Olympic Team Announced | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
Can you imagine a team with Ionescu, Paige, AND Clark? Plus the established USAWBB talent like Stewie, et al? I get that we want to win, but do we need to obliterate every other team in the world???
Yes, Obliteration is required.... because we can!

Reaction Score
What about Akire Ogunbowale? And I know Nneka is a good player but that fact her sister wrote that piece pleading for her to be on the team is sad to me...
I believe her swearing at Geno during a game in college is disqualifying for the Olympic team. One needs to be aware of whom one swears at, even in college. Sorry for your loss.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Where I agree with the haters is that the process is shrouded in mystery. I don't think many people really understand selection criteria.
The selection for every team is always 'shrouded in mystery', whether it is a local rec league or an Olympic team in any sport, and whether it is a single coach or a large committee. With sprinters or swimmers or weight lifters, or other individual sports ... there is a time, or a weight, or a competition record that is clear cut, but a team is a mixture of individual skills and chemistry with a little magic thrown in, all predicated on a specific system and coaching philosophy and it is subjective process of selection. (You can look at the US Rider Cup struggles as a perfect example - no one questions the US team's individual records, put them in a team format competition and they have struggled to be competitive against lesser talents.)

I think keeping selection decisions private is to protect everyone involved - the individual 'not selected', the team members selected, the coaches, the selection committee. Any national team sport is drawn from a really small community from administrators to trainers to coaches to players and everyone is under serious pressure - airing the dirty linen isn't going to change the outcome and might screw up relations for years. Let the media write what they want and the 'disrespected' individual say what they want, and their posse foment their conspiracy theories and just go about the business of putting together the team for competition. You aren't likely to change anyone's opinions no matter what you say. If the selectors and or coaches and or players don't perform to their expected standards heads will roll and reputations will be tarnished.

Reaction Score
There are 12 spots. Someone is not going to make it. AND...no matter who that someone might be...there's more than likely a credible argument why they should. Same thing on the mens side. Same thing in other olympic sports. It's like the college football playoffs. What I reject as a legitimate argument is that there's this grand conspiracy by Geno or Uconn. Dawn Staley is THE COACH. It makes perfect sense that if a school has been dominating the landscape for over a decade that many of the players might make an olympic team. The likes of Devereaux Peters is certainly entitled to her opinion as well, but her Geno/Uconn conspiracy is annoying...not to mention just tired. She should understand that when constructing a team it's not always about getting all the best players. She won two WNBA Championships not being anywhere close to the best player on those teams. She did fulfill a defensive need. I will say that I would not be opposed to a limit on the number of Olympics per athlete.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The flag should not be worn as apparel. (A pet peeve of mine.). Perhaps more importantly, it should never touch the ground which is Paragraph (b).
That ship sailed with MJ

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Can anyone provide an answer as to how/why was she left off the team in 2016? She was playing great that year. It's the only year I can understand there possibly where someone could gripe about it.

When you look at the depth of talent in US basketball, there's no way anyone is going to be happy with the team that is selected. There will always be periods of time where the alumni of a specific program will dominate. I don't know how the committee will be able to get around that.
The team was announced in April, before the 2016 season. Parker in the 2015 season averaged 19 points, 10 boards, and 6 assists and was at the top of her game and widely considered a top 3-4 player in the world at that time. It's been somewhat understood that Parker and Geno weren't a great match in 2012 and there wasn't a lot of love lost between them. There was a lot of speculation that politics/chemistry was the reason she didn't get picked, since skill wise she was clearly among the best in the world at the time. Worth noting, Nneka's breakout season happened after the announcement in 2016.

Reaction Score
The selection for every team is always 'shrouded in mystery', whether it is a local rec league or an Olympic team in any sport, and whether it is a single coach or a large committee. With sprinters or swimmers or weight lifters, or other individual sports ... there is a time, or a weight, or a competition record that is clear cut, but a team is a mixture of individual skills and chemistry with a little magic thrown in, all predicated on a specific system and coaching philosophy and it is subjective process of selection. (You can look at the US Rider Cup struggles as a perfect example - no one questions the US team's individual records, put them in a team format competition and they have struggled to be competitive against lesser talents.)

I think keeping selection decisions private is to protect everyone involved - the individual 'not selected', the team members selected, the coaches, the selection committee. Any national team sport is drawn from a really small community from administrators to trainers to coaches to players and everyone is under serious pressure - airing the dirty linen isn't going to change the outcome and might screw up relations for years. Let the media write what they want and the 'disrespected' individual say what they want, and their posse foment their conspiracy theories and just go about the business of putting together the team for competition. You aren't likely to change anyone's opinions no matter what you say. If the selectors and or coaches and or players don't perform to their expected standards heads will roll and reputations will be tarnished.
Exactly. And anyone who thinks that the head coach doesn't have substantial control over who does, and in particular who doesn't make this team, is just uninformed. To think that a coach at Auriemma's level, or even Staley's would allow a committee to force a player he or she didn't want on them is ridiculous. I doubt they would take the job in that case.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong. Nneka was robbed. She had grade 2 knee spain on June 2 and was expected to miss 4-6 weeks. The first game isn't until July 30th so plenty of time. Nneka's stats and experience stand alone, including her 5 yrs experience on the national team. She should be on the team. . If Amy Tucker and Kate Paye tweeted their disgust, something is off, way off.

If she's expected to miss up to 6 weeks, that puts her at a potentially July 14th recovery date. From my understanding, the recovery date doesn't mean she's expected to be 100% by then, just that she's cleared to play and realistically it'll likely take additional time to get fully back into the swing of things. With games July 30th, that's a short turn around to be competing at top level. Injuries also present an element of the unknown that USA basketball perhaps wanted to avoid, since recovery times can often lag on longer.

Nneka has great experience and it's terrific that she was MVP in a qualifier 16 months ago, but I don't think having a big game in a 75 point blow out vs Mozambique (which is why she won MVP) means she should be a lock for the Olympic team. I would've loved to see her in Tokyo largely due to how much she does for the WNBA/women's basketball, as well as for her experience and I think she's earned a shot to represent her country, but I understand why she was left off in favor of players like Charles/Collier.

Reaction Score
I think this chart is why many question the rosters over the years. Not saying these UConn players did not deserve a spot however it’s clear that UConn players dominate the USA rosters over the years
AEE1E59F-1F65-4BB1-96E2-F2A0E50181AE.jpeg

Reaction Score
There re 12 spots. Someone is not going to make it. AND...no matter who that someone might be...there's more than likely a credible argument why they should. Same thing on the mens side. Same thing in other olympic sports. It's like the college football playoffs. What I reject as a legitimate argument is that there's this grand conspiracy by Geno or Uconn. Dawn Staley is THE COACH. It makes perfect sense that if a school has been dominating the landscape for over a decade that many of the players might make an olympic team. The likes of Devereaux Peters is certainly entitled to her opinion as well, but her Geno/Uconn conspiracy is annoying...not to mention just tired. She should understand that when constructing a team it's not always about getting all the best players. She won two WNBA Championships not being anywhere close to the best player on those teams. She did fulfill a defensive need. I will say that I would not be opposed to a limit on the number of Olympics per athlete.
In the track and field events there is no discretion or judgment. You either qualify or you don't so it is different. You are right though, there will always be controversy. If you look at the team that was picked not by the Coach but by the "Committee", you will see a "teammates" team with matched up coaches.

You have Stewie, Sue and LLoyd from the Storm (with a matching coach) , Fowles and Pheesa from the Lynx ( with a matching coach) DT, Griner and Skylar from the Mercury, and Charles and Atkins from the Mystics and Wilson and Gray from the Aces, I see guards who know how to play off of and also get the ball to their centers or power players, lots of speed, good outside shooters and "kick ass" leaders in DT and Bird who know this is their "Last Hurrah". Expect tears and jubilation.

You have 4 centers ( Wilson can also be a 4 on this team) and the best player in the world also at the 4 spot. The ball is going inside where there will be overwhelming superiority by the Americans. Look at the 2 principal entry passers, DT and Bird with Atkins, Gray and Skylar as back ups in my book, all 5 of whom are good if not great (for some) 3 point shooters and scorers as well. Then there is Pheesa who I think is a perfect middle fit and good passer and defender also. This is a great team. The "teammates" approach will help a lot in the short practice window. I am excited to see them play as should all Americans.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this chart is why many question the rosters over the years. Not saying these UConn players did not deserve a spot however it’s clear that UConn players dominate the USA rosters over the years View attachment 68146
And?
Let see:
2000-2016 - 17 NCAA championships contested 10 Uconn wins.
2000-2021 - 21 NCAA contests 18 Uconn FF teams
College is the breeding ground for the WNBA and Uconn has dominated the college seasons since 2000. Baylor with three wins, TN and ND with two are the next closest teams in wins, ND with 8 FF teams, TN and Stanford with 6, and LSU with 5 are next in FF appearances. Uconn has also dominated in players and stars in the WNBA over that period as well.
The Uconn players on the USA team this year:
Sue: three years healthy, three FF, two NCs
DT: 4 FF, 3 NCs
Tina: 3 FF, 2 NCs
Stewart: 4 FF, 4 NCs
Collier: 4 FF 1 NC
You notice that while Uconn was just arriving on the radar in 1996 and 2000 they had a single player on each team - both from the 1995 NC team. By 2004, three players arrived two from TASSK class and DT off her 3rd NC.
2008 Uconn is represented by Sue and DT, TN by 3 Parker, Lawson, and Catchings off their string of FF and NCs and LSU by Augustus and Fowles off their 5 FFs.
2012 Sue and Swin and DT joined by Maya and Tina off their two undefeated NCs and 4/3 FF and Asjha (for a swan song as a 'coach's pick.)
2016 drop Swin and Asjha and add Stewart
2021 drop Maya and add Collier

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Exactly. And anyone who thinks that the head coach doesn't have substantial control over who does, and in particular who doesn't make this team, is just uninformed. To think that a coach at Auriemma's level, or even Staley's would allow a committee to force a player he or she didn't want on them is ridiculous. I doubt they would take the job in that case.
I always figure that a national team coach has two important votes: 1 veto vote for a player they do not want, and a '12 person' vote for the last roster spot - they may never use either vote or they may use one or both if the committee doesn't reach consensus on the roster.

Reaction Score
I always figure that a national team coach has two important votes: 1 veto vote for a player they do not want, and a '12 person' vote for the last roster spot - they may never use either vote or they may use one or both if the committee doesn't reach consensus on the roster.
At least two. The people on the committee all know how important it is to fill the roster with talent that can play the HC’s system since he/she isn’t about to change that.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing. Fortunately few know who she is much less care what she says.
Not weighing in on the team selection as I prefer not to give an opinion on something I have limited knowledge about behind the scenes. But you couldn’t be more wrong about people not caring about what what she said. Take a look at the responses and you will see it’s caught a broad range of support from people who care about what was said, including a huge number of people more involved/knowledgeable in/about basketball than 99% of the posters on this forum. The commenters range from coaches to players to Sue Birds own wife (who has some pretty harsh words to say herself about the selection process). Not trying to take any side, just pointing out many people do care about what she said, including those within the basketball community (ie, not just fans)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a lot of speculation that politics/chemistry was the reason she didn't get picked,
I'm sure there was... in some corners. There was also 'some speculation' that her potential teammates did not want her on the team and viewed her as a significant detriment to chemistry. How did that team end up doing in the Olympics that year?

Reaction Score
In the track and field events there is no discretion or judgment. You either qualify or you don't so it is different. You are right though, there will always be controversy. If you look at the team that was picked not by the Coach but by the "Committee", you will see a "teammates" team with matched up coaches.

You have Stewie, Sue and LLoyd from the Storm (with a matching coach) , Fowles and Pheesa from the Lynx ( with a matching coach) DT, Griner and Skylar from the Mercury, and Charles and Atkins from the Mystics and Wilson and Gray from the Aces, I see guards wyho know how to play off of and also get the ball to their centers or power players, lots of speed, good outside shooters and "kick ass" leaders in DT and Bird who know this is their "Last Hurrah". Expect tears and jubilation.

You have 4 centers ( Wilson can also be a 4 on this team) and the best player in the world also at the 4 spot. The ball is going inside where there will be overwhelming superiority by the Americans. Look at the 2 principal entry passers, DT and Bird with Atkins, Gray and Skylar as back ups in my book, all 5 of whom are good if not great (for some) 3 point shooters and scorers as well. Then there is Pheesa who I think is a perfect middle fit and good passer and defender also. This is a great team. The "teammates" approach will help a lot in the short practice window. I am excited to see them play as should all Americans.
You have 2 Forwards in Stewie and A'ja who will drive teams crazy. They both at mid-range can knock down the jumper, drive past you to the hoop, or dump the pass down to the center for a layup.
Their size at 6-4, and 6-5 is a matchup nightmare for all the Olympic teams.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm sure there was... in some corners. There was also 'some speculation' that her potential teammates did not want her on the team and viewed her as a significant detriment to chemistry. How did that team end up doing in the Olympics that year?
Haven't heard that one besides on here but perhaps there is truth in it. Who knows.

At any rate, USA basketball is so far ahead of the world that they could likely field 3 teams who would take gold/silver/bronze at most Olympic games. Take out any 4-5 players on Team USA and they'll still roll over anyone (this year or in 2016).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Every 4 years we go through the same drill. "She was robbed", "the selection committee sucks", "it's all politics" etc., etc. ad nauseum.

It seems to me that the selection committee has done a bang up job for the last 25 years or so. The USA national team is 66-3 with 6 consecutive gold medals. Their last loss in tournament play was 2006.

Since none of us were in the room when the team was selected maybe we should ignore the sour grapes twitter whiners and all the social media basketball experts and just support the team that USA basketball has put together.

But where's the fun in that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Haven't heard that one besides on here but perhaps there is truth in it. Who knows.

At any rate, USA basketball is so far ahead of the world that they could likely field 3 teams who would take gold/silver/bronze at most Olympic games. Take out any 4-5 players on Team USA and they'll still roll over anyone (this year or in 2016).
I guess. Still I'm glad that USA fielded a team that worked so well together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she's expected to miss up to 6 weeks, that puts her at a potentially July 14th recovery date. From my understanding, the recovery date doesn't mean she's expected to be 100% by then, just that she's cleared to play and realistically it'll likely take additional time to get fully back into the swing of things. With games July 30th, that's a short turn around to be competing at top level. Injuries also present an element of the unknown that USA basketball perhaps wanted to avoid, since recovery times can often lag on longer.

Nneka has great experience and it's terrific that she was MVP in a qualifier 16 months ago, but I don't think having a big game in a 75 point blow out vs Mozambique (which is why she won MVP) means she should be a lock for the Olympic team. I would've loved to see her in Tokyo largely due to how much she does for the WNBA/women's basketball, as well as for her experience and I think she's earned a shot to represent her country, but I understand why she was left off in favor of players like Charles/Collier.
again, her Injury was not the reason.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Take a look at the responses and you will see it’s caught a broad range of support from people who care about what was said, including a huge number of people more involved/knowledgeable in/about basketball than 99% of the posters on this forum. The commenters range from coaches to players to Sue Birds own wife (who has some pretty harsh words to say herself about the selection process).
Sue Bird's wife? You're talking about Megan Rapinoe? I am not seeing where she commented on the matter or replied to the Twitter vomit-rant in question. I suspect you're looking at a fan account.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom