Olympic Team Announced | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Anyone else get the impression that all these sports writers already had their stories teed up and ready to go just waiting for the announcement to plug in the name of whatever player they think got snubbed?
They just recycle the same story for each USA team from the U16 team to the National team, but somehow the WC selections for the National Team are much more muted - less glory, less press I guess (same for the qualifying tournaments.)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Candace is happy. Team USA was thrilled with how the 2016 Olympic result (best team ever). All is well on that front.

Feel badly for Nneka. It is not life or death but I’m sure she is deeply disappointed.
Completely agreed on both fronts. My heart does break for Nneka, whom I have always admired, and I wanted badly to see her play in the Olympics.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a reminder on 'the USA could send three teams and win all the medals ...'
The last time the USA didn't send all their veterans to an event was 2006 WC and it was the last time they came home without the Gold. It doesn't take a lot to lose in a single elimination tournament game - a hot player and a slightly off night can derail any team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The last time the USA didn't send all their veterans to an event was 2006 WC and it was the last time they came home without the Gold. It doesn't take a lot to lose in a single elimination tournament game - a hot player and a slightly off night can derail any team.

Agree. That’s just silly and completely wrong. USA wins World Cup and Olympic gold consistently because USA BB selects players who can handle the pressure of playing and winning in those environments.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I know a few of you also follow the U.S. National Women's Soccer Team that just announced their 18-person roster on Wednesday. That announcement was followed very closely because the roster size is down from 23 in the World Cup and the preliminary matches have only two days between them. I've cut and pasted an article from the excellent soccer writer, Dan Lauletta on two personnel decisions that also involved inuries:

"Injuries, as they often do, also played into roster decisions. Forward Tobin Heath was injured playing for Manchester United in January and has not played in a competitive match since. Middie Julie Ertz was injured in mid-May and also has yet to play since. Both were included on the roster, which brings up unpleasant memories from 2016. Megan Rapinoe had torn her ACL in December 2015 and (then Coach/Manager Jill) Ellis took her to the Olympics despite no game action in between. After not being able to even play in the group stage, Rapinoe made a brief appearance in the quarterfinal, a game Ellis badly mismanaged that ended in defeat (on penalty kicks).

"Ertz and Heath still have two games ahead of the Olympics to get some base back into them, but with a short roster and tight schedules, there is a lot riding on the pair being healthy enough to withstand the rigors of the event."

U.S. Coach Vlatko Andonovski, who makes the personnel decisions, decided to bring not one, but two, of the starters from the World Cup, despite the fact that U.S. Soccer -- like basketball -- has depth galore. BTW, Coach A. named 4 alternates, which include one at each position.

The only official public comments on Nneka's omission (from Coach Staley) have mentioned her physical condition. No one knows the true extent of her (or DT's) injury -- or those of Ertz and Heath -- but U.S. Soccer is rolling the dice twice on its vets. Hoops split the difference (unless the Nneka decision was based on more than health).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this is part of the problem. There is a trend of thought that regardless of who the USA picks for the team it is not going to make a difference-USA will get gold. This fosters a lack of accountability from USA basketball in the selection process. When Syklar Diggins was cut USA basketball met with her to explain where she fell short. The 2016 omission of Parker was justifiable in simple basketball terms, i.e. there were better players at the position (Stewie and EDD) for the basketball things this team was trying to do: AKA @meyers7 "pure" basketball explanation. In 2016 there was also a player (Catch) who was willing to take a lesser role. This lack of accountability by USA basketball created a void with people creating their own explanations citing unnamed teammates and anonymous sources. In search of an explanation Geno and the personality of Parker became the low hanging fruit for the lazy to harvest-neither of which should have had anything to do with the omission of Parker in 2016. Parker didn't suddenly have a personality transplant in 2016 and Geno had won gold with Parker being very productive in 2012.

Today there is still lack of accountability by USA basketball and the lazy have turned on Dawn. Neka has been a solid citizen so there is not much for the lazy to harvest with regards to her personality. But the lazy is never easily deterred so guilt by association (teammate of Parker and Amanda Zahui B-who had the nerve to push Pheesa) will have to suffice. The lazy have also determined there has to a UCONN angle to the omission of Neka-there isn't.
It appears from both Derek Fisher and Dawn's statements that there might have been some "miscalculation or miscommunication " on when Neka would be fully heathy that may have factored into the decision to exclude her. If that was truly the case that explanation should be coming from USA basketball not Dawn. Saying you miscalculated or miscommunicated will never fully satisfy the lazy but it does demonstrate some level of accountability which USA basketball is severely lacking.

Inquiry for USA basketball and USA basketball only: Please provide a basketball explanation as to why Ariel Atkins is on my 2020 Olympic team and Neka is not.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
@CocoHusky I think you hit the nail on the head. USA Basketball refuses to provide any explanations in depth on the record (which is probably to be expected), but then reporters aren't doing the follow up required (or more accurately, given the resources required to do the followup) to find the true story. If a player of Candace Parker or Nneka's caliber were left off the men's team, there'd be multiple stories quoting "people close to the selection process" or "people familiar with USA Basketball's thinking." Instead, you're left with a lot of unsubstantiated theories that always go back to personality-driven drama. I remember when Candace was left off, people were theorizing it was because she hadn't demonstrated the same level of "commitment" to USA Basketball as others. While I always thought that theory was weak, it certainly could not be applied to Nneka--who was legit one of 8 players "cored" by USA basketball for the team. I do think, as CoCo said, there are legitimate basketball-related reasons for the formation of a team, and that despite their immense talents, Candace and Nneka's skill set did not meet the most pressing needs of the team.

That being said Coco, not sure the question is on Atkins OVER Nneka, per say (Collier over Nneka is more similar from a basketball perspective.) I think the Atkins selection makes a ton of sense. She's not only having an incredible WNBA season on offense (18ppg, on 45% FG shooting and 44% 3-pt shooting), but she is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. And minus Jewell Loyd, none of the other guards on the roster (Bird, Taurasi, Diggins, Gray) are exactly known for their defense, to put it kindly. At minimum, Atkins can play a "3 and D" role for the team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Inquiry for USA basketball and USA basketball only: Please provide a basketball explanation as to why Ariel Atkins is on my 2020 Olympic team and Neka is not.
From a pure basketball perspective, I'd say USA has the frontcourt covered. Stewart/Griner/Fowles/Charles/Wilson/Collier. The backcourt positions are covered by 2 players at the end of their careers (and one coming off an injury). If I was going to take an extra player (12th?) I'd take a guard for cover.

I don't think Atkins has "Nkeka's place". If anyone does, I'd say Collier does.

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky------------------------------------------- And minus Jewell Loyd, none of the other guards on the roster (Bird, Taurasi, Diggins, Gray) are exactly known for their defense, to put it kindly. At minimum, Atkins can play a "3 and D" role for the team.
Your post reflects a commonly held ignorant perspective on defense. Which quickness equals defensivie abilitiy. Now I would agree that Bird and Taurasi are not very good defenders at this stage of their games. Diggins is not considered a good defender but she is much better than either of the other two. Gray on the other hand is a good defender and does not deserve your "to put it kindly " remark. Your assumption is probably based on her size alone.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Currently the make up Team USA is 6 Power Forwards/Centers and 6 Point Guards/Shooting Guards.

Ariel Atkins, Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Napheesa Collier, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Sylvia Fowles, Chelsea Gray, Brittney Griner, Jewell Loyd, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi, A'ja Wilson

I have seen several of the teams play in qualifying or pre- tournament, or "friendly" games and besides Cambage on Australia I dont think there is a "big" that the 6 we have, have to worry about. I might have made up Team USA with 7 pg/sg/w and 5 bigs, but I have no problem with the 6/6 split.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It's actually not based on her size; it's more based on my general sense that no one has ever called her defense abilities standout (and she's never made a WNBA all defense team). But I am fine being corrected on Gray's defensive capabilities; I do maintain in the year 2021, you don't want to count on Bird/Taurasi/Diggins-Smith to shut anyone down. And I think even with Gray, Atkins adds a lot of defensive capabilities to the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I know a few of you also follow the U.S. National Women's Soccer Team that just announced their 18-person roster on Wednesday. That announcement was followed very closely because the roster size is down from 23 in the World Cup and the preliminary matches have only two days between them. I've cut and pasted an article from the excellent soccer writer, Dan Lauletta on two personnel decisions that also involved inuries:

"Injuries, as they often do, also played into roster decisions. Forward Tobin Heath was injured playing for Manchester United in January and has not played in a competitive match since. Middie Julie Ertz was injured in mid-May and also has yet to play since. Both were included on the roster, which brings up unpleasant memories from 2016. Megan Rapinoe had torn her ACL in December 2015 and (then Coach/Manager Jill) Ellis took her to the Olympics despite no game action in between. After not being able to even play in the group stage, Rapinoe made a brief appearance in the quarterfinal, a game Ellis badly mismanaged that ended in defeat (on penalty kicks).

"Ertz and Heath still have two games ahead of the Olympics to get some base back into them, but with a short roster and tight schedules, there is a lot riding on the pair being healthy enough to withstand the rigors of the event."

U.S. Coach Vlatko Andonovski, who makes the personnel decisions, decided to bring not one, but two, of the starters from the World Cup, despite the fact that U.S. Soccer -- like basketball -- has depth galore. BTW, Coach A. named 4 alternates, which include one at each position.

The only official public comments on Nneka's omission (from Coach Staley) have mentioned her physical condition. No one knows the true extent of her (or DT's) injury -- or those of Ertz and Heath -- but U.S. Soccer is rolling the dice twice on its vets. Hoops split the difference (unless the Nneka decision was based on more than health).
dude, her sisters, coach, and those who know her well tweeted or said in interviews, that it was not due to her injury. Politics. Stunning Olympic snub of Nneka Ogwumike about basketball politics, not talent
Let's be honest, you have Griner, Fowler, Charles, Stewart, Wilson, and Collier who are playing, and better then Nneka who is injured. There is only 120 minutes for the frontcourt. That's 20 minutes if spread equally. Wilson, and Stewart will get at least 25 apiece. There isn't room for another frontcourt player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find it interesting how USA basketball based on their listing of the NT sees Collier - her position is listed as G/F which to my thinking means they see her as the only wing/3/SF selected to the roster and suggests that Nneka was not actually in competition for the same roster spot with Collier. I do think it came down to a sixth guard or a 6th forward/center and they chose a sixth guard in Atkins.

EDD is listed as G/F as was Augustus and Angel, and DT has been listed as such previously as well. In 2012 Parker was listed as F/C/G and Stewart has been listed as F/C

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, you have Griner, Fowler, Charles, Stewart, Wilson, and Collier who are playing, and better then Nneka who is injured. There is only 120 minutes for the frontcourt. That's 20 minutes if spread equally. Wilson, and Stewart will get at least 25 apiece. There isn't room for another frontcourt player.
Nneka will be playing for the Sparks next week. Again, injury is not the issue. She earned a spot on the team for numerous reasons which Ann Killion perfectly outlined in her article.

Reaction Score
Nneka will be playing for the Sparks next week. Again, injury is not the issue. She earned a spot on the team for numerous reasons which Ann Killion perfectly outlined in her article.
Nneka was not going to play much on this team, so adding her was not an option.

Reaction Score
Summary...everyone would pick a different team...for one reason or another. AND...someone would argue that someone got snubbed. You could have a 20 team roster...and the same would apply. There's TWELVE. That's it. Support them or not. They will most likely still win. Any TEAM event faces these same decisions. Other countries and even other American teams wish they had this problem. Last thing...I think if people (I'm talking Peters, Parker and Fisher types) want to tweet that someone was snubbed, then at least include who you would remove. It's only fair that they face the same critiquing albeit it won't be as passionate because they aren't in the position to choose 12 players out of a very talented pool. Peters irks me the most because....I could argue for most of her WNBA career...she was probably taking someone's spot on the Lynx when she won an WNBA title. I was shocked that Grant was selected on the men's side. I don't see the same passionate arguments and conspiracies that he or anyone else took someone else's spot. I suspect a lot of the difference is that the best women don't make millions making the Olympics a bigger deal. The best men will decline in a minute because....they are not trying to get hurt.

Reaction Score
If Maya Moore were still playing, there would be six Huskies on the team. That's half the team! Am I wrong?
Would you select her? Who would you remove? This selection process isn't the same as picking US sprinters in individual events. There's a committee because...opinions vary. My point is...no matter who anyone chooses...they will be wrong to some other people.

Reaction Score
Ariel Atkins is the one they should’ve left off. She plays well sometimes and sometimes she just okay. Very streaky player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/a..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

Miller deferred to Callan when asked about the decision earlier this week by ESPN. Without specifically mentioning Ogwumike, Miller said it's “really, really difficult” to build the ideal roster.

“There’s so many great players, and ultimately you’re trying to put together the best team possible to allow the coaching staff to have success,” Miller said. “Every coaching staff every four years is a little bit different in their desires of how to build a team and what their preferences are. You try as a committee to understand the philosophical beliefs of that coaching staff.”

Reaction Score
Sorry if what I'm about to say was talked about, just coming in this thread cold. If Bird and Taurasi were not on team, would that make room for Nneka to make the team, or is the problem with the other 3 UConn players on the team?

1624636304845.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this is part of the problem. There is a trend of thought that regardless of who the USA picks for the team it is not going to make a difference-USA will get gold. This fosters a lack of accountability from USA basketball in the selection process. When Syklar Diggins was cut USA basketball met with her to explain where she fell short. The 2016 omission of Parker was justifiable in simple basketball terms, i.e. there were better players at the position (Stewie and EDD) for the basketball things this team was trying to do: AKA @meyers7 "pure" basketball explanation. In 2016 there was also a player (Catch) who was willing to take a lesser role. This lack of accountability by USA basketball created a void with people creating their own explanations citing unnamed teammates and anonymous sources. In search of an explanation Geno and the personality of Parker became the low hanging fruit for the lazy to harvest-neither of which should have had anything to do with the omission of Parker in 2016. Parker didn't suddenly have a personality transplant in 2016 and Geno had won gold with Parker being very productive in 2012.

Today there is still lack of accountability by USA basketball and the lazy have turned on Dawn. Neka has been a solid citizen so there is not much for the lazy to harvest with regards to her personality. But the lazy is never easily deterred so guilt by association (teammate of Parker and Amanda Zahui B-who had the nerve to push Pheesa) will have to suffice. The lazy have also determined there has to a UCONN angle to the omission of Neka-there isn't.
It appears from both Derek Fisher and Dawn's statements that there might have been some "miscalculation or miscommunication " on when Neka would be fully heathy that may have factored into the decision to exclude her. If that was truly the case that explanation should be coming from USA basketball not Dawn. Saying you miscalculated or miscommunicated will never fully satisfy the lazy but it does demonstrate some level of accountability which USA basketball is severely lacking.

I have a different take on this. USA Basketball is accountable. How? Results. Isn't that the ultimate in accountability for any organization? USA Basketball wins consistently and impressively on the world stage. The worst anyone says about USA Basketball is that there is politics (exists to some extent in every human endeavor) and that every 4 years it "snubs" a player. Then, a few weeks later, USA Basketball proceeds to win gold in impressive fashion. At some point there will likely be another 2006 World Cup (Australia next year?) and all the Twitter naysayers will trace that loss back to UConn, Geno and the snubs. That's just the way it is. USA Basketball will regroup as it did after the 2006 loss and move on.

I don't see the value in having Carol Callan or anyone from USA Basketball address why one player is chosen over another. I also doubt the players want that decision-making aired publicly. Also, where do you draw the line? Is it just the latest "snub" that needs to be explained? Or should USA Basketball go down the list and explain why others didn't make the team? Who asks? The media? Should Carol Callan take questions on twitter? To what end? As was the case with Parker in 2016, discussion of Nneka will eventually fade and USA Basketball will move on to Tokyo. I say that not to minimize Nneka's disappointment but that's where the focus needs to be. Nneka can then decide whether she wants a future with USA Basketball starting with next year's World Cup.

If a player wants to know why she didn't make the team then she deserves to be told why by USA Basketball. If that players chooses to share that information publicly then that is her right.

Also, you say Catchings "was willing to take a lesser role" in 2016. I'm not sure where that comes from but I guarantee you Catchings was disappointed with how little she played in 2016.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom