Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The only party getting screwed is UConn. Ollie screwed UConn out of the six million itbpaid him the last two years to be an an utter incompetent. He ought to pay that back let along be paid anymore.
The state of Connecticut has not been very good negotiating contracts for a long time hence some reason for the financial problems they have

Reaction Score
they not only think it, they want him to be vindicated. it's unreal.

Stop putting words in peoples mouth.

Do you have any idea what KO rights are here and why wouldn't anyone right or wrong use those options to leave with more than $0 when you feel you are owed $10 mil

Answer that sensibly without your garbage conjecture

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The only party getting screwed is UConn. Ollie screwed UConn out of the six million itbpaid him the last two years to be an an utter incompetent. He ought to pay that back let along be paid anymore.

While that's cute and will probably get likes, it's silly. He got paid that money because UConn bet on him to bring more national championships and didn't want him to leave at the time of the contract. Nobody screwed anybody out of anything.

Our national championship just happened to be expensive. But we at least can say we got one out of it...

Reaction Score
The way it was described though is that it’s actually rather uncommon for basketball coaches to be part of a faculty union.

How prolific / large is the AAUP? Their Wiki page isn’t exactly clear on that.

Seems to be common for state employees/coaches. Other states don't operate the same

Reaction Score
As head coach he is responsible for everything that goes on in the program. He is in big time denial.

Denying what exactly. Denying that rules were broken, or that he is responsible.

Reaction Score
While that's cute and will probably get likes, it's silly. He got paid that money because UConn bet on him to bring more national championships and didn't want him to leave at the time of the contract. Nobody screwed anybody out of anything.

Our national championship just happened to be expensive. But we at least can say we got one out of it...

it was worth every penny!!

Reaction Score
I personally think KO is a great guy and appreciate the good he did for the program. But some of you guys treat him like he’s . It’s insane. He pooped the bed in the couple of areas, doesn’t make him evil but it’s reality.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wow, real indepth.... I have been employed nonstop since I recovered from my illness in 2011.

Why would you even say such a (snarky) thing?? I really do not get what you have to gain from being like that.

I also said I am not outraged, I get that he will fight for it. I also get that people will be mad at him.

Yes, yes I am employed.
It’s the internet. Anyone can come on here and claim to be employed.

Reaction Score
Let him have his hearing then the university should sue him for revenue lost since he's been head coach plus whatever this NCAA investigation is going to cost the university. He was hired to continue a level of profitability, integrity and tradition that UConn has grown accustomed to and expects as the norm. He obviously has failed to maintain ticket sales, post season revenue and has presided over the program during a period of NCAA scrutiny. Ollie should just go away and thank his lucky stars he got paid for the 2017-18 season instead of getting the boot last year. Kevin Ollie was a good player for UConn. He bounced around the NBA for a number of seasons and then landed as a assistant coach during Jim Calhoun's final seasons. He may have been a good assistant, and good position coach but has not shown that he can manage a program.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I personally think KO is a great guy and appreciate the good he did for the program. But some of you guys treat him like he’s . It’s insane. He pooped the bed in the couple of areas, doesn’t make him evil but it’s reality.

Nobody in this thread to the best of my knowledge is arguing against the firing. You and a couple of others are creating a strawman. Some of us are simply stating that if we were fired due to accusations that we didn't believe were true, as Ollie's statements clearly indicate, that we would fight tooth and nail for contractual obligations to be met. No more, no less.

Anything else being argued here about love fests with Ollie is just white noise...

Reaction Score
Exactly. Dude is owed TEN MILLION DOLLARS. He was offered ZERO DOLLARS. He is pursuing action so that he leaves with X MILLION more dollars than zero.

Anyone in this thread who wouldn't do the same is either of the cloth or delusional.
You don't know what they offered him; you don't know how this transpired. They could have likely offered him a deal somewhat less than 10 million (with the threat of firing him for cause hanging over him), he refused, they came at loggerheads, and they then fired him---perhaps as a negotiating ploy to get him to accept a more palatable sum from the university.

Reaction Score
The school is paying attorneys.

They had to know this was going to happen and they must be pretty confident in the legal strategy.

Sometimes I think people think that things like this just happen, like Bennidct and Herbts met for coffee on Friday morning and decided to just do this.

Not how things work.

Reaction Score
Let him have his hearing then the university should sue him for revenue lost since he's been head coach plus whatever this NCAA investigation is going to cost the university. He was hired to continue a level of profitability, integrity and tradition that UConn has grown accustomed to and expects as the norm. He obviously has failed to maintain ticket sales, post season revenue and has presided over the program during a period of NCAA scrutiny. Ollie should just go away and thank his lucky stars he got paid for the 2017-18 season instead of getting the boot last year. Kevin Ollie was a good player for UConn. He bounced around the NBA for a number of seasons and then landed as a assistant coach during Jim Calhoun's final seasons. He may have been a good assistant, and good position coach but has not shown that he can manage a program.

That would be the perfect solution if you wanted to end the program completely, as the lawsuit would be frivolous.
And the chances of a decent coach ever considering the university of ct would be zero.

Reaction Score

Interesting point about presiding over a program under NCAA scrutiny considering he inherited a program under sanctions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So when he fails in the initial hearing, fails in his appeal to Herbst, he can still go to arbitration...

"If that fails, his case could go to arbitration, and an arbitrator could decide to reduce the termination to a lesser penalty."

Good Lord

He's gonna remain head coach
No, he won't. This is about money, nothing more.

Reaction Score

They had to know this was going to happen and they must be pretty confident in the legal strategy.

Sometimes I think people think that things like these just happen, like Bennidct and Herbts met for coffee on Friday morning and decided to just do this.

Not how things work.

I've been pretty wait and see on Benedict. I don't think the guy left twitter and went underground for no reason. I bet he's been busy because he certainly looked like a guy in some of these final games I saw him at that knew this day would have to come.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What happens if he's awarded his 10M but Connecticut doesnt have the money? lol

Reaction Score

Sometimes I think people think that things

Sometimes I think people think that things like these just happen, like Bennidct and Herbts met for coffee on Friday morning and decided to just do this.

Not how things work.

like these just happen, like Bennidct and Herbts met for coffee on Friday morning and decided to just do this.

Not how things work.
This. It is amazing how naive some people on this board are. Every single potential outcome was contemplated by the administration. This response surely comes as no surprise to them. They are not making this up as they go. People need to get a grip on reality here. This is how business works. None of this is a surprise to anyone with half a brain, and this will get settled.

Reaction Score

Sometimes I think people think that things like this just happen, like Bennidct and Herbts met for coffee on Friday morning and decided to just do this.

Not how things work.
Well, unless you're POTUS

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why is KO always the victim with you guys? Y’all jump at every chance to give him the benefit of doubt. He’s not clean here. They have multiple things to hang him on. You think he’s innocent of all?
You are wrong
If KO did do something that would cause the university embarrassment and financial harm - I agree he is 100% wrong and should be led out without so much as a handshake goodbye
I don't know - you don't know what, if anything, he did
I didn't expect him back nor did I want him back but I am not convinced that he deserved to be fired "for just causes"
He didn't produce the last few years, I have my ideas why and others have different ideas
I don't like or agree with the constant character assassinations of him by those who see UConn and it's coaches/players on a mere win/loss basis
I've seen a lot in the past 50 plus years following all UConn sports, times much worse than these, and I have never seen such venom towards one person
Maybe it comes from people not old enough to remember the pre Calhoun era but in any case, KO has given a lot to this school, and yes he is being paid a lot, but in my mind I don't understand the hate.
He's gone

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I've never heard of a college basketball coach being part of a teachers union is this normal?

Reaction Score
Nobody in this thread to the best of my knowledge is arguing against the firing. You and a couple of others are creating a strawman. Some of us are simply stating that if we were fired due to accusations that we didn't believe were true, as Ollie's statements clearly indicate, that we would fight tooth and nail for contractual obligations to be met. No more, no less.

Anything else being argued here about love fests with Ollie is just white noise...
Gtcam just had a whole post proclaiming his innocence and proclaiming how bad the university is going to look for being wrong on this. With absolutely ZERO evidence to support it. All he needed to here was KO cry his innocence. When you defend KO at every turn you back yourself into a corner where you have to continue to defend him, even when he doesn’t need defending. And vice verse ppl that criticize him at every turn back themselves into that same corner. It’s a disease that this world is infected with right now. It’s ok to change your mind when presented with overwhelming evidence. It’s normal for someone to not always be right. I don’t think I can remember a time that you genuinely criticized KO, but you constantly defend him. Maybe you don’t have the information but I’m telling you the KO is innocent hill is not the hill you want to die on

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
McHugh is easy... he’s been retired since December!
You are correct but he still is involved on a consulting basis
I give the guy credit for what he has done with the Chamber of Commerce he built into a huge success and the time he served at UConn on an active basis but new blood and ideas are needed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom