On the coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On the coach

Reaction Score
Wonder where Gilbert's mind is after the game after riding the bench in crunch time? Will he be motivated or sink into a dark place?
I think Al is mature enough to do whatever it takes to help the team. He's a good kid and leader. He's just playing brutal this year. Maybe off the bench is what he needs.

Reaction Score
Worth noting that Sid is pretty much the only returning player who has over performed expectations. Sid is also the only kid who Hurley seems to challenge; challenging him in press conferences, forcing him to earn minutes, etc. CV and AG can seemingly do no wrong regardless of how many mistakes they make.
Although not great today Whaley has also improved after being glued to the pine last year. Maybe Coach need to lay off the refs a little and get in the face of his players more

Reaction Score
Hurley has elevated this team to the level it can hang with the top 25 and compete to the wire. That said, 0-6 in tight games is on him. He has to manage them to success. That damn top of the key shuffle and getting caught with no time on the shot clock is inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Although not great today Whaley has also improved after being glued to the pine last year. Maybe Coach need to lay off the refs a little and get in the face of his players more

He benched AG down the stretch and Vital spent long stretches on the bench today too. And he was critical of both of them in the post game.

I don't know what people want, somebody has to play. There is nobody on this roster not getting a chance.

Reaction Score
The play he drew up where CV got fouled on the 3 was genius. The whole first half he had the offense got great looks against the zone and just couldn’t hit. He can only do so much
As bad as I feel his X’s and O’s are I agree. Well planned game in regards to that. Remember Kenny smith as the only one taking our guards and Ollie’s offensive approach in 2014 as they are getting the shots they want. They were just not hitting em in the first half against MSU. But they sure did after that. We just don’t have 4 guys in the floor who can shoot

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I give coach Hurley tremendous respect for getting us back in many ways
BUT
No way. No way. No way can we lose so many close games with such poor mismanagement I. The last 5 mi utes.
This season has been devastated by the coach not putting the winning touches he should end of game
No way Jim C goes 0-6 in these games
Step up!
Are you in the continue to play Gilbert, vital, and Carlton camp or don’t play them unless necessary?

Reaction Score
Are you in the continue to play Gilbert, vital, and Carlton camp or don’t play them unless necessary?
I am for starting the younger lineup that played so well today and have JC, AG and CV relegated to sub roles... It cannot get any worse...

Riddle me this: How can guy 6'-10" go scoreless in back-to-back games?

Reaction Score
Everybody is getting the pt so starting lineup doesn't matter. If your contributing you will play example today.

Reaction Score
BUT
No way. No way. No way can we lose so many close games with such poor mismanagement I. The last 5 mi utes.
This season has been devastated by the coach not putting the winning touches he should end of game
Step up!
WHY didn't he draw up a play for Temi Aiyegbusi Oh wait they were down by 3 not 2 Nevermind

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When the same guys make the same dumb plays over and over again. And when guys are no better, maybe even regressed from year 1 and year 2 it is a legitimate question to ask whether Hurley has the right stuff. Unless things change pretty dramatically this will be yet another year without a post season. We really need to see significant progress next year.
This is another one of your posts that reads like it's the product of still-not-there-yet AI.

Playing 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores, with Akok at center during 12-0 run might get loaded into your programming during a weekly or night update and register as a dramatic change. Yes, undone again by the same old same old, but that's no basis for you to showcase your shop worn cliches.

Reaction Score
BUT
Step up!

Its not Hurley. We dont have the players with the experience needed to make the plays to win these games. We have more coming next year and the guys we have now will grow. Have patience.

Reaction Score
We had tons of wide open looks from 3 today. Missed a boatload. Guys need to make open shots. In the four games since Polley went down we are shooting less than 25% from beyond the arc. At the same time our "inside game" with JC has disappeared as Josh simply is missing shots and dropping passes/losing the ball. Our first possession today JC had two point blank chances for a dunk - tried to lay both in and missed. He's trying but he needs to play better. Akok and Bouknight were the two best players for us and top two scorers. I liked the way Gaffney played today too for the most part. It's not enough - even without Polley if JC, CV and AG all played the way juniors and seniors are supposed to, we win. They need to keep at it in practice and games because these last handful of games will be the end of their careers. Yet another game where one or two plays are different and this is a win.

Reaction Score
He coached this crew last year but didn’t know we lacked a 3 point shooter? Next year I think has to be make or break. If we are still seeing the same old same old you have to wonder if he is one of the guys who is destined for success in the A10. I hope not but he wouldn’t be the first hot mid major coach to flame out at the next level.

Reaction Score
He coached this crew last year but didn’t know we lacked a 3 point shooter? Next year I think has to be make or break. If we are still seeing the same old same old you have to wonder if he is one of the guys who is destined for success in the A10. I hope not but he wouldn’t be the first hot mid major coach to flame out at the next level.

It won't be. Keep trying though.

Reaction Score
The middle again will be our weakness unless Akok can gain at least 15-20 lbs without losing his explosiveness.

No no no! No! How did that work out for Josh!? No.

Akok can put on 5 lbs, fine. But never ever ever sacrifice one ounce of a players explosiveness for pounds. Yeah let’s have a fat Akok who no longer can block shots, get boards, or run the floor. But he’s big! So there’s that! Whoopdeedo!

I’m all for strength training. The stronger the better. Poundage gained through larger muscles via strength training is good. Poundage gained through overeating is bad.

Reaction Score
Its not Hurley. We dont have the players with the experience needed to make the plays to win these games. We have more coming next year and the guys we have now will grow. Have patience.
“Not Hurley” means we get bear by larger margins. You don’t stay in a game to the end against quality teams 6 times and lose all of them when you do that. On Hurley to manage them to success.

Reaction Score
The play he drew up where CV got fouled on the 3 was genius. The whole first half he had the offense got great looks against the zone and just couldn’t hit. He can only do so much

The players' ability to make shots cost us this game, not Hurley. These guys blew Memphis out by 40...we hung with them and had we connected with shots we would have won by 10 or more. Shooting is our Achilles heel.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Name one guy on this team right now that would play on a vintage Calhoun team? Ag, no. CV - while he has the mentality, he isn't physically gifted to play versus some of the great 2 guards of yesteryear. Sid? Akok over a Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Jeff Adrien?

The talent isn't there yet. AG is trying to find his game which is a detriment to the team. CV is playing a little more under control buy can't buy a bucket now.

Also, who on this team is consistent from game to game? Half to half? It is hard to coach when we you don't know who will give you what.

One other point. We really miss Jaylen Adams much more than we all realized. He was the man at the end of games for the last few years - he got the ball to Carlton in good spots and opened up the floor for Vital and guys like Polley.

Hurley will be all right. His in game coaching will improve when he has guys who are consistent and talented.

Reaction Score

You do realize that last year Christian shot 40.9% from behind the arc, and prior to going down to injury Tyler was at 41.7 this year. Guess he should have gotten one of those 50% guys out there.

Reaction Score
“Not Hurley” means we get bear by larger margins. You don’t stay in a game to the end against quality teams 6 times and lose all of them when you do that. On Hurley to manage them to success.
You can only go as far as the talent/experience on you team let's you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom