OT- Angel Hernandez | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Angel Hernandez

Reaction Score
Mookie, Xander, etc .. they have been doing the shimmy shake after extra base hits for a while now. Its nothing new.
Right, but Aaron Judge blasting New York New York on his way out of Fenway isn’t showboating at all.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I believe this is also one of the reasons behind the growing phenomenon of using an "opener".

Never heard of this. Is this a thing? I obviously get idea of the idea of it, but what's the actually strategy in practice.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Right, but Aaron Judge blasting New York New York on his way out of Fenway isn’t showboating at all.

I don't think he was criticizing it. Just stating the facts. I'm a Sox fan, but kinda dug Judge's move.

Reaction Score
Never heard of this. Is this a thing? I obviously get idea of the idea of it, but what's the actually strategy in practice.

The "opener" gets through the top of the order in the first inning and then the real starter comes in to start the second inning. He won't face any batters for the third time until an inning later in the game and when he does it won't be the top of the order, more like 5th-7th in the lineup. TB used it to pretty good effect this year I think. Some others tried here and there I believe. There seems to be a bit of buzz about it and I'm guessing we'll start seeing more of this in the next few years (if the statistics continue to back it up).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The highest scoring innings are the first and sixth inning.

So using an opener like your 7th inning guy to get 3-6 outs get you to your starter. Which also means when he starts his 3rd time through the order he’s facing more of the bottom of the order than the top.

Reaction Score

Wow does that hurt someone with all the crap they have dancing on 2nd base with a regular double, really?????? Hilarious,

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The "opener" gets through the top of the order in the first inning and then the real starter comes in to start the second inning. He won't face any batters for the third time until an inning later in the game and when he does it won't be the top of the order, more like 5th-7th in the lineup. TB used it to pretty good effect this year I think. Some others tried here and there I believe. There seems to be a bit of buzz about it and I'm guessing we'll start seeing more of this in the next few years (if the statistics continue to back it up).
The highest scoring innings are the first and sixth inning.
So using an opener like your 7th inning guy to get 3-6 outs get you to your starter. Which also means when he starts his 3rd time through the order he’s facing more of the bottom of the order than the top.

It makes such perfect sense, that I'm shocked no one really thought of it before now. You'd think a guy like Billy Beane would have been all over something like this.

Reaction Score
In fairness, Price was pulled early. He had only given up 3 runs himself, though obviously left men on base (the two walks killed him). Cora pulled him early, to limit potential damage, which may or may not have been the right move. He's the manager, and a good one, so I trust that he made the right move, results be damned.

Boone stuck with Severino too long.

The fact he came out for the 4th and lasted for 2 batters, a visit to the mound and then a walk is alarming to me for our rookie manager. Awful stuff right there or shall i say analytics?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hernandez sued MLB because he said he wasn't getting enough post season assignments. But he was rated one of the worst umpires by MLB players and that probably had more to do with it. He's consistently been a bad ump. Hopefully if he's bad behind the plate tomorrow he's bad for both teams.
He does not belong behind the plate after that performance. He needs to go back to heaven:

the Q

Reaction Score
It makes such perfect sense, that I'm shocked no one really thought of it before now. You'd think a guy like Billy Beane would have been all over something like this.

1) it’s not really scalable.

2) you don’t wanna use it with your best starters cause you throw them out of rhythm. You use this more out of need than normal practice.

3) Baseball is a very conservative group (functionally, not politically), it is very resistant to major changes. Although other sports aren’t real any different in this regard.

Reaction Score
The good news is Angel is the least of the Yankee problems. They now need to figure out if Severino is the guy for next year and just a tired arm or do they need to look beyond to put together a staff again. He's been awful minus a game or 2 for 15 starts at least.
Maybe Boone has do a better job of managing Severino's innings similar to the way Cora handled Sale. His velocity was fine last night but he was missing in the middle of the plate. Even the outs were loud.
If the Yankees lose tonight do you think Boone is back next year? The NY media is killing him.

the Q

Reaction Score
Wow does that hurt someone with all the crap they have dancing on 2nd base with a regular double, really?????? Hilarious,

Don’t think that’s what he was saying.

More like you can complain about a shake when you have judge doing that.

Both are fine, it just means if the team complaining needs to call leg warehouse first...

Reaction Score
This guy has had 5 opportunities to make a call at first base tonight and he's gotten every single call wrong, this should be the last playoff game for Mr. Hernandez.
He was the only person involved in the game who had a worse night then Aaron Boone.

the Q

Reaction Score
He was the only person involved in the game who had a worse night then Aaron Boone.

Severino?

Reaction Score
Severino was doing his best which wasn't very good but Boone needed to get him out sooner and put in a better reliever. 3-0 is still a close game.

Reaction Score
Severino was doing his best which wasn't very good but Boone needed to get him out sooner and put in a better reliever. 3-0 is still a close game.
Sevy was a disaster. Everyone hit him hard, 7 hits and 9 outs. 3-0 and left the bases loaded with no outs. Angel, Sevy, and Boone all stunk. Sevy is probably the only one who didn't know what time the game was.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1) it’s not really scalable.

2) you don’t wanna use it with your best starters cause you throw them out of rhythm. You use this more out of need than normal practice.

3) Baseball is a very conservative group (functionally, not politically), it is very resistant to major changes. Although other sports aren’t real any different in this regard.

Agents and player's association union won't have it because it would also have the effect of suppressing player's salaries. Not just the 1-3 starters but the fourth and fifth starter on a team make more than middle relievers.

The strategy works well in the playoffs as others have noted because it's a short win or go home scenario vice the drudge of a 162 game schedule.

Reaction Score
I worked in baseball for five years.

There's been a huge push for a ratings system or some sort of umpiring accountability for officiating. Or at least some sort of evaluation that goes on. I'm not a robot umpires guy, but i'm pretty progressive in terms of being a huge analytics guy, etc. But i'm fine with human umps. Just not the bad ones.

And there are so many ways where we can tell if they're bad or not. And there are some that are really, really, really exceptional. But like any union, the umpires union isn't into that. Seniority > performance always.

The older umpires experience skill decline like anyone. Most of them just shouldn't be umpiring. Some of them just weren't ever good mlb umps to begin with. Hernandez by every standard has been objectively bad his entire career AND he's a flaming pile of poo as a person. He's not even that popular among the union guys, but the train of thought (again, union mentality) is you do that with him, flood gates, locusts, famine and the world ends.

What's worse is AAA has some guys who are freaking incredible umps, young and motivated. And they get stuck in AAA for years to the point where they quit because those MLB spots don't open up. Those are the guys I feel bad for.

There's a better way and Hernandez literally can't see past his nose anymore (he couldn't ever, really) and shouldn't be an MLB ump. There should never be a situation where you're correcting 5+ calls in one game due to one guy messing everything up constantly. Bad calls happen, that's why there's replay - and even that's not going to solve all the problems. But last night was past inexcusable by any standard, let alone a playoff series between your league's two marquee franchises.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agents and player's association union won't have it because it would also have the effect of suppressing player's salaries. Not just the 1-3 starters but the fourth and fifth starter on a team make more than middle relievers.

The strategy works well in the playoffs as others have noted because it's a short win or go home scenario vice the drudge of a 162 game schedule.

If they were that smart we’d already have the dh in both leagues.

the Q

Reaction Score
I worked in baseball for five years.

There's been a huge push for a ratings system or some sort of umpiring accountability for officiating. Or at least some sort of evaluation that goes on. I'm not a robot umpires guy, but i'm pretty progressive in terms of being a huge analytics guy, etc. But i'm fine with human umps. Just not the bad ones.

And there are so many ways where we can tell if they're bad or not. And there are some that are really, really, really exceptional. But like any union, the umpires union isn't into that. Seniority > performance always.

The older umpires experience skill decline like anyone. Most of them just shouldn't be umpiring. Some of them just weren't ever good mlb umps to begin with. Hernandez by every standard has been objectively bad his entire career AND he's a flaming pile of poo as a person. He's not even that popular among the union guys, but the train of thought (again, union mentality) is you do that with him, flood gates, locusts, famine and the world ends.

What's worse is AAA has some guys who are freaking incredible umps, young and motivated. And they get stuck in AAA for years to the point where they quit because those MLB spots don't open up. Those are the guys I feel bad for.

There's a better way and Hernandez literally can't see past his nose anymore (he couldn't ever, really) and shouldn't be an MLB ump. There should never be a situation where you're correcting 5+ calls in one game due to one guy messing everything up constantly. Bad calls happen, that's why there's replay - and even that's not going to solve all the problems. But last night was past inexcusable by any standard, let alone a playoff series between your league's two marquee franchises.

Those old guys are the ones who should be in New York. But even then I wonder what those guys are watching far too often than I should.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
15 minutes until first pitch.

Has Sabatthia made it out to bullpen yet to warm up?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom