Olympic Team Announced | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
I always figure that a national team coach has two important votes: 1 veto vote for a player they do not want, and a '12 person' vote for the last roster spot - they may never use either vote or they may use one or both if the committee doesn't reach consensus on the roster.
That may be but let me say this. As much as Dawn Staley has been in on the Social Justice Movement I cannot fathom her giving Ogwumike a no vote considering her involvement in the bubble last year. My theory is they couldn't take 2 players that are both coming off injuries that have kept them out for an extended period of time. Ogwumike may have just been the odd woman out because they won't know if she's going to be ok until the last minute. Pheesa is a player that can play multiple positions and that may have been her ticket. It makes sense. The problem is if somebody gets hurt between now and then and they want to pick up another player the politics are going to make it hard no matter who they want to get.

Reaction Score
I think this chart is why many question the rosters over the years. Not saying these UConn players did not deserve a spot however it’s clear that UConn players dominate the USA rosters over the years View attachment 68146
They dominate rosters because they dominate wcbb.
Can you imagine a team with Ionescu, Paige, AND Clark? Plus the established USAWBB talent like Stewie, et al? I get that we want to win, but do we need to obliterate every other team in the world???
After Ionescu and Clark get done shooting...how many possessions would be left?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sue Bird's wife? You're talking about Megan Rapinoe? I am not seeing where she commented on the matter or replied to the Twitter vomit-rant in question. I suspect you're looking at a fan account.

LOL Exactly right. Megan is not going to endorse Geno or Carol Callan being called 'trash" or "full of sh$t." The rant was a gross attack on people close to Sue.

Interesting that the rant called out several people by name except Dawn. And here I thought the coach picks the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LOL Exactly right. Megan is not going to endorse Geno or Carol Callan being called 'trash" or "full of sh$t." The rant was a gross attack on people close to Sue.

Interesting that the rant called out several people by name except Dawn. And here I thought the coach picks the team.
I am guessing the Megan reference was to her talking about selection in her own sport soccer? I seem to recall she had discussed this a bit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hmm not so sure of that opinion of "much less care what she says" because her post received enough responses to show otherwise ; for and against her opinions mostly for it .
I looked at the responses. I didn't see any positive response from someone whose opinion carries any weight.

I have no problem with anyone making a strong case why Nneka should have been on the team. That bile-filled rant doesn't do it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not weighing in on the team selection as I prefer not to give an opinion on something I have limited knowledge about behind the scenes. But you couldn’t be more wrong about people not caring about what what she said. Take a look at the responses and you will see it’s caught a broad range of support from people who care about what was said, including a huge number of people more involved/knowledgeable in/about basketball than 99% of the posters on this forum. The commenters range from coaches to players to Sue Birds own wife (who has some pretty harsh words to say herself about the selection process). Not trying to take any side, just pointing out many people do care about what she said, including those within the basketball community (ie, not just fans)

Sue doesn't yet have a wife and I highly doubt Megan is going to endorse calling Sue's former coach and others connected to USA Basketball as trash or full of sh$t. In any event, I read the responses and remain unimpressed. I stand by my post.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Well at this point it wouldn't even feel like a complete Olympic cycle without all of the UConn- and Geno-haters coming out of the woodwork.

tenor-10.gif

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Committee made right call with Sue and Dee…no way you send Dawn to coach in her Olympic debut without serious amount of player leadership and Olympic experience on that team…

Candace omitted 2016 no problem, she played her way off the team in London 2012, All everything on offense doesn’t pass but would give points right back on defense and lack of hustle in transition.

Candace out Angel in, Angel out Candace in. 1 player play’s for themselves the other gets out of control. Both have great skills but neither really learned the game, but being a scorer is all that counts right!

“Candace Parker good enough to keep both teams in the game”

Nneka should have been on 2016 team no doubt. This year I would have picked her over Atkins.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
again, her Injury was not the reason.

? ? In the very article you link as proof of your claim Staley says that the reason NO was not selected was indeed because of injury and the fact that the selections were made now. She added that in a month NO likely would be healthy and the writer ran with that as proof she really did not mean what she said about the injury, rather than a nod to NO being good enough to make the team if the selections were held a month later.

The article supports your claim because of speculation by the author. The actual facts of what the coach says refutes the claim.

Reaction Score
Nice selection of players. Good blend of experience with youth. Solid blend of offense & defense. Great leadership and the passing of the torch.

Reaction Score
I don't know but the players will face each other in the league for many years. Why so serious for that spot? I never see a NBA player is fighting so seriously for the spot.
The Olympics is a special event a lot of these players dream about being a part of. A basketball playing career isn't infinite like some sports. This could be Nneka's last opportunity to play, who knows? I appreciate her passion and desire to represent her country.

I believe the selection process is different for the men's side, however there's been drama in the past over NBA player selections. Even dating back to the Dream Team, with Isiah Thomas being left off the team. To this day, Thomas still thinks he was snubbed and should have been there. People think that Jordan had a hand in it. This is reminiscent of what posters are saying about Candace Parker.

There also was the Christian Laettner over Shaquille O'Neal decision for the NCAA player spot. People assumed Coach K had some influence in the decision. Laettner was considered a golden boy, where Shaq was still raw. Some saw that as racial bias back then from what I remember.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think I saw Mechelle Voepel's ESPNw article from Tuesday evening posted, which focuses primarily on LA Sparks Coach Derek Fisher's thoughts on the USA National Committee's decision. So, here goes:

According to Voepel:

"Fisher referenced the fact that in July 2019, Ogwumike was named as one of eight players who committed to participate in USA Basketball training and competition in 2019-20 rather than go overseas. The eight were essentially considered core players for the 2020 Olympics, although the Summer Games, of course, were postponed a year by the coronavirus pandemic.

"Six of those eight were named to the 12-member 2021 Olympic team Monday. The two who weren't named Olympians were Ogwumike and Washington's Elena Delle Donne.

"I don't know what else a player is supposed to do," Fisher said. "She's been an All-Star six times in the last 10 years. She's been MVP of the league, a champion in the league, one of the faces of the league."

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One of the reasons for concern among some, is that Nneka's
contributions to the sport (although quite remarkable as a player) extend significantly beyond the court.

Could she have have irked one or more members of the committee
as a result of her activism?

It would be hard to believe that Dawn would be so influenced...
Perhaps this is the ultimate proof that the coach's wishes are not the last word...
(Geno excepted) :)

Reaction Score
So very happy that Candace Parker is NOT on the team.
A BIG MOUTH 1 way player. she's allergic to Defense.
Nneke on the other hand, should have been on the team. Great player on the court and a Beauty off the court. Smart too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am sorry Nneka isn't on the team - and unlike some other players she has shown her commitment to USA basketball by being available whenever requested (something USA basketball definitely pays attention to.) As for 2016 ... yes it was her career year and it was an unbelievable year, she shot 10% better than her career average and 25% better from 3 with more rebounds, more assists, and more blocks than any year before or since, but that year mostly occurred well after the team was selected and it is only in retrospect that you can really say 'why didn't they select her.' She has also played in the 2014 and 2018 WCs and been a valuable member of the team earning three starts when Griner wasn't available for the first two games in 2018.

Nneka joins a number of players who have filled in for WCs and contributed a lot when other Olympians were unavailable - Candice Dupree comes to mind whose 2010 and 2014 WC campaigns were really good but who never made an Olympics. Nneka probably got her 2014 spot because Parker wasn't available (Parker has never been available for a spot on the WC except as a college player.)

Just as a note on some other comments - I have been really impressed with how well Angel McCoughtry played on her Olympic and WC teams. She accepted and thrived as a bench player, sublimating her professional/college game to the team's needs, playing killer defense and providing very efficient offense. I can only remember one game where she was really out of sync and picked up quick fouls and was quickly benched.

Playing well for the national team requires star players changing their games to fit into an all-star team - some players transition smoothly, some learn quickly, and some do not ever get it. It is a very different situation from the unwatchable standard All Star games and USA doesn't have their winning streak without the players quickly learning to play as a team and not as all-stars. (This is specifically not directed at the non-selection of Nneka but at selections overall - you see in all sports at all levels that the most talented team seldom wins unless they are also a really good TEAM.)

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Committee made right call with Sue and Dee…no way you send Dawn to coach in her Olympic debut without serious amount of player leadership and Olympic experience on that team…

Candace omitted 2016 no problem, she played her way off the team in London 2012, All everything on offense doesn’t pass but would give points right back on defense and lack of hustle in transition.

Candace out Angel in, Angel out Candace in. 1 player play’s for themselves the other gets out of control. Both have great skills but neither really learned the game, but being a scorer is all that counts right!

“Candace Parker good enough to keep both teams in the game”

Nneka should have been on 2016 team no doubt. This year I would have picked her over Atkins.

You do realize that Candace had the only triple double leading into the 2016 Olympics during the qualifying play. In other words, you don't get a triple double that includes assists and rebound if you don't pass and you don't hustle. Let's not let facts get in the way, though.

Candace Parker was also removed from the starting line up in 2012 after posting the only double / double. That double included rebounds, which means putting in the work. She also did so in very few minutes players.

But carry on..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom