OT- Angel Hernandez | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT- Angel Hernandez

Reaction Score
Is Boone actually in jeopardy? 100 wins as a rookie manager and a four game loss in an ALDS as an underdog? Tough room
Don't see him getting fired because they just fired Girardi but he was brutally bad this series.

Reaction Score
The older umpires experience skill decline like anyone. Most of them just shouldn't be umpiring. Some of them just weren't ever good mlb umps to begin with. Hernandez by every standard has been objectively bad his entire career AND he's a flaming pile of poo as a person. He's not even that popular among the union guys, but the train of thought (again, union mentality) is you do that with him, flood gates, locusts, famine and the world ends.

There's a better way and Hernandez literally can't see past his nose anymore (he couldn't ever, really) and shouldn't be an MLB ump. There should never be a situation where you're correcting 5+ calls in one game due to one guy messing everything up constantly. Bad calls happen, that's why there's replay - and even that's not going to solve all the problems. But last night was past inexcusable by any standard, let alone a playoff series between your league's two marquee franchises.

I think any player or manager is looking for some sort of consistency. Some guys give the outside corner, some the low strike, and they do it for both sides. That's something that most pitchers and hitters can live with if its a consistent call. Hernandez is anything but consistent, and Culbreth at first base was awful with his swing appeals.

When ever talk turns to bad umps, I think of Joe West. He has a history of inserting himself as part of the game. A good ump should be almost invisible. Guys like West, Hernandez and CB Bucknor are never that.

BTW, Sabbathia ripped Hernandez after the game.

Yanks' Sabathia rips 'terrible' ump Hernandez

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sox just plain better in every phase of the game. Yanks lucky to win one.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Angel Hernandez is hot trash and should be fired immediately. But the Sox won because they are the better team. Houston and Boston have been on a collision course since the Sox finally wised up and inked JD Martinez. Hernandez has no interest in calling a good game. He has interest in making a name for himself and tries to take over games with terrible calls and quick hooks to players who dare to question him. The only credit he gets is that he's consistently awful for both teams playing. Have no idea how he's still a MLB umpire.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Angel Hernandez is hot trash and should be fired immediately. But the Sox won because they are the better team. Houston and Boston have been on a collision course since the Sox finally wised up and inked JD Martinez. Hernandez has no interest in calling a good game. He has interest in making a name for himself and tries to take over games with terrible calls and quick hooks to players who dare to question him. The only credit he gets is that he's consistently awful for both teams playing. Have no idea how he's still a MLB umpire.

I’d rarher say they waited JD out rather than wiser up.

He’s a DH and the only other completion was an Arizona team that needs to figure out how to resign A.J. pollock, Corbin and/or goldy.

They were facing serious financial constraints.

Reaction Score
Kimbrel pissed me off last night, but we won. He obviously needs to be better. CC is such a baby, we all know Angel Hernandez is awful, but he actually called a pretty good game last night. I loved Porcello's response to CC. The big difference in this team is our manager, Alex Cora, who the players love, and I can see why, he is a great communicator and he holds them accountable. I love his post game press conference because he does not give you the corporate answer, he speaks the truth on how he feels. Obviously having JD Martinez was a big difference this season, as well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hernandez has no interest in calling a good game. He has interest in making a name for himself and tries to take over games with terrible calls and quick hooks to players who dare to question him. The only credit he gets is that he's consistently awful for both teams playing. Have no idea how he's still a MLB umpire.

haha

Reaction Score
Don't see him getting fired because they just fired Girardi but he was brutally bad this series.

I'm convinced Boone or one of the other coaches told them the wrong time for Game 3 and said it was an 8:05 start. Severino goes to the bullpen 8 minutes before first pitch and Gardner was out in the outfield the first inning with no spikes. And that drives me absolutely insane because it wouldn't surprise me...

Wouldn't be surprised to see hitting coach go because this swing for the fence 1-9 mentality has got to go. What'd Porcello throw through two innings, 20 pitches because everybody is up there hacking? Against a team you know has a weaker bullpen that you can wear down for the series?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I’d rarher say they waited JD out rather than wiser up.

He’s a Dan Hurley and the only other completion was an Arizona team that needs to figure out how to resign A.J. pollock, Corbin and/or goldy.

They were facing serious financial constraints.
A.J. Pollock, from Marlborough, CT, 2006 graduate of RHAM High School in case anybody didn't know/cares lol

Reaction Score
A bunch going on here:

Angel had nothing to do with the outcome, CC should shut up. Porcello should serioulsy shut up and mind his own business. Let's see if that puss arm is still throwing when he nears 40, CC's career kills his it's not close, stay out of it a-wipe.

Sox can hit that's the difference period. They have 7-8 guys who can hit .270 and plus rather than 1or 2 .270 guys and a bunch of crappy hitters who can homer on occasion. They can move people around without hitting the long ball and were built to win in the playoffs, nice job by the GM. And he got some career years which always helps any winners. They've had a tremendous year but they need to win it all to truly be winners.

A 109 win season can't end with a loss or it means very little, sorry it's reality. I know many of you think you just won the World Series but that's a crappy Yanks team. Win 8 more and you will go down in history.

Congrats but too many celebrations and dances for me to like too many guys on that team. Hate the Astro's but they can't beat you down hard enough. They will have a tough time though as the Indians certainly aren't the Red Sox.

Reaction Score
Wow what a game. Almost had a heart attack in that 9th inning. Actually crossed my mind to bring Sale out for the ninth even though they weren’t going to do it. Sox baby! Took 2 in the Bronx. Wow

Reaction Score
A 109 win season can't end with a loss or it means very little, sorry it's reality. I know many of you think you just won the World Series but that's a crappy Yanks team. Win 8 more and you will go down in history.
The Yankees won 100 games this season. They got to the 7th game of the ALCS last year, against the team that won the World Series, and I'd argue that they're better this year than last year. Don't diminish what the Sox just did by saying the Yankees aren't that good. That's B.S.

The rest of what you wrote I can't argue with.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
As a yankee fan, I must admit the Red Sox were clearly the better team. Yankees lack of consistent/quality starting pitching came back to hurt them. Happ, Severino, and Sabathia did not pitch particularly well and although, Sale, Eovaldi, and Porcello weren't great, they were much better than the yankees. Boone made some questionable moves, but in the end, it was the yankes lack of starting pitching that brought about their demise. Boone will be back and better next season. Yankees offseason priorites need to be Pat Corbin and another starter; they can get machado and harper all they want, but you win world series' with pitching.

the Q

Reaction Score
This is the second time I forgot about the Dan Hurley autocorrect.

It is going to happen again.

the Q

Reaction Score
As a yankee fan, I must admit the Red Sox were clearly the better team. Yankees lack of consistent/quality starting pitching came back to hurt them. Happ, Severino, and Sabathia did not pitch particularly well and although, Sale, Eovaldi, and Porcello weren't great, they were much better than the yankees. Boone made some questionable moves, but in the end, it was the yankes lack of starting pitching that brought about their demise. Boone will be back and better next season. Yankees offseason priorites need to be Pat Corbin and another starter; they can get machado and harper all they want, but you win world series' with pitching.

Those 3 guys threw really well.

Corbin is almost a lock if the Yankees want him. Arizona doesn’t have the money to match.

The gray trade hasn’t hurt you prospect wise, but opportunity cost wise.

They’ll probably keep Happ as well.

This fa market is very top heavy though.
Also wouldn’t shock me to see the yanks go after Harvey on a pillow contract

Reaction Score
Wow, CC. If anything you and Britton were getting strike calls (particularly low strikes) that Porcello and Barnes were not.

Reaction Score

Corbin is almost a lock if the Yankees want him. Arizona doesn’t have the money to match.

They need to get MadBum.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score

Agreed. I also have a feeling they could give Sheffield a chance to earn a spot in the rotation. Not sure if they'll retain Happ; itll depend how big of a contract he wants and it appears it is the end of CC but who knows what'll happen in the offseason. I forgot about Sonny Gray lol they're still stuck with him for another year; hopefully they can trade him; hed probably do okay in the National League.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom