OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sports "wall". Hhhhmmmm. ;)

All kidding aside, Mexico played great. Their individual skill was evident in the 1st half buzzing Germany often on counter attacks and precise passing in small zones when Germany tried to press. The US will never match those skills unfortunately. The US is all about crosses and dumps.

On the other hand,. Mexico was in surprisingly precise defensive form in the second half. I was surprised they went into a defensive shell so early in the second half but their defensive effort was fantastic. :D:D:D:D

I don't know if they will make a deep run but I will root hard.
Your comment about the US's predictability and lesser individual talent is on the money. Meanwhile Brazil playing like a typical Brazil team. Lots of talent, each player thinking he's the next Pele, with no real team cohesion. Brazil once again is a small team as well and the Swiss took advantage of that during their set piece goal. Let's see how soon the Brazil team starts pointing fingers at each other. Neymar looks a little behind the pace, and Paulinho is invisible.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Your comment about the US's predictability and lesser individual talent is on the money. Meanwhile Brazil playing like a typical Brazil team. Lots of talent, each player thinking he's the next Pele, with no real team cohesion. Brazil once again is a small team as well and the Swiss took advantage of that during their set piece goal. Let's see how soon the Brazil team starts pointing fingers at each other. Neymar looks a little behind the pace, and Paulinho is invisible.

I generally like the Brazil team although in the past, it was alot of machismo flair and poor defensive play although from reports, they have become better in that respect with new coaching principles. However, the set piece defense was really pathetic. Furthermore, Neymar is way over the top in his whining and diving and the team as a whole seemed to me to play as if the Swiss should not even be on the same pitch. With Germany, Spain, France, Argentina and Brazil looking very beatable for the most part, I would say this is a completely wide open tournament. :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
I generally like the Brazil team although in the past, it was alot of machismo flair and poor defensive play although from reports, they have become better in that respect with new coaching principles. However, the set piece defense was really pathetic. Furthermore, Neymar is way over the top in his whining and diving and the team as a whole seemed to me to play as if the Swiss should not even be on the same pitch. With Germany, Spain, France, Argentina and Brazil looking very beatable for the most part, I would say this is a completely wide open tournament. :)
Nailed it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tears and unbridled joy today in Mexico. Proud day for a country that just jumped over its highest sports wall ever.
Sad day for all USA fans.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sad day for all USA fans.
For our soccer team and we who love that team of course. Perhaps we should build a higher sports wall. We're in good company though seeing as how Italy's fans are drowning themselves in vino right now. Also note how few English fans made it to watch their Lions against Tunisia. Spending 5 or 6K to watch your team stuffed in round 2 seems not to agree with many English footie fans. While watching Brazil wet the bed against Switzerland (?) and Germany (?!) lose, well, the big six in football are collectively drinking a lot of Pepto-Bismol Ultra right now.

I have to admit to my hypocritical behavior. I'm purportedly not a soccer fan, but I sure do watch and enjoy a lot of World Cup every 4 years don't I?

JordyG

Reaction Score
My did the Brits escape disaster today. Yet this is a young, talented and diverse team that shows a little creativity. More than some of the stodgy teams England has placed on the World's pitch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why sad?
Our arch rival won. The most hated team for a USA fan won. Very, very bad.

(to a USA fan, Mexico is basically Tennessee)

They did have an excellent game plan though, and executed it very well. :(

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Our arch rival won. The most hated team for a USA fan won. Very, very bad.

(to a USA fan, Mexico is basically Tennessee)

I beg to differ.

In the context of world soccer, the rivalry between the U.S. and Mexico is more like the rivalry between Central Michigan and Buffalo, than the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I beg to differ.

In the context of world soccer, the rivalry between the U.S. and Mexico is more like the rivalry between Central Michigan and Buffalo, than the rivalry between UConn and Tennessee.
You can beg all you want, but you are completely and unconditionally wrong. Have you not been following Donovan's commercial uproar???

The context is not world soccer, it is the USA.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wow, Columbia is gone. Still, although they gave up 3 to Ronaldo Spain still looks to be the best of the lot so far. Brazil again looks like a bunch of pampered babies, Germany looked slow and predictable, Portugal is one bad day from Ronaldo and they're eliminated, Argentina is, well Messi. Italy and the US are playing like the teams to beat. At foosball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You can beg all you want, but you are completely and unconditionally wrong. Have you not been following Donovan's commercial uproar???

The context is not world soccer, it is the USA.
I cannot be wrong (much less completely, and even less so unconditionally) because these are what would be classified as opinions. Some people want to treat Mexico as the hated archrival for whom no fate can be too harsh. Others of us cheer on the success of the Mexican team. To each his own.

Uproar? Please. Taylor Twellman being a big drama queen doesn't count as an "uproar" in my book. In fact it's become rather routine.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I cannot be wrong (much less completely, and even less so unconditionally) because these are what would be classified as opinions. Some people want to treat Mexico as the hated archrival for whom no fate can be too harsh. Others of us cheer on the success of the Mexican team. To each his own.

Uproar? Please. Taylor Twellman being a big drama queen doesn't count as an "uproar" in my book. In fact it's become rather routine.
I agree in the sense that I do cheer their success and I was rooting hard for them to win. But the fact remains that in the world of FIBA they are our arch rival and have been for 20 years. I felt some sadness because the US team should have players with the individual talent that the Mexican players have, and the US should be in Russia having success equal to Mexico's in the least.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Watching Senegal and Poland. After Senegal's second goal there should be a catchall phrase, "Only in Futbol".

JordyG

Reaction Score
Let me know when the US qualifies again. Until then, snooze.
By the time that happens someone may be throwing dirt on your face while singing homilies. You may want to enjoy something of these great athletes now, even though none are American.

Reaction Score
I don't like watching European soccer players, they are a bunch of pre-Madonnas.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't like watching European soccer players, they are a bunch of pre-Madonnas.
Excuse me. Highly overpaid prima donna's. More like post-Màradona's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watching Senegal and Poland. After Senegal's second goal there should be a catchall phrase, "Only in Futbol".

Nothing beats the "own goal" by Egypt to put Russia up 1-0. Almost perfect form from some distance into how own goal. Russia's second goal was excellent and they are now up 3-1 and will definitely qualify for the knockout stage. Perhaps they are a real threat with the home advantage.

Probably in the minority but I enjoy watching soccer played by anyone at the highest level. Something the US is not ready for as far as I can see. Even when we qualified, the games were an exercise in not losing and hoping for set pieces where our physicality may give us a gift goal. I hope this changes but I am not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
The US soccer coaching staffs are all sucks. Women or men.
Wish I have the power to change all that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Being a fan of the USA is not an opinion. A true fan of the RedSox doesn't support the Yankees. A true fan of Michigan doesn't support Ohio St. A true fan of USANT doesn't support Mexico.

Now a passing fan who has no clue? Sure, they just don't know any better.

You obviously missed Bocanegra, Martino, Jones. You've already demonstrated your book is a child's bedtime story.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disagree. I watch a ton of European soccer, the primadonnas are few and far between. The best players play the hardest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom