Olympic Team Announced | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
I respect your thoughts, but I disagree. I don’t think she is a me first player at all. I don’t feel like NONE of the 12 want to play with her, you don’t want her to play with them. Had she chosen not participate in last olympics she’d be on the team. The only real problem about Candace’s game is she will sometimes argue with the ref and get back/give full out effort on defense effort like I know she can.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

So how does she have some of the highest ever efficiency numbers in the league which is aided by her rebounds and assists? I'm guessing you've interviewed those other 12 players. Many have certainly come to her defense and have left other teams to be her teammate while in LA. Now, in Chicago, she defers to others on most nights, especially when they play an overmatched team.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I respect your thoughts, but I disagree. I don’t think she is a me first player at all. I don’t feel like NONE of the 12 want to play with her, you don’t want her to play with them. Had she chosen not participate in last olympics she’d be on the team. The only real problem about Candace’s game is she will sometimes argue with the ref and get back/give full out effort on defense effort like I know she can.

The full out effort thing is kinda funny. Some will argue she lacked effort, even in the years when she lead the league in efficiency. She's one of those players that glides, so to speak, and it looks effortless, but the stat sheet is filled. She has led the team in points, rebs, and assists in the same night and then someone will say she lacked effort. It's a bit comical to me.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

She won't. She is announcing the games and happy to be in that position. For someone that nobody likes, it's interesting that some like her enough for that distinction. Her popularity isn't suffering one bit.

Reaction Score
The full out effort thing is kinda funny. Some will argue she lacked effort, even in the years when she lead the league in efficiency. She's one of those players that glides, so to speak, and it looks effortless, but the stat sheet is filled. She has led the team in points, rebs, and assists in the same night and then someone will say she lacked effort. It's a bit comical to me.
Nothing to do with stats. If you watch her, you can see it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's just not correct. Candace did not CHOOSE to take herself out of Team USA consideration. She was not selected. She may like talking revisionist history these days, or Tenn fans may do that as well, but it was not her choice to be left off Team USA.

Once she was left off the team, she may have come out and said she wouldn't play for Team USA ever again, but that ship had already sailed. She was never going to be considered by Team USA again.

And none of it had to do with her physical talent. When she puts in 100% effort, she's a great player.
Wasn't her choice. It was Team USA's choice.

How she is now, how she plays now, what she says now, it's possible she has changed. But back in the day, Team USA did not want her - and this came from both players, and the committee. I do not speak of that as a fact, but rather reports I heard directly from 2nd hand sources who had communication with the players and committee members. And it was numerous reports from different people, so it's not like it was sour grapes from just one entity.

Take it all FWIW. People who love Candace will always say she was screwed and that it was "done to her". She can certainly spin what she wants now because no one is going to jump up and down (ie. players/committee members/coaches from the past) and dispute it. Just not worth the drama.

As for Nneka, if people are upset enough about it (ie. reporters), they can, and should, push Team USA for an explanation. Some fans think if Nneka was left off for an injury, so should Dee. That's complete crap. Diana has been a leader for Team USA for 4+ Olympic cycles. She's the greatest to ever play the game. She could have been half dead and she'd still have made the team.

Much like the respect they gave to Catch back in the day. Her last year on Team USA, she was the 12th player off the bench and could easily have been left off for others, ie. new blood, but like Dee (and Sue), so much respect for her that she was included. Unlike Catch, tho, Sue is still at the top of her game. A healthy Dee will be a starter for Team USA. Both are still that good...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Candace is happy. Team USA was thrilled with how the 2016 Olympic result (best team ever). All is well on that front.

Feel badly for Nneka. It is not life or death but I’m sure she is deeply disappointed.

Reaction Score
That's just not correct. Candace did not CHOOSE to take herself out of Team USA consideration. She was not selected. She may like talking revisionist history these days, or Tenn fans may do that as well, but it was not her choice to be left off Team USA.

Once she was left off the team, she may have come out and said she wouldn't play for Team USA ever again, but that ship had already sailed. She was never going to be considered by Team USA again.

And none of it had to do with her physical talent. When she puts in 100% effort, she's a great player.

Wasn't her choice. It was Team USA's choice.

How she is now, how she plays now, what she says now, it's possible she has changed. But back in the day, Team USA did not want her - and this came from both players, and the committee. I do not speak of that as a fact, but rather reports I heard directly from 2nd hand sources who had communication with the players and committee members. And it was numerous reports from different people, so it's not like it was sour grapes from just one entity.

Take it all FWIW. People who love Candace will always say she was screwed and that it was "done to her". She can certainly spin what she wants now because no one is going to jump up and down (ie. players/committee members/coaches from the past) and dispute it. Just not worth the drama.

As for Nneka, if people are upset enough about it (ie. reporters), they can, and should, push Team USA for an explanation. Some fans think if Nneka was left off for an injury, so should Dee. That's complete crap. Diana has been a leader for Team USA for 4+ Olympic cycles. She's the greatest to ever play the game. She could have been half dead and she'd still have made the team.

Much like the respect they gave to Catch back in the day. Her last year on Team USA, she was the 12th player off the bench and could easily have been left off for others, ie. new blood, but like Dee (and Sue), so much respect for her that she was included. Unlike Catch, tho, Sue is still at the top of her game. A healthy Dee will be a starter for Team USA. Both are still that good...
Not the Olympics, the world championships after she wasn’t selected to compete in the Olympics. Don’t think players will come out and say we don’t want Candace. I don’t buy it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not the Olympics, the world championships after she wasn’t selected to compete in the Olympics. Don’t think players will come out and say we don’t want Candace. I don’t buy it.
No player is going to ever come out and say it in public. It was said in private. And it was players (plural), not necessarily from UCONN. You don't have to believe me. I get it. I'm just telling you what i was told by numerous different sources.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Candace had the only triple double leading into the 2016 Olympics during the qualifying play. In other words, you don't get a triple double that includes assists and rebound if you don't pass and you don't hustle. Let's not let facts get in the way, though.

Candace Parker was also removed from the starting line up in 2012 after posting the only double / double. That double included rebounds, which means putting in the work. She also did so in very few minutes players.

But carry on..
Agree. This whole ripping on Candace about something from several years ago is past old at this point. Chicago, not coincidentally, has been one of the hottest teams in the league since she came back. Talent-wise she's undoubtedly one of the best in the world in terms of what she can do. I'm not saying that means she should be back on the team or anything, that ship has sailed, but to continue to disparage her is unfair.

Reaction Score
I find it truly amazing how some of our posters can mislabel and even vilify players without a single shred of documentation. Where is the data that indicates Candace is selfish? Have teammates stated this? Coaches? She shuts down offenses? Please describe how she does this. None of the others players want to play with her? Who's said this? I think your statements are far too critical without any substantiation. CP has won championships as a collegian and a pro, and is one of the best players in the sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh please. D is my favorite player but if you watch her, she's not exactly hustling back on defense every time. If you can't back it up with anything, then just stop...
You can easily pull up the highlights on YouTube and watch sir or ma’am

Reaction Score
I find it truly amazing how some of our posters can mislabel and even vilify players without a single shred of documentation. Where is the data that indicates Candace is selfish? Have teammates stated this? Coaches? She shuts down offenses? Please describe how she does this. None of the others players want to play with her? Who's said this? I think your statements are far too critical without any substantiation. CP has won championships as a collegian and a pro, and is one of the best players in the sport.
Here are just two examples:

#1: voted “most overrated” by her peers

#2#. Won “defensive player of the year” voted by media but not selected to 1st or 2nd team all-defense as voted by the Coaches.

E77182D2-60EC-4D44-BBAA-97C45C136688.jpeg

C271AB12-A1B2-49F1-AAC1-F080872E666E.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom