OT... Any one watching the World Cup? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT... Any one watching the World Cup?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Being a fan of the USA is not an opinion. A true fan of the RedSox doesn't support the Yankees. A true fan of Michigan doesn't support Ohio St. A true fan of USANT doesn't support Mexico.

Now a passing fan who has no clue? Sure, they just don't know any better.

You obviously missed Bocanegra, Martino, Jones. You've already demonstrated your book is a child's bedtime story.

I'm pleased to not know any better. I've often been a witness to you in that state on sooooo many issues.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Being a fan of the USA is not an opinion. A true fan of the RedSox doesn't support the Yankees. A true fan of Michigan doesn't support Ohio St. A true fan of USANT doesn't support Mexico.

Now a passing fan who has no clue? Sure, they just don't know any better.

You obviously missed Bocanegra, Martino, Jones. You've already demonstrated your book is a child's bedtime story.

Oh, my goodness. So because three of the players on the U.S. team think one way, I have to think like them as well? At some point I'll have to scour the memos in my inbox, because it seems I missed that one.

But for now, I have some futbol to watch.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That was quick. Ronaldo scores in the 4' minute on a powerful (but surprisingly open) header and just misses one at the 9'.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh, my goodness. So because three of the players on the U.S. team think one way, I have to think like them as well?
No, you can think anyway you want. Nobody says you have to think correctly. Or be a fan.

At some point I'll have to scour the memos in my inbox, because it seems I missed that one.
Yea, seems like you've missed a lot.

But for now, I have some futbol to watch.
Their telecasts are usually better.

Reaction Score
Morocco get's no love from the ref, better team did not win this game. IMO, a gust of wind knocks Ronaldo down.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, you can think anyway you want. Nobody says you have to think correctly kowtow to the "fan correctness" police. Or be a subscribe to a parochial and narrow-minded definition of a "true fan."

FTFY.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FTFY.
it-is-what-it-is-it-and-move-on-ig-13471451.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A nice goal by Christian Eriksen at 7' puts Denmark up of the 'roos' 1-0.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As far as international sports go, I find the thoroughbred racing from Royal Ascot far more entertaining, old chap.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is a lot of booze and uncontroled emotions associated with "football" fandom. Spat of articles about one offshoot of the World Cup: domestic violence. Domestic abuse increases when the England play World Cup matches, research finds

And then there is this: England fans filmed performing Nazi salutes and singing anti-Semitic songs
I remember before the Cup was played in this country in 2002 there was a host of English fans saying they were going to march down 125th in Harlem and chant racial epithets. My response was, these idiots do know that there is an illegal gun epidemic in this country, right? Too bad they never tried. A few of those guys bleeding out in the dirt would have been a welcome sight.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm impressed by the individual skill level of the French forwards and midfielders so far. Very high level. They can't however continue to let Peru come to them.

JordyG

Reaction Score
France plays a very speedy, artful game. The aesthetics of their game is pleasing to the eye.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I remember before the Cup was played in this country in 2002 there was a host of English fans saying they were going to march down 125th in Harlem and chant racial epithets. My response was, these idiots do know that there is an illegal gun epidemic in this country, right? Too bad they never tried. A few of those guys bleeding out in the dirt would have been a welcome sight.
Kind of tough to do when the WC was held in S. Korea/Japan. :confused:

A few of those guys bleeding out in the dirt would have been a welcome sight.
You're not really any better than them are you?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kind of tough to do when the WC was held in S. Korea/Japan. :confused:

You're not really any better than them are you?
I meant 1994. Yeah, not a big African-American community in Seoul.

And nope, who wants to be better when you can get even? Some say revenge is a meal best served cold. I say its a great meal as long as that guy got served. I lived in a neighborhood that grew accustomed to sirens, gunshots, dope gangs, and the occasional helicopter. For us it would have been a welcome pleasure to have a shooting gallery of the de-serve- ing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I meant 1994. Yeah, not a big African-American community in Seoul.
Probably fat fingers or autocorrect, huh? :rolleyes:

And that would have been a African-Korean community. ;)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Probably fat fingers or autocorrect, huh? :rolleyes:

And that would have been a African-Korean community. ;)
Yeah correct, but neither. Since Korea is such a unilateral (monolithic?) society even the idea of African-Korean would be antithetical to their culture. I prefect to think an expatriate society would have a better chance of survival.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Switzerland-Serbia, best game of the tournament. Very exciting, two speedy teams, plenty of chances, Switzerland's best player was the best on the pitch, and he came through in the 90th minute.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Switzerland-Serbia, best game of the tournament. Very exciting, two speedy teams, plenty of chances, Switzerland's best player was the best on the pitch, and he came through in the 90th minute.

Agree but I feel a bit sorry for Serbia. They took a 1-0 lead 5' in on a strong header and had multiple close chances but could not capitalize. They may have tried to go into a more defensive shell but they were brave throughout and it hurt them in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Watching the Korea vs Mexico game. I don't want to say these two announcers are "rooting" for Mexico but I will. First game I had to mute the video.

Plebe

Reaction Score
¡Mé-xi-co!
¡Mé-xi-co!

JordyG

Reaction Score
As expected Mexico. Now, the heat is on the defending champs to show some creativity and fire today. Neither of which did they show against Mexico.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom