of talented players that just never developed the knack for finishing over the years...........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Croatia - Russia in a very open entertaining and clean game. Croatia just ties it up in the 39' on a beautiful controlled pass on to the head of the striker 1-1

Update: Croatia takes a 2-1 lead in the 100' of first OT. Only fair. Croatia was by far the better team. Got to admit, I was hoping for penalty kicks for my selfish entertainment. :rolleyes:

Update 2: Russia ties it in the 115' at 2-2 . OMG.

Whichever team comes through, I imagine England will have a decided advantage since the other team will be much more physically and emotionally spent.

Update 3: Penalty kicks coming. :D:D:D:D

Last minutes, players were running on fumes. The exhaustion of both teams should end the stupidity that you can get rid of penalty kicks. to decide games.

Fun fact. The Croatian goalkeeper had a hamstring issue during the game. Seems ok now but can never be sure.

Penalty Score (4-3 Croatia)

Russia N Y N Y Y

Croatia Y N Y Y Y

Russia loses but deserves a lot of credit.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
that's "if" he gets it.....there have been plenty of talented players that just never developed the knack for finishing over the years......
Ain't that the truth. Just look at Freddie Adu. Not only a problem finishing, but just living up to his early talent.

Reaction Score
Croatia - Russia in a very open entertaining and clean game. Croatia just ties it up in the 39' on a beautiful controlled pass on to the head of the striker 1-1

Update: Croatia takes a 2-1 lead in the 100' of first OT. Only fair. Croatia was by far the better team. Got to admit, I was hoping for penalty kicks for my selfish entertainment. :rolleyes:

Update 2: Russia ties it in the 115' at 2-2 . OMG.

Whichever team comes through, I imagine England will have a decided advantage since the other team will be much more physically and emotionally spent.

Update 3: Penalty kicks coming. :D:D:D:D

Last minutes, players were running on fumes. The exhaustion of both teams should end the stupidity that you can get rid of penalty kicks. to decide games.

Fun fact. The Croatian goalkeeper had a hamstring issue during the game. Seems ok now but can never be sure.

Penalty Score (4-3 Croatia)

Russia N Y N Y Y

Croatia Y N Y Y Y

Russia loses but deserves a lot of credit.

I have two thoughts..........I've often wonder why none of the European leagues haven't gone to four or five substitutions during a game instead of the current three.........seems to me that the quality of play suffers as the game reaches the later minutes and the idea that each side should just tough it out seems a bit old fashioned for these times.......it's not like having free substitutions as they have in college soccer.......that would be going to far.........secondly why do penalty shot takers insist on shooting the ball low and to the corner? That's clearly the easiest save for the goalie other then blasting it straight at him............rarely do you see high shots a foot under the bar get saved.........these guys must practice these shots......are they that nervous about missing above the crossbar?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom