OT- Angel Hernandez | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Angel Hernandez

Reaction Score
If we are going a bit off topic from Hernandez' horrible night to the game in general.....

As a Sox fan I fully support the Yankees if they stick a pitch in Holt's ribs tonight. Whatever that shimmy shake thing he was doing after his hits was annoying and seemed like showboating.

I'm a bit conflicted on the unwritten rule of going for a homer on your last at bat for the cycle when your team is up by double digits. Part of me says you go for history, part says you hit the 3-hopper to SS and take a seat. The unknown variable for me is Yanks were using a position player to pitch to him. Overall, I guess if the Yanks have conceded by using position players you go for history.

Darling noted two other gamesmanship events. I forget who it was but Sox were up by a bunch and one of the players on the Sox took a swing on a 3-0 count. Darling said that was uncool. Later in the game, Sox had a runner on 3rd and Yanks P threw a wild pitch the runner probably could have scored. Runner held at 3rd and Darling noted that is the right thing to do.
A few things in response to your post.

Some of the Sox have been doing that shimmy thing for most of the season. I agree it's stupid but many teams do stuff like this as a bonding exercise. The Astros also have their own annoying thing they do when they get a hit. Should he not have done that in the 8th after his double because the game was a blowout? Eh, who cares?

MLB players rarely give away an at bat and I don't blame them. They go up to the plate looking to get a hit in every at bat, no matter the score. If the other team doesn't like that then they should get the guy out. I can't blame Holt for hitting a HR there. That's what he's supposed to do. Is he not supposed to try because it's a blowout? I wouldn't even tell a little leaguer to do that.

On taking home on the wild pitch in the 8th. Kinsler didn't go home after the first wild pitch and Darling said something about it being a veteran move. The ball didn't go that far away from the catcher so I was wondering if he meant it was a good move not to go home because Kinsler read it well or he didn't go home because the game was a blowout. Then Vazquez hit a multiple hopper ground ball to the 2nd baseman and Kinsler still didn't go home even though he easily could have and in almost all cases he would have. Then Tarpley threw another wild pitch (or was it a passed ball?) that went way up the third base line in foul territory and this time Kinsler did go home. Would have looked like Little League if he didn't. So was it a veteran move when he didn't go the first time and a dumb play when he went after the 2nd wild pitch?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If we are going a bit off topic from Hernandez' horrible night to the game in general.....

As a Sox fan I fully support the Yankees if they stick a pitch in Holt's ribs tonight. Whatever that shimmy shake thing he was doing after his hits was annoying and seemed like showboating.

I'm a bit conflicted on the unwritten rule of going for a homer on your last at bat for the cycle when your team is up by double digits. Part of me says you go for history, part says you hit the 3-hopper to SS and take a seat. The unknown variable for me is Yanks were using a position player to pitch to him. Overall, I guess if the Yanks have conceded by using position players you go for history.

Darling noted two other gamesmanship events. I forget who it was but Sox were up by a bunch and one of the players on the Sox took a swing on a 3-0 count. Darling said that was uncool. Later in the game, Sox had a runner on 3rd and Yanks P threw a wild pitch the runner probably could have scored. Runner held at 3rd and Darling noted that is the right thing to do.

This is old man yelling at clouds. Let the guys celebrate and have fun. The whole stoic thing is stupid, and a relic from a different time not in keeping with the modern world.

It's like the NFL cracking down on celebrations. Silly. Let's Make Baseball Fun Again.

Nothing like pimping a homer. I love it. I also love it when a pitcher tries to drill the guy next time up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The good news is Angel is the least of the Yankee problems. They now need to figure out if Severino is the guy for next year and just a tired arm or do they need to look beyond to put together a staff again. He's been awful minus a game or 2 for 15 starts at least.

The Sox really had to limit Sale this year to preserve his arm for late in the season. There was two pretty much 'fake' DL stints in the second half. Yanks might try something similar with Severino. Just supposition, as I've no idea either way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not as rough as David Price

In fairness, Price was pulled early. He had only given up 3 runs himself, though obviously left men on base (the two walks killed him). Cora pulled him early, to limit potential damage, which may or may not have been the right move. He's the manager, and a good one, so I trust that he made the right move, results be damned.

Boone stuck with Severino too long.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He’s 24 and has the velocity but not the precise control yet. He also need to have a better out pitch. pedro will work with him in the offseason, but the Yanks knew they did not have lights out starting pitching this year. Good pitching beats sluggers in the playoffs usually. Not only do you need more aces but they have to be hot at the right time.

Sox need to hire Martinez and get him away from Yankee pitchers.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is old man yelling at clouds. Let the guys celebrate and have fun. The whole stoic thing is stupid, and a relic from a different time not in keeping with the modern world.

It's like the NFL cracking down on celebrations. Silly. Let's Make Baseball Fun Again.

Nothing like pimping a homer. I love it. I also love it when a pitcher tries to drill the guy next time up.

There’s being pumped up or just loud, and there’s being a jackass.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There’s being pumped up or just loud, and there’s being a jackass.

I like the shimmy's. I like a little bat throwing. Watching your shot. Getting the pitcher a little pissed off. It's fun.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Sevy either couldn't find the strike zone or the ball was getting crushed.
I thought his WC game appearance bordered disaster. Yes, he had Ks but he missed the strike zone a lot as he lived low and away. He was Sonny Gray without the bouncers. He didn't make it to the 5th inning twice and he's our freaking ace!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
MLB players rarely give away an at bat and I don't blame them. They go up to the plate looking to get a hit in every at bat, no matter the score. If the other team doesn't like that then they should get the guy out. I can't blame Holt for hitting a HR there. That's what he's supposed to do. Is he not supposed to try because it's a blowout? I wouldn't even tell a little leaguer to do that.

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. This isn't little league. There's no mercy rule.

Every at bat affects a guy's contract, his livelihood. The better his numbers, the more he gets paid.

If the opposing team doesn't like it, they are more than welcome to get the guy out. They are all professionals and paid to do just that.

the Q

Reaction Score
This would be awesome, even if it's a little rubber/gel number (no dildo joke).

Especially if they whipped it right out at the ump.

It would have to be rubber like the ones used in pro wrestling just because of that last line.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Holt loses at shot at history because the entire Yankee pitching staff imploded? I don’t think so. It’s also weird to say “going for a homer.” Should he have hit right handed? Used a wiffle ball bat? Not trying your best is showing the other team up IMO

The shimmy thing is something that the whole team has been doing off and on this season. I’m guessing it’s an allusion to using your hips when you swing. I agree it’s pretty stupid but almost every team has some sort of thing they do. I hope you don’t watch the Astros.

the Q

Reaction Score
Holt loses at shot at history because the entire Yankee pitching staff imploded? I don’t think so. It’s also weird to say “going for a homer.” Should he have hit right handed? Used a wiffle ball bat? Not trying your best is showing the other team up IMO

The shimmy thing is something that the whole team has been doing off and on this season. I’m guessing it’s an allusion to using your hips when you swing. I agree it’s pretty stupid but almost every team has some sort of thing they do. I hope you don’t watch the Astros.

They’re all stupid. The only non stupid one was win, Dance repeat (especially the Carlton)...and they got rid of it

the Q

Reaction Score
Hooray! Good to see I'm a genius. I should have said something about the bullpen before before the trade deadline. My bad ya'll.

Familia
Pressley

Those are the 2 that probably bother me most.

Reaction Score
What should holt have done ? try to get out on purpose? This is the playoffs- a little shimmy is no big deal - this isnt 1932 where the players acted like robots. Have a little fun.

Reaction Score
I'm strictly a playoffs only baseball fan these days, so can someone explain to me why starters are no longer allowed to work out of trouble and managers feel comfortable going to their pens so early?

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm strictly a playoffs only baseball fan these days, so can someone explain to me why starters are no longer allowed to work out of trouble and managers feel comfortable going to their pens so early?
Basically every bullpen has 5 guys who can throw 100.
Except the Sox.

All of this.

Plus. You don’t need guys to go long due to so many travel days built in.

It really is a different game than the regular season.

Plus bullpens are much better now than they used to be.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Except the Sox. :D

Yeah basically.

Kimbrel brings the heat but has issues at times.

Joe Kelly can't be trusted .... although good showing in game 2.

Reaction Score

I believe there are a lot of statistics out there that show that BAA goes way up the third time through the batting order. So, unless your Sale, Kershaw, Scherzer and the like, you're usually getting pulled around the time guys are coming up for the third time. I believe this is also one of the reasons behind the growing phenomenon of using an "opener".

Reaction Score
He’s 24 and has the velocity but not the precise control yet. He also need to have a better out pitch. pedro will work with him in the offseason, but the Yanks knew they did not have lights out starting pitching this year. Good pitching beats sluggers in the playoffs usually. Not only do you need more aces but they have to be hot at the right time.
Dominican or not, Pedro is a paid advisor for the Red Sox. There’s no way in hell he should be allowed to keep working with pitchers from rival teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom