Olympic Team Announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
Guards Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi have been named to the U.S. women's basketball Olympic team for the fifth time, while there are six first-time Olympians on the squad.

5 times is in a 20 years span. This is amazing ~~
Faulty math . . . 5 times should be a 16 year gap, but with last year's postponement, it's 17.
2004 (Athens)---2008 (Beijing)---2012 (London)---2016 (Rio)---2021 (Tokyo)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The obvious "snub" is Nneka and the obvious surprise is Atkins.

Nneka joins Candace as the latest casualty of the great power forward glut.

Atkins fills a role as a true wing player on a team with a lot of point/combo guards (Bird, Taurasi, SDS, Gray).
What is the difference between a wing and a combo guard? Real question.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
To me a combo guard is a 1/2. A wing is a 2/3.

Atkins slots nicely as a 3. Otherwise your options there are Loyd who is more of a 2 and hybrids like Stewart (who can play 3-5) and Collier (a 3/4).

Edit: I stand corrected. See subsequent posts that reveal Atkins is smaller than I had thought.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Real (attempt) at an answer:

• A combo guard generally refers to a guard that can comfortably be both a point/lead guard (1) and a shooting/off guard (2). Orangutan duly noted that Diana T., S D-S, Gray all can comfortably fill both these roles.
  • For old(er) guys like me, the wing (3) was a small forward. Now that teams are going to more three-guard sets, it could be the taller guard, who can hit the boards, drive, help out inside. I think Jewell Loyd is actually the wing/off-guard (3-2) combo on this team. (Atkins is 5'8").

What messes this up a bit these days is you have a few players that can slide into multiple roles. Looking at my alma mater, Marina Mabrey and Jackie Young are wings that can take over lead roles for a bit, as well as fill the shooting guard role.

My guess is you'll see a lot of sets with two bigs and three of these guards on the floor.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Like @Orangutan, I can't imagine the four people on this qualifying team (that you posted) not going to Tokyo at this point. However, they're still labeled as the "qualifying team" (as opposed to the team, like the 5x5 is now). My gut is they'll let the 5x5 get some air time, then announce the 3x3.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
  • The wing (3) was for old guys like me was a small forward. Now that teams are going to more three-guard sets, it could be the taller guard, who can hit the boards, drive, help out inside. I think Jewell Loyd is actually the wing/off-guard (3-2) combo on this team. (Atkins is 5'8").
My guess is you'll see a lot of sets with two bigs and three of these guards on the floor.

I would have sworn that Atkins was at least 5'10. At 5'8 she is more suited to the 2 for sure.

Still a different skill set than the other guards. Gives you a "3 and D" option as opposed to the others who are accustomed to having the ball in their hands a lot.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well deserved congrats to everyone. And congrats to the rest of the team!

Side note - if the 3x3 team holds, UCONN will have 7 women's basketball representatives in the Olympics - adding in Dolson and Samuelson.

EDD and Nneka being injured opened up 2 spots. I am sure a health EDD wold have replaced Atikins. I wonder who they would have chosen had Nneka been healthy... Would have been interesting for sure. Also will be curious about the future - if/when EDD becomes healthy again, do they then remove Atkins? What about Nneka?

Atkins seems like an easy choice. But choosing between Phee and Nneka - much harder. Certainly a glut at the PF position. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Sabrina - she's back from her injury but was not in the pool this time around...

Reaction Score
No EDD... guess she's still recovering from injury/surgery...
Only my opinion, but it seems like she is ALWAYS recovering from something. Me thinks she has long had a problem with commitment. Nor making a joke here about her UConn tenure, that is only one example. Also, not discounting her Lyme disease issue. She had, and still has, potent talent on the floor. I would have loved to see her play as a full-time player. I better stop here.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion, but it seems like she is ALWAYS recovering from something. Me thinks she has long had a problem with commitment. Nor making a joke here about her UConn tenure, that is only one example. Also, not discounting her Lyme disease issue. She had, and still has, potent talent on the floor. I would have loved to see her play as a full-time player. I better stop here.
EDD?...Early Departure Disease?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Nneka screwed again. Insanity. Too many guards and her omission inconsistent with their preferences of involvement plus skill, and at least one other person selected is currently injured so inconsistent application of that aspect.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mostly she has a long time problem with her back and with Lyme.

She's played full-time enough to twice win WNBA MVP so I don't understand the "would have loved" phrasing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well deserved congrats to everyone. And congrats to the rest of the team!

Side note - if the 3x3 team holds, UCONN will have 7 women's basketball representatives in the Olympics - adding in Dolson and Samuelson.

EDD and Nneka being injured opened up 2 spots. I am sure a health EDD wold have replaced Atikins. I wonder who they would have chosen had Nneka been healthy... Would have been interesting for sure. Also will be curious about the future - if/when EDD becomes healthy again, do they then remove Atkins? What about Nneka?

Atkins seems like an easy choice. But choosing between Phee and Nneka - much harder. Certainly a glut at the PF position. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Sabrina - she's back from her injury but was not in the pool this time around...

I don't think Nneka's injury was bad enough to preclude selection. Based on her social media post, Chiney certainly didn't think so.

Reaction Score
She's played full-time enough to twice win WNBA MVP so I don't understand the "would have loved" phrasing.
I think he meant just overall less injuries/ less missed time. Though she did play in 85% of her possible reg season games from 15-19.

Just now though - last two years back to nothing so far. She's such a great talent. Not blaming her one bit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't think Nneka's injury was bad enough to preclude selection. Based on her social media post, Chiney certainly didn't think so.
Well that certainly absolves Geno from all the accusations of favoritism during the last Olympics 5 years ago. Some fans, especially Tenn fans, went ballistic. (this is not directed at you)...

We all knew that it was NOT the head coach who chose the team, but rather the committee - which the HC sits on. Yet this time around, it was Nneka who was left off in favor of Pheesa (it appears). Yet they can't blame putting a 5th UCONN player on the roster on Geno.

Still congrats to everyone. Side note - not sure how Nneka was "screwed" as voiced by one poster. Were any of the terrific players in the pool who did not make the team "screwed"? I just don't get the "Nneka got screwed" sentiment. How exactly was she screwed? Is Pheesa a bad choice for the team? Is Phee not deserving? Did she not earn her way onto the team with her outstanding play and team mentality?

Reaction Score
Ionescu will be there for sure next time. Amazing talent.
This is the biggest surprise to me. WOW! But I suppose that it would have been either Sue or De being dropped for Sabrina. Maybe Sabrina and Nneka are alternates. Are there alternates?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom