Olympic Team Announced | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion: Diana & Sue should let someone else have those spots

I could maybe see this argument for Dee as she hasn't played, but Sue is top 4 in the WNBA in assists and has the best assist to turnover ratio. You also can't discount the experience and on court coaching she brings to the game. She has earned this spot.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Well that certainly absolves Geno from all the accusations of favoritism during the last Olympics 5 years ago. Some fans, especially Tenn fans, went ballistic. (this is not directed at you)...

We all knew that it was NOT the head coach who chose the team, but rather the committee - which the HC sits on. Yet this time around, it was Nneka who was left off in favor of Pheesa (it appears). Yet they can't blame putting a 5th UCONN player on the roster on Geno.

Still congrats to everyone. Side note - not sure how Nneka was "screwed" as voiced by one poster. Were any of the terrific players in the pool who did not make the team "screwed"? I just don't get the "Nneka got screwed" sentiment. How exactly was she screwed? Is Pheesa a bad choice for the team? Is Phee not deserving? Did she not earn her way onto the team with her outstanding play and team mentality?
feel free to look at Chiney Ogwumike's Twitter listing facts about Nneka. Also if the injury issue were a factor then Taurasi should not have been selected either.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I am ready…This is going to be Stewie coming out Olympic Party…Once she takes over that opens everything else for everyone else…Other teams won’t and can’t defend her…I better order my Jersey now!

Reaction Score
The most interesting thing to me is with all the available talent, they did not a pick a true natural SF. I don't think it will be a problem because Pheesa (a 3/4) and Atkins (2/3) can play there depending on what is needed. With more star power at the bigs, Dawn may not be so worried about rebounds or interior defense, and just go with a three guard lineup with lots of three point threats. No matter what combination of players she uses at the 4 and 5, with Stewart, Wilson, Griner, Fowles and Charles, any pair should be dominant against their competition.

Reaction Score
I wonder whether some choices were made of players who are teammates and therefore can more quickly work in synch with each other. The team has very little time to prepare and familiarity would be an advantage.

Seattle: Sue, Breanna, Jewell
Washington: Tina, Ariel
Phoenix: Diana, Skylar, Brittney
Minnesota: Sylvia, Napheesa
Las Vegas: Aja, Chelsea

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This is the biggest surprise to me. WOW! But I suppose that it would have been either Sue or De being dropped for Sabrina. Maybe Sabrina and Nneka are alternates. Are there alternates?
I believe the 3 x 3 official team, and possible alternates for 5 x 5 will be announced on Wed/Thur this week.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
feel free to look at Chiney Ogwumike's Twitter listing facts about Nneka. Also if the injury issue were a factor then Taurasi should not have been selected either.
Some problems with this response:

1. While some may do as you suggest to look at C. Ogwumike’s Twitter, it is not our responsibility to do so, nor do I consider Twitter a good source for empirical reference, nor do I have a desire to use Twitter. In this case I suspect what is on that Twitter feed are several stats like efficiency or win shares that demonstrate NO’s worth, and it may indeed be the case that her worth surpasses Taurasi’s, but “go look it up” is a tactic used by many who gamble that will not happen. I don’t think that is the case here, but if you are passionate and certain enough about your case reliance on “go look it up” actually undermines it.

2. Your reply was in response to a claim that Auriemma can be absolved from bias. You are probably not addressing that at all, but certainly NO deserving to be on the team does not implicate Auriemma for keeping her off.

3. Taurasi has a small sternum fracture that she played with for a couple games before she was shut down for at least four weeks. That minimum of four weeks for a playable injury happens to be up today, the day of the announcement. NO has an injury that cannot be played on and it’s earliest rehabilitation is projected to be the very end of June, and could be as late as mid-July. The two injuries are not analogous at all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great starting five! Hopefully we will see all of them on the court at the same time, at least. Come On Dawn, Make it Happen!

Tina and Stewie: currently #1 and #3 in WNBA scoring average for this season.
Sue: #4 in assists
Phee - all around glue and defense.
Dee - catalyst and clutch
THAT would be something to see. ;)

Reaction Score
Some problems with this response:

1. While some may do as you suggest to look at C. Ogwumike’s Twitter, it is not our responsibility to do so, nor do I consider Twitter a good source for empirical reference, nor do I have a desire to use Twitter. In this case I suspect what is on that Twitter feed are several stats like efficiency or win shares that demonstrate NO’s worth, and it may indeed be the case that her worth surpasses Taurasi’s, but “go look it up” is a tactic used by many who gamble that will not happen. I don’t think that is the case here, but if you are passionate and certain enough about your case reliance on “go look it up” actually undermines it.

2. Your reply was in response to a claim that Auriemma can be absolved from bias. You are probably not addressing that at all, but certainly NO deserving to be on the team does not implicate Auriemma for keeping her off.

3. Taurasi has a small sternum fracture that she played with for a couple games before she was shut down for at least four weeks. That minimum of four weeks for a playable injury happens to be up today, the day of the announcement. NO has an injury that cannot be played on and it’s earliest rehabilitation is projected to be the very end of June, and could be as late as mid-July. The two injuries are not analogous at all.

Response to Point 2. Auriemma is listed as a special advisor for the committee that selected the team. Unfortunately, people are still going to have a perception of bias if it fits the narrative they want it to be. It's already being bandied about on Twitter and other social media feeds as we speak.

No matter who gets selected for the Team USA, there will always be people who aren't happy with the selection. That's the gift and curse of having such a deep pool of talent to pick from.

Response to Point 3. If I recall what I've read correctly, Taurasi believes she'll be ready to play as of this week. Nneka is possible 1 - 2 weeks away, making it possibly mid-July before Team USA knows if she's good to go. That's a really tight timeline and with the injury being knee related, a hard call to make when you want everyone as healthy as possible.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion, but it seems like she is ALWAYS recovering from something. Me thinks she has long had a problem with commitment. Nor making a joke here about her UConn tenure, that is only one example. Also, not discounting her Lyme disease issue. She had, and still has, potent talent on the floor. I would have loved to see her play as a full-time player. I better stop here.

How can she have a problem with commitment when you're acknowledging her Lyme disease in a following sentence? She was kept out of the bubble for COVID protocols last season and I don't believe it was entirely her choice (memory is vague on that one). She's also recovering from back surgery and hasn't played a game yet this season. I don't see how that comment can be made in this case.

Reaction Score
Well deserved congrats to everyone. And congrats to the rest of the team!

Side note - if the 3x3 team holds, UCONN will have 7 women's basketball representatives in the Olympics - adding in Dolson and Samuelson.

EDD and Nneka being injured opened up 2 spots. I am sure a health EDD wold have replaced Atikins. I wonder who they would have chosen had Nneka been healthy... Would have been interesting for sure. Also will be curious about the future - if/when EDD becomes healthy again, do they then remove Atkins? What about Nneka?

Atkins seems like an easy choice. But choosing between Phee and Nneka - much harder. Certainly a glut at the PF position. It will also be interesting to see what happens with Sabrina - she's back from her injury but was not in the pool this time around...
Sabrina came off the bench in the last Liberty game and has not been at all impressive this season. She will need to step up big time to be considered for the Olympic Team in 2024.

Reaction Score
Response to Point 2. Auriemma is listed as a special advisor for the committee that selected the team. Unfortunately, people are still going to have a perception of bias if it fits the narrative they want it to be. It's already being bandied about on Twitter and other social media feeds as we speak.

No matter who gets selected for the Team USA, there will always be people who aren't happy with the selection. That's the gift and curse of having such a deep pool of talent to pick from.

Response to Point 3. If I recall what I've read correctly, Taurasi believes she'll be ready to play as of this week. Nneka is possible 1 - 2 weeks away, making it possibly mid-July before Team USA knows if she's good to go. That's a really tight timeline and with the injury being knee related, a hard call to make when you want everyone as healthy as possible.
Nneka with a knee injury, which she expects at least 2 more weeks before she can play isn't an option. Bang her knee one time and you're down to 11 players.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion: Diana & Sue should let someone else have those spots
Why? Dee and Sue are still among the best at their positions in the world, never mind the country. It's not that it's an unpopular opinion, it's like saying "Stewie already made a few teams. She should give someone else a chance". The people who are on the team are either among the best at their positions in the USA, and/or such consummate team players that make everyone around them better that they HAD to be on the team.

Some of the new blood found its' way onto the team in people like Atkins, Collier, Diggins, Grey, and on the 3x3, all 4 players of Dolson, Samuelson, Gray, and Plum.

Sue and Dee are not only among the best still at their positions, but both are likely starters for Team USA. Not that you mentioned Catch, but Tamika Catching was probably the last person to make the team, in that year probably beating out Parker, and she was the last person off the bench on the 12 player team. That won't be the case with Sue and Dee.

No Sabrina? Thought she was the next great thing.....
She wasn't in the pool this time around. I agree she will likely be next year for the 2022 World Championships. I will be very curious if the start including Paige and Caitlyn Clark in the pool as early as next year. I know they like to include college players

As a total side note, I was never a fan of Skyler, but I happened to catch an interview with her after a recent game and came away impressed. Much more of a team player than I thought (mentality wise) and really high B.B.I.Q. Very aware of what the team was doing/needed, and also had some spot on comments regarding what has changed since Dee's injury.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that two players missing from this team are Angel and Augustus both of who filled that 3/wing position on the team, and they really weren't replaced. Of those two, Angel is probably going to be missed the most as she was 'instant energy' off the bench and was a swiss army knife in what she brought game to game. It is odd that there really isn't that 'wing', 'small forward', '3' player on this team Collier and Stewart can fill in from the '4' and I suppose any of the non-Sue guards can as well. It is also sort of a 'lost' position in the modern game - players either bulk up and try to be classified a '4' or work on their handle and try to be classified a '2'.

On the team selection - Sabrina got a bit screwed up with her injury that kept her out of the pool last year but suspect she will be front and center for the next worlds when I assume Bird and DT will bow out. The team is certainly heavy at the 4/5 with a ton of talent, and lots waiting in the wing as well. Sorry for Nneka, but don't have a problem with those selected.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sabrina came off the bench in the last Liberty game and has not been at all impressive this season. She will need to step up big time to be considered for the Olympic Team in 2024.
She continues to struggle with her ankle that she hurt last year. She is limited to 20 minutes a game at the present time and I noticed a couple times where she brought the ball up, did a nifty pass and found a place to "camp" while others ball-handled. According to the announcers, she started off gang-busters before her injury this season, which is the same ankle that required surgery after injury last year.

Reaction Score
Why? Dee and Sue are still among the best at their positions in the world, never mind the country. It's not that it's an unpopular opinion, it's like saying "Stewie already made a few teams. She should give someone else a chance". The people who are on the team are either among the best at their positions in the USA, and/or such consummate team players that make everyone around them better that they HAD to be on the team.

Some of the new blood found its' way onto the team in people like Atkins, Collier, Diggins, Grey, and on the 3x3, all 4 players of Dolson, Samuelson, Gray, and Plum.

Sue and Dee are not only among the best still at their positions, but both are likely starters for Team USA. Not that you mentioned Catch, but Tamika Catching was probably the last person to make the team, in that year probably beating out Parker, and she was the last person off the bench on the 12 player team. That won't be the case with Sue and Dee.

She wasn't in the pool this time around. I agree she will likely be next year for the 2022 World Championships. I will be very curious if the start including Paige and Caitlyn Clark in the pool as early as next year. I know they like to include college players

As a total side note, I was never a fan of Skyler, but I happened to catch an interview with her after a recent game and came away impressed. Much more of a team player than I thought (mentality wise) and really high BBQ. Very aware of what the team was doing/needed, and also had some spot on comments regarding what has changed since Dee's injury.
Anybody who puts out good BBQ can be on my team anytime. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anybody who puts out good BBQ can be on my team anytime. ;)
For the record, I typed in the letters B B I Q, but all in a row with no spaces, and the system changed the spelling to BBQ. I went in and edited it putting "periods" between each letter and it worked. Sheesh LOL

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How can she have a problem with commitment when you're acknowledging her Lyme disease in a following sentence? She was kept out of the bubble for COVID protocols last season and I don't believe it was entirely her choice (memory is vague on that one). She's also recovering from back surgery and hasn't played a game yet this season. I don't see how that comment can be made in this case.
I believe she opted to sit out due to her fear of covid while having Lyme disease. WNBA wasn't going to pay her to sit out due to it not being a high risk disease based on CDC protocol at the time, she wrote a blog upset about it and the WNBA shelled out for her.

EDD is a fantastic talent but I agree with the OP that she rarely seems fully on board with basketball. I'm not sure if she's just more fragile physically or if she isn't as willing to play through injuries as other players, but compared to the other players of her caliber (ex. Parker, Taurasi, Bird, Stewart, etc.) she's never seemed to have the same consistent drive or love of the game that the others show.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I love Nneka and hoped she'd make the team for a multitude of reasons, but understand why she didn't. She didn't play well last season, is currently injured and isn't at the same level she was in 2016. Collier as of the last year or so has shown to be a better player and Charles is having a great season so I dont have a problem with them getting spots over Nneka. Her getting snubbed doesn't compared to Parker getting snubbed in 2016, apples and oranges.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom