Olympic Team Announced | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
The others are Ariel Atkins, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Sylvia Fowles, Chelsea Gray, Brittney Griner, Jewell Lloyd and A’ja Wilson.
Any surprises for you with this roster?

Reaction Score
No EDD... guess she's still recovering from injury/surgery. Yes, Atkins was a surprise! Weird to see some changing of the guard - no whalen or augustus, so diggins and gray are there now. Looking forward to watching the games!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The others are Ariel Atkins, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Sylvia Fowles, Chelsea Gray, Brittney Griner, Jewell Lloyd and A’ja Wilson.
Any surprises for you with this roster?

Not really any surprises to me. Atkins has been playing her way into "yeah, she can help this team" talk throughout the season. Good for her.

As a Domer, I'm happy to see both Sky and Jewell make the team.

I guess my only question is: will Diana be ready? Let's knock on wood.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Griner wasn't very impressive in the games I've seen her. Has she been better lately?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was a little unsure about Diana given her injury, but yeah 5 of 12 sure is impressive.

Reaction Score
Griner wasn't very impressive in the games I've seen her. Has she been better lately?
[/QUOTE
Skylar and Griner have been the only thing keeping Phoenix afloat.

Reaction Score
Guards Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi have been named to the U.S. women's basketball Olympic team for the fifth time, while there are six first-time Olympians on the squad.

5 times is in a 20 years span. This is amazing ~~

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn with 5 out of 12 on the team. Well done Sue, Dee, Tina, Stewie and Phee.
With the amount of "ELITE" talent the US will take to Tokyo, there's no way they come back with anything other than gold. IMHO, all of the other countries in this year's field are playing for second place. The envelopes say that once again, the USA goes undefeated during this year's games. No other country can match the amount of talent (and veteran leadership) up and down the roster that the US has. ;) The players will listen to Dawn. They will also listen to Sue and Dee, as they are the two most respected veteran players on the team. Call them "E.F. Hutton". Sue and Dee will lead by example!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's hard to leave a 6'8" person off. Even if just for protection against other teams. You want to have as many different 'looks' as possible in case another team plays bonkers.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
UConn Blog article

Shame on the writer for the following:
"... while Stewart will head to her second as one of the first names on the roster after being a surprise, controversial choice in 2016 when then-USA head coach Geno Auriemma took her over Candace Parker."

Why yes, let's perpetuate the incorrect fact that Geno picked the team. It was the USAWBB committee.

Bad journalism.

Reaction Score
UConn with 5 out of 12 on the team. Well done Sue, Dee, Tina, Stewie and Phee.

Great starting five! Hopefully we will see all of them on the court at the same time, at least. Come On Dawn, Make it Happen!

Tina and Stewie: currently #1 and #3 in WNBA scoring average for this season.
Sue: #4 in assists
Phee - all around glue and defense.
Dee - catalyst and clutch

Reaction Score
UConn Blog article

Shame on the writer for the following:
"... while Stewart will head to her second as one of the first names on the roster after being a surprise, controversial choice in 2016 when then-USA head coach Geno Auriemma took her over Candace Parker."

Why yes, let's perpetuate the incorrect fact that Geno picked the team. It was the USAWBB committee.

Bad journalism.
Also there was no way Stewie wasnt making the 16 team. CP's absence freed up space for someone else.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The obvious "snub" is Nneka and the obvious surprise is Atkins.

Nneka joins Candace as the latest casualty of the great power forward glut.

Atkins fills a role as a true wing player on a team with a lot of point/combo guards (Bird, Taurasi, SDS, Gray).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom