On the coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

On the coach

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Sid is pretty much the only returning player who has over performed expectations. Sid is also the only kid who Hurley seems to challenge; challenging him in press conferences, forcing him to earn minutes, etc. CV and AG can seemingly do no wrong regardless of how many mistakes they make.
Not so - Whalley is playing at a much higher level, BA is playing much better, the improvement in Akok, Bouk and Gaff since day 1 is significant. CV is playing better defense and within the flow but his shot isn't falling. Polly's best and most complete game of his career was his last before injury.

The only guys who haven't improved are AG, who is a dribble first point guard and can't seem to break the habit, and Josh, who is the only 6' 10" player I have ever seen who plays below the rim.

Player improvement is obvious over the last 3 games. If we can get 2 real players (a big and a 3 point shooter) the future gets very bright. Wait until Akok and Bouk, and Gaff are juniors before you pass judgement on Hurley

Reaction Score
As bad as I feel his X’s and O’s are I agree. Well planned game in regards to that. Remember Kenny smith as the only one taking our guards and Ollie’s offensive approach in 2014 as they are getting the shots they want. They were just not hitting em in the first half against MSU. But they sure did after that. We just don’t have 4 guys in the floor who can shoot

We need shooters

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not so - Whalley is playing at a much higher level, BA is playing much better, the improvement in Akok, Bouk and Gaff since day 1 is significant. CV is playing better defense and within the flow but his shot isn't falling. Polly's best and most complete game of his career was his last before injury.

The only guys who haven't improved are AG, who is a dribble first point guard and can't seem to break the habit, and Josh, who is the only 6' 10" player I have ever seen who plays below the rim.

Player improvement is obvious over the last 3 games. If we can get 2 real players (a big and a 3 point shooter) the future gets very bright. Wait until Akok and Bouk, and Gaff are juniors before you pass judgement on Hurley
I pretty much agree with this, and from the post-game interview, Hurley pretty much agrees with the title of this thread.

There's still so much to do, but I keep tuning in and watching start to finish. I'd be happier if they knew how to take a lead and hold it, but they don't, and therefore I don't get too upset about them not doing something they haven't done yet.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this, and from the post-game interview, Hurley pretty much agrees with the title of this thread.

There's still so much to do, but I keep tuning in and watching start to finish. I'd be happier if they knew how to take a lead and hold it, but they don't, and therefore I don't get too upset about them not doing something they haven't done yet.
One thing about Hurley is that he doesn't shirk his responsibility. He quickly states that he, and the coaches, have to work harder. Unlike a certain women's coach I recently heard in her post game conference state, "I tell them the right things to do, but they just don't do it." Hurley is quick to say, "I just have to do a better job."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've always said that players decide blowouts and coaches decide close games, in youth sports at least, maybe that does apply here. Or maybe we're only talented enough to keep it close. Maybe he's getting the most he can out of this roster.

If we could make more shots, many of them wide open, we're winning these games

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This thread doesn’t make much sense given that this was hurleys best coached game. You won’t win many games missing wide open shots and only having 6 players who are positives when they are on the court...

Reaction Score
I've always said that players decide blowouts and coaches decide close games, in youth sports at least, maybe that does apply here. Or maybe we're only talented enough to keep it close. Maybe he's getting the most he can out of this roster.

If we could make more shots, many of them wide open, we're winning these games

I feel he his getting the most out of them. Or close to it. Forget their rankings coming out of HS. I don't think our upperclassmen are very good and they make up the majority of our team. It's that simple.

The young pups that HURLEY CHOSE HIMSELF were the ones that brought us back into the game and showed tangible skills that our seniors have never shown in their entire careers here.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Didn’t see the game so just checked box score.

At this point it’s a matter of development. Seeing Sid, Gaffney and Akok getting solid minutes and contributing (again, I’m going based on box score) is most interesting to me. We know what we have in Carlton and a few others but players such as the 3 I mentioned are ones that really could capitalize on second half season development.

I’d rather not admonish players like Carlton for not meeting expectations that really weren’t realistic to begin with but instead encourage the guys that have some serious ceiling to work on their weaknesses and use this remaining season to make some sizeable impact come next season.

Reaction Score
Quick look at the shooting stats on 3's, with Polley, and without Polley:
With Polley: 99/280 or 35.4%
Without Polley
: 20/83 or 24.1%
Not many teams win shooting 24.1% OR even stay in games. The team is playing much better than they did the past three years, playing hard and not quitting, so Hurley is doing something right. Three poor games all year whereas the past three years there'd be three (or more) poor games per month.

Overall UConn shooting stats on the season:
FG: 41.9% 266th in D1
3's; 32.8% 209th in D1 (but alas, it doesn't look as if there's any chance of improving on this in 2020)
Points scored: 1270 or 66th in D1
Rebounds: 38.6 per game or 63rd in D1
Major improvement in rebounding compared to the past several years.
Now if only the FT's were better there'd be a couple more wins.

Reaction Score
I’m not looking at stats.
I’m looking at. I’m up 3 with 3 minutes to go— let’s win this thing. Whether a steal a To into a lay up a good pick— how do we make a play that will seal the deal. To me that’s a big part of coaching— being able to translate will into execution end of game. It’s about the spirit of making winning plays abd it starts wit the coach. No excuses about talent — we’ve up 3 with three minutes left— win. You go 0-6 that’s simply not reasonable.

Reaction Score
Hey, his brother has been underachieving over there at AZ State. Idk maybe just maybe we need to start questioning more then the players. :)

Not fair to judge a coach who inherited a bunch of players who have major flaws in their games. Give him a year or two with all guys that he recruited. If the team is still struggling at that point, it will be telling.

I have a feeling that the correlation between success and having a roster full of Hurley's recruits will be high.

Reaction Score
Hey, his brother has been underachieving over there at AZ State. Idk maybe just maybe we need to start questioning more then the players. :)
Didn't they come back from 22 down and beat Arizona y'day?

Reaction Score
Fair question no doubt. When you have that many losses which fall under the same timeline and players doing the same thing then what can a coach do to stop that from happening? I like Dan but not finding a way to get a W or 2 when the team is in line to do so in so many games is concerning I don't care really don't want to hear about inheritance of players. This roster is good enough to win more games.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley is going to bring us back to prominence, I really do. That said, the fact that our three oldest players have regressed pretty severely this year is very concerning.
Really? I would strongly argue that none of them regressed. They are all playing to their capabilities. I think the problem on here is that too many people had unrealistic expectations. The problem isn't Hurley. The problem isn't the players. The problem is consistent with a total rebuild. It takes time. The fact that we lost 5 games by 20 points is encouraging, not discouraging. It shows that Hurley is installing a new culture and the players are buying in. We are competitive. Two years ago we weren't even that. Why aren't we winning? Maybe because right now we don't have an alpha dog. Its very hard to win games down the stretch without a go to guy. Think about year's past. We had Uncle Cliff, Donyell, Ray. Caron, Rip, Khalid, Emeka, Ben, Rudy, Marcus Williams, Kemba, Bazz, etc, etc, etc. Who do we have now? Sure, Bouknight can easily become that player but he isn't there it. Expecting CV or AG to be that player is unfair. So who can Hurley rely on down the stretch? Who can consistently get us that bucket when we need it most? Thats the problem. Hurley inherited a cupboard that was bare. The good news is that he is replenishing this roster with high major talent. The bad news is we haven't had a roster like that in quite some time. There is not a better coach for this job. The future is as bright as our historic past, no matter how bad it sucks right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So are Carlton, Vital, and Gilbert the worst starters in the entire conference? Because UConn is 0.5 a game out of last place.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Really? I would strongly argue that none of them regressed. They are all playing to their capabilities. I think the problem on here is that too many people had unrealistic expectations. The problem isn't Hurley. The problem isn't the players. The problem is consistent with a total rebuild. It takes time. The fact that we lost 5 games by 20 points is encouraging, not discouraging. It shows that Hurley is installing a new culture and the players are buying in. We are competitive. Two years ago we weren't even that. Why aren't we winning? Maybe because right now we don't have an alpha dog. Its very hard to win games down the stretch without a go to guy. Think about year's past. We had Uncle Cliff, Donyell, Ray. Caron, Rip, Khalid, Emeka, Ben, Rudy, Marcus Williams, Kemba, Bazz, etc, etc, etc. Who do we have now? Sure, Bouknight can easily become that player but he isn't there it. Expecting CV or AG to be that player is unfair. So who can Hurley rely on down the stretch? Who can consistently get us that bucket when we need it most? Thats the problem. Hurley inherited a cupboard that was bare. The good news is that he is replenishing this roster with high major talent. The bad news is we haven't had a roster like that in quite some time. There is not a better coach for this job. The future is as bright as our historic past, no matter how bad it sucks right now.

I threw you a like even though I disagree with your first sentence (Well, second sentence I guess). Carlton has definitely regressed from where he was last year (how many layups has he missed so far?). The other two you could, however, make the case that Jalen Adams moving on has had a much bigger impact than we expected it would've. He was the guy last year, so now that focus shifts onto the other two guards.

Reaction Score
So are Carlton, Vital, and Gilbert the worst starters in the entire conference? Because UConn is 0.5 a game out of last place.

A strong case could be made that we have the worst starting backcourt in the AAC. If you disagree please present your best argument.

Reaction Score
A strong case could be made that we have the worst starting backcourt in the AAC. If you disagree please present your best argument.

Might be easier for you to present your argument first as to why?

Reaction Score
I’m not looking at stats.
I’m looking at. I’m up 3 with 3 minutes to go— let’s win this thing. Whether a steal a To into a lay up a good pick— how do we make a play that will seal the deal. To me that’s a big part of coaching— being able to translate will into execution end of game. It’s about the spirit of making winning plays abd it starts wit the coach. No excuses about talent — we’ve up 3 with three minutes left— win. You go 0-6 that’s simply not reasonable.
Every single one of those things you just asked to happen is not something Hurley can do. This is an insane take

Reaction Score
Bouk had 4 fouls and we had no answer down low. Worth a shot, they were cold from the arc too.

Plus, changing defenses coming out of timeouts had worked really well at Houston, and our man defense was even better then.

The reason why the right buttons don't seem to get pushed at the end of the games is that because all 9 of our players are so maddeningly inconsistent that not even JC himself (doesn't matter if you want to read that as Calhoun or Christ) would have any clue what buttons to push coming down the stretch. With this bunch you pays your nickel and you takes your choice.

When the team has individual players that you can count on, even if you can only count on them to do certain things, then come back to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom