OT: 15 things we miss in Connecticut | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 15 things we miss in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fudgie the Whale is still around. Carvel advertises him like crazy.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Bradlees, Holy Land, Carvels Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale, Crazy Eddie's commercials.
Crazy Eddie, err, Crazy Ernie. err Frank was the best...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hostess/Wonder Bread factory on New Park Ave, WestHartford/Hartford town line

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Shoor Brothers... and Flagg Brothers, Downtown Hartford

Reaction Score
yeah pretty sure it was their landmark milk bar. they closed in the early 2000s claiming renovation, but never opened again. Near like fienemman rd/ that mariott in farmington.
Drove by the Guidas site a couple weeks ago. It's undergoing a major renovation and looks like it'll be a new ice cream place. The new place looked great.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oscar's in Rocky Hill. ;)
Don't know that one, but I gather from your emoji that it was a different kind of place than the old Oscar's Pizza (nee Rapp's Deli) in Storrs, another relic of a bygone era?

Reaction Score
Don't know that one, but I gather from your emoji that it was a different kind of place than the old Oscar's Pizza (nee Rapp's Deli) in Storrs, another relic of a bygone era?

Much different. In the late 80's early 90's well known for it's divorcee presence within - many from across the street at the huge condo complex. Very solid establishment on Thursday and Friday happy hour to closing.;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you were 25 and wanted an evening with a 45 year old it was the place to be.

It was going home with cougars 15 years before it was popular.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If you were 25 and wanted an evening with a 45 year old it was the place to be. It was going home with cougars 15 years before it was popular.

There were a couple of places in Stamford like that. Memories that are better forgotten lol.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Went to the New Haven Coliseum a few times in my life, some wrestling/monster truck shows. The last time I ever went was the last year it was open, when they brought in an expansion arena football team, the Ninjas. It was a fun day going to the game, but man was that bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Ninjas

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Went to the New Haven Coliseum a few times in my life, some wrestling/monster truck shows. The last time I ever went was the last year it was open, when they brought in an expansion arena football team, the Ninjas. It was a fun day going to the game, but man was that bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Ninjas
My last time was Iron Maiden and Yngwei Malmsteen!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going to guess few remember the Connecticut Coasters of Roller Hockey International at the NHC.

Reaction Score
Went to the Clash show and Men at Work in West Hartford, guess it was named the Agora, off the Flatbush exit on 84. The thing about that venue was all the beer cans on the floor at the end of the show. HoJos had great ice cream and the food was decent. Every week night had a cheap meal special and one was liver and onions. Does anyone eat liver anymore?

Reaction Score
We called the condo complex Cenous Hills(Century Hills). I've made some huge mistakes at Oscars. There was a desperation about the women there that was irresistable

Reaction Score
i second

I second Verdolini's and would add Milner's. Two throwback landmarks.

Don't let him fool you nygblue - he never had a Spooker in his life he's mocking me. If he did have one he'd actually mean it LOL.......anyway Milners and The Brookside, agree. And speaking of Milners there is a mention of Zula's Minin Golf below and that is ironic considering George D'Anianable Jr hung around Milners and dad owned Zula's.

Reaction Score
If you were 25 and wanted an evening with a 45 year old it was the place to be.

It was going home with cougars 15 years before it was popular.

Bingo, couldn't have said any better myself. Hall of Fame and Oscar's were well ahead of their time :D

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Went to a bunch of concerts at the NH Coliseum (including Stevie Wonder-awesome) plus the nighthawks and novelty shows. Problem was venues got bigger and it became too small. But I have happier memories of the NH Arena (OK, I'm old) NH Blades Hockey was fun. I saw the last concert there (Elton John), snuck in the be about the only white kids at a couple James Brown and a bunch in-between.
Went to work at 14 at the Arena selling popcorn & peanuts during hockey games. Got me into all events for free

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let me second Savin Rock. It was huge!

Seperately, Jimmies of Savin Rock (original location only) with Mr Machine handling orders, cooking hotdogs and making change at lightning speed. The huge lot served as a car show as well as a parking lot (all 'Vette's park in this row). Jimmies kept going long after all the rides were closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom