OT- Angel Hernandez | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT- Angel Hernandez

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Cubs and Yankees are the two teams I watch and as you point out they both stink at manufacturing runs. I'm not a fan of either manager's in game skills. Love Maddon as a person but he always leaves me scratching my head and his managing to lose the division and playoff game at home in back to back games left a lot to be desired. I always maintain they won it all in spite of his World Series decisions.

They won because rajai Davis and chisnehall Gave that game away with defense that made the bad news bears look like ken Griffey jr

Reaction Score
Yeah maybe, it is all entertainment though and the telecasts can't or don't play up the Sox 'curse' or history anywhere near the way they used to. If this series was televised the way 2003-4 were we'd have gotten a shot of Aaron Boone's homer every time he was on camera. I don't know that the Sox haven't had Dave Roberts or Kevin Millar come back 2-5 too many times. And the 'tourist' factor of Fenway still makes it impossible for them to drop Sweet Caroline even though Neil Diamond once killed a drifter to get an superjohn.

We are all old. It is sad that I'm the first to point this out, but the Sox shimmies, pointing and dancing are all Fortnite moves.
Freaking Astros started this. Wish the Sox didn't copy it.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Fortnite-is-the-reason-behind-the-weird-12821598.php

Reaction Score
Cubs and Yankees are the two teams I watch and as you point out they both stink at manufacturing runs. I'm not a fan of either manager's in game skills. Love Maddon as a person but he always leaves me scratching my head and his managing to lose the division and playoff game at home in back to back games left a lot to be desired. I always maintain they won it all in spite of his World Series decisions.

"Indeed" on both counts.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A bunch going on here:

Angel had nothing to do with the outcome, CC should shut up. Porcello should serioulsy shut up and mind his own business. Let's see if that puss arm is still throwing when he nears 40, CC's career kills his it's not close, stay out of it a-wipe.

Sox can hit that's the difference period. They have 7-8 guys who can hit .270 and plus rather than 1or 2 .270 guys and a bunch of crappy hitters who can homer on occasion. They can move people around without hitting the long ball and were built to win in the playoffs, nice job by the GM. And he got some career years which always helps any winners. They've had a tremendous year but they need to win it all to truly be winners.

A 109 win season can't end with a loss or it means very little, sorry it's reality. I know many of you think you just won the World Series but that's a crappy Yanks team. Win 8 more and you will go down in history.

Congrats but too many celebrations and dances for me to like too many guys on that team. Hate the Astro's but they can't beat you down hard enough. They will have a tough time though as the Indians certainly aren't the Red Sox.

The reporter was hoping for Porcello to say something juicy in the heat of the moment after probably guzzling champagne and he got his wish. He was definitely bated into it but needs to be smarter.

As far as celebrations go, I will say the Yankees may be the most “professional” team in that respect but what the Sox do is really par for the course these days. I’d say that the close mindedness towards having fun and being laid back hurt the Yankees this year.

Reaction Score
The only reason Porcello piped up is because CC implicitly blamed the ump for the loss. Nobody likes to have a win diminished for reasons that aren't entirely accurate. See Hoop's post.

I don't think anybody feels like we won the World Series. Yanks/Sox is always a big deal in the playoffs though, and it hasn't happened in yonks.

Celebrations and dances are here to stay in baseball, mau. Might as well embrace it. Make baseball fun again.

The Astros should pummel the Sox. And everybody else really.

Porcello should have taken the high road he didn’t have to say anything more than he thought Angel was good. But it figures.

The dance is fine until you’re up 11-1 and still running and dancing sorry there is a point it’s kicking while down.

Nice try on the reverse psychology ain’t working here you’ve won 112 games you’re the favorite and anything short of at least getting to the WS isn’t good.

Should be a fun series for baseball fans actually.

Reaction Score
Porcello should have taken the high road he didn’t have to say anything more than he thought Angel was good. But it figures.

The dance is fine until you’re up 11-1 and still running and dancing sorry there is a point it’s kicking while down.

Nice try on the reverse psychology ain’t working here you’ve won 112 games you’re the favorite and anything short of at least getting to the WS isn’t good.

There wouldn’t be any shame in losing to the Astros and wouldn’t have been any if Sox lost to Yanks. All three are good enough to win it all. It’s just bragging rights now and foolish pride. I see it in your posts, and most everyone’s including mine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Reverse psychology? Not at all. The Sox were the most successful team in the regular season and earned their homefield advantage as a result. But that doesn't mean they are the best team top to bottom, or built the best for the playoffs. Not for nothing, but the Astros are the defending WS champions?

And has the team with the best record in baseball ever won the world series? I don't know but I can't remember any in my lifetime off hand.

The Astros are a flat out better team up and down the roster, and I'm sticking with my call from the start of the playoffs: The Houston Astros are going to win the world series.

I had to put my money or my life on the line, I'd pick Houston. I'm guessing so would many baseball fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And has the team with the best record in baseball ever won the world series? I don't know but I can't remember any in my lifetime off hand.
I'm guessing you're not a big baseball fan. It's been done many times. Very recently too.

Depends how old you are. Oh let's see, off the top of my head:
2016 Cubs (I know you're older than 2!)
2013 Red Sox (tied with Cardinals with 97 wins)
2009 Yankees
2007 Red Sox (tied with Indians with 96 wins)
1998 Yankees
1989 A's
1986 Mets
1984 Tigers
1978 Yankees
1976 Reds
1975 Reds
1970 Orioles

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you're not a big baseball fan. It's been done many times. Very recently too.

Depends how old you are. Oh let's see, off the top of my head:
2016 Cubs (I know you're older than 2!)
2013 Red Sox (tied with Cardinals with 97 wins)
2009 Yankees
2007 Red Sox (tied with Indians with 96 wins)
1998 Yankees
1989 A's
1986 Mets
1984 Tigers
1978 Yankees
1976 Reds
1975 Reds
1970 Orioles

Lol. that's one I probably should have researched first. Can't even get my foot out of my mouth it's wedged in there so good.

Readily admit I don't have the memory/attention for those sorts of things.

Reaction Score
So I know Cashman felt Girardi wasn’t great with the younger kids but I said it then and I say it now, he did the rest of a league a favor when he fired Girardi. Maybe he only won one WS but I always felt Girardi got the absolute most out of his teams, even when ARod, Teixeira, Jacoby etc we’re taking up half the payroll and washed up. He had them up 3-2 bs Houston last year, with a very young team. He should have been given the opportunity to get to the World Series this year but as a Sox fan I am glad we’ll never know.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The good news is Angel is the least of the Yankee problems. They now need to figure out if Severino is the guy for next year and just a tired arm or do they need to look beyond to put together a staff again. He's been awful minus a game or 2 for 15 starts at least.
You hit the nail directly on the head first try Mau. I was happy that I got plenty of Yankee games being in and out of market. This downhill spiral started 2 weeks prior to the break. I knew something was up when all the cellar teams where beating them or losing a nail biter. I didn't feel the bull pen was strong after the break. Boone yanking pitchers too early. Then the reliever gets hammered. Yankee starters were not lasting. Other teams studying Yankee hurlers? Maybe. I believe they barely played over .500 the second half. Bombers are lucky they had a good first half. Tampa Bay might have played the Sox.

This is a bad season for New York. I was excited for the sports season. Yanks. Giants. Phooey. Knicks anyone? Hopefully our pups could bring it home this year.

the Q

Reaction Score
Reverse psychology? Not at all. The Sox were the most successful team in the regular season and earned their homefield advantage as a result. But that doesn't mean they are the best team top to bottom, or built the best for the playoffs. Not for nothing, but the Astros are the defending WS champions?

The Astros are a flat out better team up and down the roster, and I'm sticking with my call from the start of the playoffs: The Houston Astros are going to win the world series.

I had to put my money or my life on the line, I'd pick Houston. I'm guessing so would many baseball fans.

Red Sox were third in 3rd order winning % behind the Astros and dodgers. That’s a reasonable estimate of where they are talent wise

Reaction Score
There wouldn’t be any shame in losing to the Astros and wouldn’t have been any if Sox lost to Yanks. All three are good enough to win it all. It’s just bragging rights now and foolish pride. I see it in your posts, and most everyone’s including mine.

No shame at all I agree the Astro's are hot it would seem. Yanks no, they had no shot of winning the WS as a Yanks fan it would've made my year to eek out a series win over the Sox but then the Astro's would've manhandled their hitters. You guys have a shot or better than that you're still playing very good baseball, you have pitching and defense too this will be a fun series to watch as I said for a baseball fan.

To me this is the world series I don't think the Dodgers or Brewers can beat either of these 2 teams.

Reaction Score

Football players celebrate after every tackle or incomplete pass. Basketball players pose after any made shot. Can't say I love it but its simply the current culture and other than if its cathartic for oneself why be the old man yelling at the clouds?
If they could shorten the games to 2.5hrs or less I'd be fine with a dance after every strike.

the Q

Reaction Score
Football players celebrate after every tackle or incomplete pass. Basketball players pose after any made shot. Can't say I love it but its simply the current culture and other than if its cathartic for oneself why be the old man yelling at the clouds?
If they could shorten the games to 2.5hrs or less I'd be fine with a dance after every strike.

Don’t discount the cathartic relief of yelling at clouds.

Highly underrated

Although I prefer the “get off my lawn” stuff

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No shame at all I agree the Astro's are hot it would seem. Yanks no, they had no shot of winning the WS as a Yanks fan it would've made my year to eek out a series win over the Sox but then the Astro's would've manhandled their hitters. You guys have a shot or better than that you're still playing very good baseball, you have pitching and defense too this will be a fun series to watch as I said for a baseball fan.

To me this is the world series I don't think the Dodgers or Brewers can beat either of these 2 teams.

I think Brewers have what they need to beat BOS, but probably not HOU.

Brews have several things going for them: they're the hottest team going in, solid and deep pen, Yelich, and Craig Counsell has been magic the past few weeks, pushing all the right buttons. If they face BOS, they may not be able to handle Sale, but I think they can handle Eovaldi and Porcello and demolish Sox pen. Houston would be more problematic with Verlander and Cole (and I'd throw Morton instead of Keuchel).

Dodgers are a solid team, but I'm not feeling it at all. There are a lot of gaping swing holes throughout that lineup and the pitching is suspect, including Kershaw and Jansen.

I'm going HOU over MIL, 4 games to 2.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is a bad season for New York. I was excited for the sports season. Yanks. Giants. Phooey. Knicks anyone? Hopefully our pups could bring it home this year.

Hankster don't bring your losing taint to our Huskies thanks. We're hoping for a good year, not more of the same

Reaction Score
Angel Hernandez is hot trash and should be fired immediately. But the Sox won because they are the better team. Houston and Boston have been on a collision course since the Sox finally wised up and inked JD Martinez. Hernandez has no interest in calling a good game. He has interest in making a name for himself and tries to take over games with terrible calls and quick hooks to players who dare to question him. The only credit he gets is that he's consistently awful for both teams playing. Have no idea how he's still a MLB umpire.
You could see Vasquez turning his head on ball calls he thought were strikes. The strike 3 call on Benetendi was awful so both teams had problems with Hernandez. Didn't Hernandez have to sue MLB to get playoff games? He was voted the worst umpire in baseball by the players and he showed why in this series. He flat out sucks.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You could see Vasquez turning his head on ball calls he thought were strikes. The strike 3 call on Benetendi was awful so both teams had problems with Hernandez. Didn't Hernandez have to sue MLB to get playoff games? He was voted the worst umpire in baseball by the players and he showed why in this series. He flat out sucks.

I noticed that too. The knee high pitch was called a ball all night long. I think Vazquez reacted to a 2-2 pitch to Hicks that looked like a strike but was called a ball. Then Benintendi was punched out on the exact same pitch. That's Angel. He's only consistent at being inconsistent but consistently awful. He thinks fans pay hundreds of dollars or more to go watch him argue with players. No idea how he's still an ump let alone anywhere near playoff baseball.

Reaction Score

Don’t ruin my old man thing Deac please. I’ll always stick with the ethics no matter the change of culture. The “pointing to the bench” by every player that reached base is about all I got. Lol

Reaction Score
Red Sox were third in 3rd order winning % behind the Astros and dodgers. That’s a reasonable estimate of where they are talent wise
What does this mean? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying. That is something husky99 would write! :)

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom