OT: 15 things we miss in Connecticut | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: 15 things we miss in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
no... just a lot of flag football at Colt, and maybe soccer. Dillon is rarely used, womens football and the Weaver/HPHS Turkey Game

My dad and my uncle brought me and my brother to a Hartford Knights game in the 60's I was young as hell and hardly remember anything other than meeting a few guys. My dad played in all the states semi-pro teams and knew some on the staff - we met Marv Hubbard and my brother got his autograph. My only time actually in Dillon. I had to be 6 or 7 as I know he played in 69 for the Raiders when I was 10.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dillon is next door to Sports Academy (where the Summer pro-am is played). Colt Park is well maintained and the whole Coltsville area is being renovated. lot of land/ground to cover

Reaction Score
I'll be visiting Fort Pierce later this year. How are the traffic/driving conditions down there?

I go to Vero Beach (just north of Ft Pierce) a couple times each year. Driving isnt too terrible actually, depending on where you are staying (barrier island or mainland).

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I go to Vero Beach (just north of Ft Pierce) a couple times each year. Driving isnt too terrible actually, depending on where you are staying (barrier island or mainland).

I'll be staying in a hotel just off of Okeechobee Rd to visit some property (on North 45th Street I believe) that my wife and her siblings inherited from their great-grandfather several years ago. It seems it was purchased back in the 20s and nothing was ever done with it. The neighbors are getting a bit tired of having an empty swamp lot by their houses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll be visiting Fort Pierce later this year. How are the traffic/driving conditions down there?
I went last March. Rt.1 is kind of busy, otherwise not too bad. I-95 is fine once you get past West Palm.

Reaction Score
Now that I'm older and can see the New Haven Coliseum for what it was, my God how did they possibly allow anyone to design and then build that? It boggles.

NRBQ in 1984? Saw them open up for the Ramones in a place called Sneakers on Branford Hill, former car dealership. About 50 people were there. All ages show, they had very good Sprite, no alcohol available.

People, I think, tend to forget that punk died sometime around 1980-1981. And then all that was left was the Ramones playing in front of 15 year olds drinking soda in an old car dealership.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now that I'm older and can see the New Haven Coliseum for what it was, my God how did they possibly allow anyone to design and then build that? It boggles.

It was a pretty crazy, interesting and ultimately sad story for New Haven, told pretty well and exhaustively in a very good CPTV documentary:

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...umentary-its-as-much-about-history-as-legends

The story centers around Mayor Richard C. Lee and his ambitious plans for his creaky old industrial Elm City. After Interstate 95 was opened in the late 1950s (and with I-91 under construction), the Oak Street Connector was built to take cars downtown, and also to the Boulevard, Route 34 and (in the future) to Route 8 in the Valley.

"They built the Route 34 Connector and didn't know what to do with it. It all starts with that road," says Hanley.

Actually, Hanley's story begins at the old New Haven Arena, where hockey's Blades played, and the ice palace that preceded it, the Center Freeze Arena. Some details of those buildings will only be in the two-hour DVD version, which will be privately screened Monday night at Quinnipiac University, where Hanley teaches.

With Lee scoring piles of federal urban-renewal money and trying to create a model city from its humble neighborhoods, it was determined that New Haven needed a large-scale venue and gathering place, built in unison with the Knights of Columbus headquarters, on the last empty lot between the connector and the Green.

Federal planning funds were arranged; Lee had a law changed to allow city bonding for such a structure.

Hanley, who attended St. Boniface School near the Arena in the late 1960s, and then in the early '70s covered rock concerts at the Coliseum for the University of New Haven student newspaper, said Lee brought in a "fantasy team" of architects, including Kevin Roche, who would later win architecture's top honor, the Pritzker Prize, for his work.

"Lee wanted to make New Haven the architectural capital of the world," Hanley said.

Roche designed the Coliseum to the scale of the freeway that it bordered -- muscular and modernistic. The city had also brought in the Chapel Square Mall, the Temple Street Parking Garage, Malley's and Macy's as destinations. Only the garage endures today.

Construction started in 1968, and the Coliseum opened in September 1972.

With families migrating to suburbia and television taking over their evenings, the Coliseum was seen as a savior for downtown.

Hanley said he was surprised where his research on this project took him.

"I started out thinking the story would be about what took place there, but as I got deeper and deeper into the papers of Mayor Lee and others, it became clear to me that the story was about the generational chasm between what Lee wanted and what was actually happening."

It was a tumultuous time, and Hanley says that going in, "I didn't know that all these national and cultural upheavals were converged and compressed in New Haven."

City fathers and Yale sought to keep out "dangerous" new rock 'n' roll from their modern city (Lee banned an Alan Freed show at one point, the Beatles were blocked from playing Yale Bowl by a Yale benefactor, and Jim Morrison was arrested at the Arena). Lee envisioned Glen Campbell and Mantovani music; baby boomers increasingly wanted more compelling entertainment, and eventually "rock 'n' roll ended up saving the Coliseum," says Hanley.

Photos, footage and interviews with area concert-goers recall acts from Queen to Billy Joel to Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young.

But as Young once observed in song, "Rust never sleeps." Roche wasn't able to build to his vision, and limited acreage required the garage to be placed on top of the arena, accessible by two helixes (who can forget driving up or down those?). The effects of road salt ate away at the concrete and untreated rebar/steel matting, causing an eventual shutdown and budget crisis.

TROUBLED FROM THE START

When construction bids came in too high, budget cuts took away Roche's plan for drop ceilings, an exhibition hall, restaurant, surrounding glass and panels. Incredibly, the long escalators were left to operate on the outside of the building (another unforgettable element for patrons).

Inside, the concrete and duct work was left exposed; Roche is quoted in the special as saying the Coliseum was never finished. Most of us felt that way about it and and Roche's K of C tower, too.

"At every point, there were warnings that the building was going to have problems," says Hanley, a former newspaper reporter also skilled in Internet research.

The Coliseum closed in 2002.

The special interweaves the words of Register columnist Tom McCormack, who wrote that the Coliseum "presents a face only a steel worker would love."

Which is not to say that there aren't moments of sheer joy and appreciation expressed about the place. Much time is spent on the longtime tenants, the New Haven Nighthawks, and (later, less successful) New Haven Senators, The Beast and the New Haven Knights, and their fans.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I preferred the coliseum to the civic center back in the day.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

NRBQ in 1984? Saw them open up for the Ramones in a place called Sneakers on Branford Hill, former car dealership. About 50 people were there. All ages show, they had very good Sprite, no alcohol available.

People, I think, tend to forget that punk died sometime around 1980-1981. And then all that was left was the Ramones playing in front of 15 year olds drinking soda in an old car dealership.

There were a few good punk bands in the 2nd wave. I tagged along with my oldest brother and saw the classic Social Distortion lineup (Mike Ness, Dennis Danell, Brent Liles and Derek O'Brien) back when they played a few shows in Canada in '82 and also later the next year when we were visiting with family in LA. Other than SD/TSOL/Black Flag there weren't too many worthwhile punk acts post-81.

Reaction Score
Nickel drafts and quarter pitchers at polyesta's in new haven.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm from Fairfield County and live and work in New Haven County now. But my best friend's family growing up had a place in Goshen; and my best friend from college lives in Litchfield. Both have remained best friends and that's what brought me up there then and still brings me up there now.
Grew up in Litchfield and still have many friends there as well as in Goshen.

Reaction Score
Saw Stevie Wonder there decades ago. The man was surrounded by pianos/organs/synthesizers and could switch (180 degrees) without missing a beat. If you ever get a chance to see him live before he's gone, he will not disappoint. Hasn't been one like him since, certainly one of the greatest entertainers/songwriters of all time.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I've never been a big fan of shopping, but G.Fox was a cool place to go in my single digit years...elevators and escalators are commonplace in malls now...not so much then, at least out side of the big cities.

Caldor and the East Brook Mall were definitely shopping fixtures as well...and the Shaboo was legendary (until some people a little behind me in school burned it down).

Reaction Score
There were a few good punk bands in the 2nd wave. I tagged along with my oldest brother and saw the classic Social Distortion lineup (Mike Ness, Dennis Danell, Brent Liles and Derek O'Brien) back when they played a few shows in Canada in '82 and also later the next year when we were visiting with family in LA. Other than SD/TSOL/Black Flag there weren't too many worthwhile punk acts post-81.

True, we moved onto better things. Though in Boston, I still enjoyed bands like Gang Green, who were definitely punk.

Reaction Score
Nickel drafts and quarter pitchers at polyesta's in new haven.
What was the sports bar that was attached to it? Challenges? By the time I got there the pitchers were 50 cents.

Reaction Score
images.jpg
Connecticut Dragway in Colchester. lots of great memories.

Reaction Score
How about the "Boppers" bars in Hartford and New Haven. Great meat markets when they opened, prime stuff ;)

Reaction Score
Was there a Guida's in New Britain? Still in Middlefield.
yeah pretty sure it was their landmark milk bar. they closed in the early 2000s claiming renovation, but never opened again. Near like fienemman rd/ that mariott in farmington.

Reaction Score
Bradlees, Holy Land, Carvels Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale, Crazy Eddie's commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom