OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
By the by. Looking at the attendance of some of these games I'm completely underwhelmed. Lots of empties for these early rounds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Germany was down 1-0 at half. But they tie it up in the 48' and win on a free kick in the last minute of injury time. 90+5'.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A tournament-saving, last-gasp free kick by Germany, in the 94th minute and playing a man down after Boateng was sent off. Dramatic.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Magnificent German goal...a sleeping giant has awoken!
I tend to think that a last second win against a rather plodding but tall Swedish team hardly qualifies as an awakening. Sweden didn't have the speed to effectively mark their men, jump the passing lanes, and mount quick strike counter attacks as Mexico did. That certainly showed the formula for beating this team. This German team is placing it's bet on precise, quick passes and exacting alignments, movement, and placement of their forwards and midfielders. Not particularly on speed, creativity, and passion. For me Germany's win just delays the inevitable.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I tend to think that a last second win against a rather plodding but tall Swedish team hardly qualifies as an awakening. Sweden didn't have the speed to effectively mark their men, jump the passing lanes, and mount quick strike counter attacks as Mexico did. That certainly showed the formula for beating this team. This German team is placing it's bet on precise, quick passes and exacting alignments, movement, and placement of their forwards and midfielders. Not particularly on speed, creativity, and passion. For me Germany's win just delays the inevitable.
We shall see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
England up 5-0 after 1st half. Equal part brilliant set pieces and poor marking + 2 very deserved penalty kicks. Harry Kane delivers on both with
top corner blasts that cant be covered even if the goalie guesses corrects. Would be nice to see them make a deep run.

Edit: England is under a lucky star. Goes up 6-0 at 61' on a deflection goal off of Harry Kane's magical heel. Hat trick. Now being substituted.

Reaction Score
the England vs, Belgium game should be a classic.........winner takes the group so it means something to both sides......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
the England vs, Belgium game should be a classic....winner takes the group so it means something to both sides.

I am not sure since they both are in the knock out stage and jockeying for position is generally overrated and can backfire. I think both teams may think of resting (at last a half) or even more severely keeping them out not to risk injury to their stars (Kane / Lukaku, Hazzard) . Still, substituting out too many regulars can backfire if substitutes are needed in case of injuries.

In other news, Japan - Senegal was a great match ending in a 2-2 draw. A fun tight game where both teams were brave and looking to win. Also, while very physical, their was a level of sportsmanship in this game that caught my eye.

The draw sets up the Columbia -Poland game as an elimination game since the loser is out. However, if they end in a tie and they both win the 3rd group game, all teams in group H will have 4 pts. Pretty cool. Got to brush up on the tie breakers although I am sure goal differential and total goals will be the first 2 tie breakers.

Update: Columbia making Poland look like sloths. Up 3-0 at the 80' mark with some of the best linking play and shots with composure I have seen. The crowd must be 90% Columbian. Happy for them after having to play game 1 with 10 men from minute 3 and almost taking a point.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The draw sets up the Columbia -Poland game as an elimination game since the loser is out. However, if they end in a tie and they both win the 3rd group game, all teams in group H will have 4 pts. Pretty cool. Got to brush up on the tie breakers although I am sure goal differential and total goals will be the first 2 tie breakers.

Update: Columbia making Poland look like sloths. Up 3-0 at the 80' mark with some of the best linking play and shots with composure I have seen. The crowd must be 90% Columbian. Happy for them after having to play game 1 with 10 men from minute 3 and almost taking a point.
And Poland was the seeded team in that group. Go figure.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Our arch rival won. The most hated team for a USA fan won. Very, very bad.

(to a USA fan, Mexico is basically Tennessee)

They did have an excellent game plan though, and executed it very well. :(
Time out. If Mexico actually had an excellent game plan and executed it very well wouldn't that make them basically the opposite of Tennessee? :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Russia losing 2-0 to Uruguay at the 22' mark. Could be worse. Both teams playing so open and stretched. Surprising to me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the "it must be true" category.

The South Korean approach to confuse opponents was a little different. Manager Shin Tae-yong made his players wear different numbers on their shirts to befuddle any watching scouts. (during practice I assume)

"We switched them around because we didn't want to show our opponents everything and to try and confuse them," Shin said. "They might know a few of our players, but it is very difficult for Westerners to distinguish between Asians and that's why we did that."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Messi had scored in the 14' to give Argentina a 1-0 lead and chance at getting out of the group. But they give up a penalty kick to Nigeria in the 51'. A 1-1 tie
would end it for Argentina. I am pulling hard for Messi. Come on.

Update. Argentina scores in 86' 2-1. and Iceland is behind 2-1 so if it holds for the last few minutes, Argentina is in. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It is official. Both Nigeria and Iceland could have (and should have) been able to capture second place in the group but both give up late goals. Argentina is in and Messi breaks his crazy 600' goalless streak at the WC.

Just saw the Messi goal. Classic linkup and finish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a way I was hoping Argentina would not advance to next round simply because of Maradona. Fox Network managed to give the viewers a quick view of him flipping both birds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a way I was hoping Argentina would not advance to next round simply because of Maradona. Fox Network managed to give the viewers a quick view of him flipping both birds.

This is the best way to excise Maradona and put him in the rear where he belongs.

Reaction Score
This is the best way to excise Maradona and put him in the rear where he belongs.

Hope Fox learned a lesson here, show the game, forget who's in the stands.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looking forward to this grouping. Mexico-Sweden Germany - Steven Krajewski

Rooting for Mexico. Needs a tie to advance.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You were correct. GO SUISSE!!!
Germany was an impatient team this year that showed little imagination or drive, and lacked a real finisher. Go Mexico.

Reaction Score
wouldn't mind seeing Argentina upset France today.............the Argentinians seem like they may become suicidal with another disappointing showing................

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
wouldn't mind seeing Argentina upset France today...the Argentinians seem like they may become suicidal with another disappointing showing......

I would like Portugal and Argentina to advance for a Renaldo - Messi matchup. But both are probably underdogs (with Argentina being particularly vulnerable due to very destructive coaching environment) so I dont' think Argentina would go mass suicide if they lose (unlike the situation in group play before their 3rd game win where Messi would have led the Suicide march)

Update : Argentina announces their lineup. No Sergio Aguerro. Announcers saying Messi is running the show and the lineup is strange to say the least??

Update 2: De Maria with a fabulous goal to tie things up 1-1 at half. Messi pretty invisible so far.

Update 3: 2 minutes after writing update 2,Messi gets a ball off and deflects beautifully into goal in 48'. 2-1 Argentina. :D:D

Update 4: France ties it 2--2 in the 57' on an absolutely fantastic half volley 30 yard laser beam. :(:(

Update 5: Mbappe (19 yr old teenager) whos was solely responsible for the 1st penalty kick given and a near 2nd penalty kick scores on a beautiful interior move in the 67'. Poor goaltending helped. France up 3-2.

This kid will soon be one of the best players in the world. Super strong and super fast.

Update 6: 30 seconds after writing Update 5, Mbappe scores again on a counter attack. 4-2 france

Update 7. Argentina (Aguerro) scores in stoppage at 90+3' and had a chance to tie it up in the last minute. No reason Aguerro who is a world class finisher should not have played from the start and provide more support for Messi.:mad::mad:Head bangHead bang

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well. Uruguay wins 2-1 over Portugal in a physical but interesting match. The pundits thought both teams would go into a shell lookign for counter attacks but happily, the pundits have no idea what is going on. Suarez and Cavani were to good. Cavani scored both goals (both high class efforts) but was hurt. I hope not serious. He is walking the sidelines. It will be sad when them World Cup ends and we are left with MSL soccer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom