Olympic Team Announced | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If Candace Parker makes a bad pass, she won't even get back past half court on defense because she's too busy sulking. So I wouldn't hold her up as a paragon of "consistent drive".
giphy-9.gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For old(er) guys like me, the wing (3) was a small forward. Now that teams are going to more three-guard sets, it could be the taller guard, who can hit the boards, drive, help out inside. I think Jewell Loyd is actually the wing/off-guard (3-2) combo on this team. (Atkins is 5'8").
I would have sworn that Atkins was at least 5'10. At 5'8 she is more suited to the 2 for sure.

This is weird. USA Basketball and the Mystics have her listed at 5-8, but UT always had her at 5-11. And then we have a FIBA site that lists her as 5-1 ... hmmm.

Ariel ATKINS at the EuroCup Women 2018-19 - FIBA.basketball

A couple years ago I stood a few feet from her at an autograph signing at the Frank Erwin Center, and she is right around my height (5-11). IMO there is no way she is 5-8 unless she was somehow wearing high heels without my noticing.

Reaction Score
Bird has 100% earned her spot back, but DT's spot is more in the air(just because of the injury). I think its good that they will have really good forwards and Centers behind them, because neither have been that great defensively this year. DT specifically, who has two really god defenders behind her.

This is a solid roster. Like others have said, I think Atkins is the only surprise and Nneka is the biggest omission. But I am not a committee person so I'm not going any further with that. Go USA! I'm excited for Napheesa, she deserves to be on this team. Along with Diggins-Smith and Loyd!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is weird. USA Basketball and the Mystics have her listed at 5-8, but UT always had her at 5-11. And then we have a FIBA site that lists her as 5-1 ... hmmm.

Ariel ATKINS at the EuroCup Women 2018-19 - FIBA.basketball

A couple years ago I stood a few feet from her at an autograph signing at the Frank Erwin Center, and she is right around my height (5-11). IMO there is no way she is 5-8 unless she was somehow wearing high heels without my noticing.
I just looked at some Mystics team photos and determined that she is slightly taller than Toliver and slightly shorter than Cloud.

Toliver is listed at 5'7 and Cloud at 5'9 so 5'8 seems right for Atkins.

Plays taller, though. Or at least that's my story ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No one should be questioning Bird.

The only reason to question DT would be the injury and in the one or two games I saw on TV (at least one pre-injury) I really didn't think she looked as good as previous years. But one of her characteristics has been to be her best at the biggest moments, so . . . Assuming she can play, as I do, she deserves the opportunity and I expect her to be a starter and a team leader.

Reaction Score
I love Nneka and hoped she'd make the team for a multitude of reasons, but understand why she didn't. She didn't play well last season, is currently injured and isn't at the same level she was in 2016. Collier as of the last year or so has shown to be a better player and Charles is having a great season so I dont have a problem with them getting spots over Nneka. Her getting snubbed doesn't compared to Parker getting snubbed in 2016, apples and oranges.
You couldn't be more wrong. Nneka was robbed. She had grade 2 knee spain on June 2 and was expected to miss 4-6 weeks. The first game isn't until July 30th so plenty of time. Nneka's stats and experience stand alone, including her 5 yrs experience on the national team. She should be on the team. . If Amy Tucker and Kate Paye tweeted their disgust, something is off, way off.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some UConny Quotes

Collier achieves her dream | Sports | journalinquirer.com

"The fact that just about half the team is UConn players says a lot about the program," Stewart said. It says a lot about what we did when we were at UConn and are now continuing to build on that success as we come onto the professional stage. This is the reason why we went to UConn, to not only be our best when we're in college but continue to be our best as pros, to continue to follow our dreams and reach new goals.

"I'm just going to continue to do what I do best: continue to help our team go for our seventh consecutive gold medal," she said. "I was a baby in my first Olympics. Now coming back five years later, I'm looking forward to continuing to make an impact, help everyone get better and help the people who haven't been there before be their best and enjoy it."

“I feel so honored that USA chose me and that I get to experience this with this team of amazing women,” Collier said during a Zoom call with reporters Monday. “Definitely not expected, but I'm going to try to do everything I can to help the team and soak in as much as I can of this experience."

"I've watched the Olympics since I can remember," Collier said. "So, to think that one day I would be on that team, it's just been a dream. I've been doing USA since 2013, and even before that all I could think about is that making the Olympics is obviously a huge goal. So, to say that I'm here, it's crazy."

“Each one, I feel like it's my first one. That's how I treat it,” Taurasi said of what being named to a fifth Olympic team meant. “I go in there with this naivety of enjoying every single moment, competing in every single game like it's my last one.

“I think when you are heading to an event like the Olympics and you're representing your country's best, it's not hard to be motivated, to want to get there,” Bird said. “That part never changes. I think for athletes, some of the other stuff that goes around that is what makes it a little harder to stay motivated, but I don't think the motivation ever really changes. It hasn't for me.

"It's just an honor," she (Charles) said. "It's a blessing to be able to represent your country in this way of doing something that you love to do, with a passion that you have. More so not for us, but just for the generations that are coming after us."

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised at the selection of Atkins but not because her numbers aren't good. She's been fantastic in the WNBA. I do think Nneka should have been on the team over her even though the positions are different. EDD being left out isn't huge shock given she wouldn't have been ready. DT has earned the right to go out on her terms so if she wants to play and can move she should get the chance. Glad Collier and Loyd are on the team, both have been excellent pros (although there was no doubt from me on that).

I still think the 16 roster should have included at least one young guard because it's obvious this squad is one of transition with 6 first time Olympians. This team is more than talented enough to win the Gold. Hopefully the win streak by the USA keeps going.

Reaction Score
I was a little unsure about Diana given her injury, but yeah 5 of 12 sure is impressive.
Reminds me of Larry Bird's last Olympics. Bad back but you still had to pick him. Got to have Diana on team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Larry Bird's last Olympics. Bad back but you still had to pick him. Got to have Diana on team.
It was also Larry Bird’s first Olympics. But I agree his back was pretty dead by then.

I think it is a different deal with Diana since her sternum is probably healed and she’s about to be medically cleared for play. It isn’t an ongoing problem.

Reaction Score
I love Nneka and hoped she'd make the team for a multitude of reasons, but understand why she didn't. She didn't play well last season, is currently injured and isn't at the same level she was in 2016. Collier as of the last year or so has shown to be a better player and Charles is having a great season so I dont have a problem with them getting spots over Nneka. Her getting snubbed doesn't compared to Parker getting snubbed in 2016, apples and oranges.
Can anyone provide an answer as to how/why was she left off the team in 2016? She was playing great that year. It's the only year I can understand there possibly where someone could gripe about it.

When you look at the depth of talent in US basketball, there's no way anyone is going to be happy with the team that is selected. There will always be periods of time where the alumni of a specific program will dominate. I don't know how the committee will be able to get around that.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Dawn was asked specifically about Nneka (or at least was quoted talking about her in ESPN story). I expect those questions to continue. For a number of reasons, this is very different than Parker in 2016 (when Parker was arguably one of the top 3 players in the world).

I both understand why Nneka was not selected and agree it stinks. I’m a huge fan of Atkins (and she fills a need for the team as a terrific 3 point shooter and perimeter defender), but would have been fine if she’d been passed over for Nneka.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Can anyone provide an answer as to how/why was she left off the team in 2016? She was playing great that year. It's the only year I can understand there possibly where someone could gripe about it.

When you look at the depth of talent in US basketball, there's no way anyone is going to be happy with the team that is selected. There will always be periods of time where the alumni of a specific program will dominate. I don't know how the committee will be able to get around that.
Nneka had had terrific years in the league, but her true breakout was 2016, after team was announced. It was much more controversial at time that Parker was left off.

that team had much fewer traditional posts (just Griner, Charles, Fowles) with EDD and Stewart as stretch 4s (and Catchings who could defend 1-4). There were true wings on that team in Maya and Angel too and Catchings too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Morning After Thoughts:

- There is a lot of chatter about whether the injuries/recoveries of Nneka Ogwumike and Diana Taurasi were judged by the same standard. As a former communicator who worked all angles of this professionally, you could've seen this one coming and had a straight answer.
This is what I found (only about Nneka):

“Breaks my heart that Nneka isn’t on this team,” Dawn Staley said, per the San Jose Mercury News. “Having to make a decision today, if we had to make a decision a month from now, I’m sure she’d be healthy. This was one of the things she wanted to do.”

So, what's the case with DT? Like Nneka, she's still not playing (although there is a report she may on Sunday)? Or were there other factors at play, such as team fit, etc?

- Personally, I think if DT is healthy, she's a no-brainer for this team. Her skill set, experience, attitude is nothing short of invaluable. She now is on the same Hoops IQ wavelength with both Bird and Skylar Diggins-Smith, which is another plus.

- Besides (perhaps) her injury, Nneka may have been a victim of multiple bigs in the paint. Still, she's an absolute quality player who has been a willing and able contributor over the years.

- With EDD out, Collier brings some agile length and ability to strike from outside. She also can guard quick forwards, which shouldn't be discounted.

- If the committee pulled directly from the pool (only), I'll bet there was plenty of discussion about the slot that eventually went to Atkins. I could've bought arguments on everyone from Hayes and Copper to Arike (who has reported for duty when called). I'll bet we'll see those names underconsideration the next World Cup in 2022.

- There are six new Olympians on this squad, but not all of them are young. The 2022 WC will give the committee a chance to start giving chances to other young pro's and possibly some collegians.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I posted elsewhere that I thought Nneka absolutely deserved to be on the 2016 team. She played very well for USA at the 2014 World Cup in Istanbul and was at the top of her game in the WNBA. Why was she left off the 2016 team? My theory is that the Selection Committee didn’t want to leave both Parker and Catchings off the 2016 team and Catchings was taken over Nneka. There were some off-the-record reports that Geno wanted Nneka on the 2016 team.

This time around it’s a little different. Nneka was not as effective at the 2018 World Cup in Tenerife. She has also dealt with injuries the past 2 seasons. Guessing it came down to Nneka vs Napheesa. Tough call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We are talking about this moment in time with Olympics in 4 weeks and a bad knee. We don't need someone on the team who will be limited by not having played in over a month. She wouldn't be in basketball shape either. CP stated on TV the other day she isn't in basketball shape, even though she has done extra cardio. She said the only way to get back is to play.
We don't have time for that with Nneka.

Reaction Score
I posted elsewhere that I thought Nneka absolutely deserved to be on the 2016 team. She played very well for USA at the 2014 World Cup in Istanbul and was at the top of her game in the WNBA. Why was she left off the 2016? My theory is that the Selection Committee didn’t want to leave both Parker and Catchings off the 2016 team and Catchings was taken over Nneka. There were some off-the-record reports that Geno wanted Nneka on the 2016 team.

This time around it’s a little different. Nneka was not as effective at the 2018 World Cup in Tenerife. She has also dealt with injuries the past 2 seasons. Guessing it came down to Nneka vs Napheesa. Tough call.
Thank you. I thought I was missing something in reading some of the comments.

I don't think it's a little different, it's entirely different. While she has a list of accomplishments that definitely put her into Olympic team consideration, the current situation regarding play and performance takes priority.

Like I was saying to a friend, I don't know who you take off to put Nneka in this time around. Even if all things were equal and she's healthy, it's a deep pool of talent at forward. You wonder why players try to leverage citizenship in other countries to compete. This is the prime example.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If only Maya Moore was playing…
I miss Maya too. The longer she stays away, the less likely she returns. I understand she must do whatever she feels is her calling at this time, whatever it is. We all love and respect Maya too much not to support her where ever life takes her. :)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm going to make this short and sweet. USA basketball has to change the way the olympic team is selected. There are so many great players in the WNBA, and some will never get a chance to make this team because of politics. I know I will really get burned by this, but as much as I love DT and Sue, IMHO they should not be on the roster. Not because they aren't good enough, but because they are taking spots from other deserving younger players. The USA committee should limit the number of appearances to 3, and open it up for more players. The talent the WNBA has will guarantee the gold metal every year as it is, but it is outrageous that someone is playing in the olympics for 20 years. Lets open this up for more people, people that may be actually more talented than some of the players that have been chosen.

Reaction Score
I miss Maya too. The longer she stays away, the less likely she returns. I understand she must do whatever she feels is her calling at this time, whatever it is. We all love and respect Maya too much not to support her where ever life takes her. :)
I don't think she's ever coming back. What would be the point? She'll be in her mid-30s when next season starts, so realistically how many more seasons could she play, and would she want to go through the grind to get back to the level of just being able to compete since she'll never again be at the level she was when she stepped away.

Reaction Score
What about Akire Ogunbowale? And I know Nneka is a good player but that fact her sister wrote that piece pleading for her to be on the team is sad to me...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Good overall post. I want to address just this last part: I wonder -- in the committee's mindset -- if Napheesa also gave them something to address the absence of EDD; namely, the ability to score from mid-range and out towards the line. I'm a huge fan of Nneka, but she's (primarily) a paint player to me.

Also, Phee is agile on defense and can cover stretch 4's and paint monsters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom