On the coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

On the coach

Reaction Score
Plus, changing defenses coming out of timeouts had worked really well at Houston, and our man defense was even better then.

The reason why the right buttons don't seem to get pushed at the end of the games is that because all 9 of our players are so maddeningly inconsistent that not even JC himself (doesn't matter if you want to read that as Calhoun or Christ) would have any clue what buttons to push coming down the stretch. With this bunch you pays your nickel and you takes your choice.

When the team has individual players that you can count on, even if you can only count on them to do certain things, then come back to me.
I'm really doubting if Hurley was the right hire for Uconn.

Reaction Score
You are wrong. He is instilling that toughness and they do not quit. The terrible shooting is too much to overcome. It sounds like DH is starting the transition to the younger players who are much better shooters. He was right not to throw them into the fire right away and have them lose confidence in themselves. It’s a big transition from high school and Dan has let them get accustomed to the college game while taking the heat. He knows exactly what he is doing and is willing to take the criticism from impatient fans. That is called judgement and leadership. Dan is a very good coach and I think will be a GREAT coach for us. Give him a chance.

Reaction Score
This is a talent issue man. There's a reason Gilbert did not come back for a large part of the game and Hurley threw in the young boys to gain some valuable experience. I'm sure he realizes this season is over and you should too.

Reaction Score
“A Season On The Brink”
Feinstein should’ve camped out with this team this year, could’ve had a second best seller.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He's hasn't proved to be the wrong hire, but he hasn't yet shown he was the perfect hire. We will give him time, but I've written before that recruiting isn't all there is to coaching. If it were, then a certain guy at Kentucky would have a lot more titles.

Reaction Score
He's hasn't proved to be the wrong hire, but he hasn't yet shown he was the perfect hire. We will give him time, but I've written before that recruiting isn't all there is to coaching. If it were, then a certain guy at Kentucky would have a lot more titles.

Yep and Roy Williams is complaining about his team and he has more talent than us easily. And he looks dreadful as a coach right now.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How do you people not see that the future is bright?

A senior, fully-developed Sid Wilson alongside Bouknight, Cole, and Akok would be unreal to see. You can see it in spurts now and it’s like crack.

Reaction Score
There is only so much Hurley can do. He wants to win. Unfortunately, up until now it was pretty clear that CV, AG and JC, even with their faults, put us in the best position to win. Gaffney was so nervous early in the season he could barely dribble the ball up court.

We have reached a turning point where this is no longer the case. While the Hurley recruits + Sid (and even Whaley) continue to get better every game, the "leaders" of the team continue to make bad, sometimes lazy, sometimes selfish basketball plays. The lines on the graph have apparently crossed. I think we will see the youngsters going forward.

We wanted a program builder. He's building a program. I don't think you can say he whiffed on anyone he's brought into the program at this point. Give him the time he needs. Watch the games with a view for 2020 and you will be much less upset.

Reaction Score
Up to this point, Hurley has made a hugh mistake in evaluating AG. The results of that evaluation tells the story of his first two seasons, cost him two NIT bids.

You believe AG is the reason for not going to the NIT for 2 seasons? Who should he have gone with since this was the roster he inherited? Let's hear this one and how it's AG only. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Might be easier for you to present your argument first as to why?
Almost every other starting backcourt we play out scores our starting backcourt, out shoots ours and has less turnovers than ours especially in crunch time.

They also typically know how to break down defenders and are taller and longer.

It’s the first year ever watching a UConn season where I can confidently say our guards are not quite as good as most of our opponents. And please nobody bring HS rankings into the argument. It’s a non factor at this point

Reaction Score
It won't be. Keep trying though.
He doesn’t have to win a national championship. He does have to win games. We haven’t made the tournament in 4 years. If not next year it will be 5. At some point you become DePaul. And if we aren’t at least a bubble team next year one has to wonder if Hurley is really the guy for the job. Lots of successful mid major coaches don’t succeed at the next level. We don’t know yet if Hurley will. There are some good signs but also worrisome ones. If we are struggling to get to .500 next season, losing to bad teams losing every close game, finding ourselves in last place, I know some people will continue to make excuses. But at some point you need to be accountable and remember it is about wins and losses not almosts.

Reaction Score
Hey, his brother has been underachieving over there at AZ State. Idk maybe just maybe we need to start questioning more then the players. :)
LOL. You gonna be in TROUBLE!!! I said he needs to show progress NEXT year and some people got mad.

Reaction Score
Worth noting that Sid is pretty much the only returning player who has over performed expectations. Sid is also the only kid who Hurley seems to challenge; challenging him in press conferences, forcing him to earn minutes, etc. CV and AG can seemingly do no wrong regardless of how many mistakes they make.
Sid can get better, the others..... he’s knows they are what they are.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a talent issue man. There's a reason Gilbert did not come back for a large part of the game and Hurley threw in the young boys to gain some valuable experience. I'm sure he realizes this season is over and you should too.

How many 4* and higher recruits will it take to beat Tulsa?

Reaction Score
There is only so much Hurley can do. He wants to win. Unfortunately, up until now it was pretty clear that CV, AG and JC, even with their faults, put us in the best position to win. Gaffney was so nervous early in the season he could barely dribble the ball up court.

We have reached a turning point where this is no longer the case. While the Hurley recruits + Sid (and even Whaley) continue to get better every game, the "leaders" of the team continue to make bad, sometimes lazy, sometimes selfish basketball plays. The lines on the graph have apparently crossed. I think we will see the youngsters going forward.

We wanted a program builder. He's building a program. I don't think you can say he whiffed on anyone he's brought into the program at this point. Give him the time he needs. Watch the games with a view for 2020 and you will be much less upset.
Great post.

Reaction Score
How do you people not see that the future is bright?

A senior, fully-developed Sid Wilson alongside Bouknight, Cole, and Akok would be unreal to see. You can see it in spurts now and it’s like crack.
I think it’s partly because we’ve been hoping to be better next year so many times we are worn down. I think it’s accepted that our opponents next year will be better. We will have a few new pieces to go along with our current underclassmen but are uncertain of their ability to become a formidable team.

Reaction Score
This thread doesn’t make much sense given that this was hurleys best coached game. You won’t win many games missing wide open shots and only having 6 players who are positives when they are on the court...

Funny I thought he was much better vs. Houston. We really froze in the last two minutes, including one set out of a timeout that ended with a desperation drive from Adams, and he made some really strange substitutions after we took the lead.

But at the end of the day, you can't win if you can't make open shots (or free throws, for that matter).

Reaction Score
Might be easier for you to present your argument first as to why?

Easier? Ok, I’ll do some legwork:

After looking at the season average for the starting backcourts of all AAC teams, I found the UCONN ranking below:

Fg% - last (12th)
3fg% - 10th
Pts - 9th
a/to - 9th

Did not formally rank all teams but by eyeball it looks like UConn is the lowest rank average across all categories.

So... what is the other side of the argument?@nelson

Reaction Score
How many 4* and higher recruits will it take to beat Tulsa?
Ask that same question to Penny Hardaway. Memphis has 4 and 5 stars and just lost to Tulsa by 40. We lost a nailbiter. The losses are frustrating but if people don't see the improvement over the last few weeks then they just don't want to see it.

Reaction Score
Easier? Ok, I’ll do some legwork:

After looking at the season average for the starting backcourts of all AAC teams, I found the UCONN ranking below:

Fg% - last (12th)
3fg% - 10th
Pts - 9th
a/to - 9th

Did not formally rank all teams but by eyeball it looks like UConn is the lowest rank average across all categories.

So... what is the other side of the argument?@nelson

Never disagreed was just wondering why you wouldn't present the obvious if you were so sure. Congrats!
@admiral nelson

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We have like 8 25~30% shooters from 3 an no knock down shooters. I’d rather have 2 35-40% shooters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom