Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
More to the point; if UConn was flush with money right now, we wouldn't be having this discussion anyways. We would have fired him on the basis of our basketball team underperforming, paid him his 10 million, and carried on with the business of finding the best coach we can.

But the AD is broke. This is what needs to happen from both sides to do it, and nobody with a cool head should be surprised...
I understand. But you gotta remember that the University not only has their reputation to defend - Ollie has his own to vindicate. Just let the money aside for a second.

I get that Benedict pulled the Just Cause firing on Ollie to save the money. But Ollie has every right to combat that, protect his selfhood for his own good.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I understand. But you gotta remember that the University not only has a reputation to defend - Ollie has his own to vindicate.

That's exactly what I've been arguing this entire thread; something that anyone here would do. I think you're on the same page as me on this one anyways...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He is going to get his money - no question about it
AD David Benedict and co. rolled the dice and they will lose
KO wasn't coming back, everyone half a brain knew that but trying to get it on the cheap is going to cost money
It's now a matter of principle - KO would not do this if he knew he did something wrong enough to get himself fired beyond performance
This allows me to think that this was all a surprise and the school's AD, Pres, McHugh and BoT did not seek some type of amicable parting solution - something that should have occurred
Time for a complete housecleaning - start with McHugh and Herbst and send DB packing to where he wants to go -the SEC
This has the looks of something ugly and if I'm KO I would stick my nose up at any attempting of appeasement by DB.

Reaction Score
KO wasn't coming back, everyone half a brain knew that but trying to get it on the cheap is going to cost money
It's now a matter of principle - KO would not do this if he knew he did something wrong enough to get himself fired beyond performance
This allows me to think that this was all a surprise and the school's AD, Pres, McHugh and BoT did not seek some type of amicable parting solution - something that should have occurred
Time for a complete housecleaning - start with McHugh and Herbst and send DB packing to where he wants to go -the SEC
This has the looks of something ugly and if I'm KO I would stick my nose up at any attempting of appeasement by DB.
So much is wrong with this post, but I'll just point out that McHugh stepped down last year.

Reaction Score
And it will all be public. Calhoun might be the only viable choice at this point due to $$ and the bad look of the athletic department with how they treat their coaches
is calhoun being our last resort really that bad of a situation to be in

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Of course, we'll lose time, recruits, and future coaching prospects in the process. It would have been better to let him go with the 10 mil and move on... If we only had the money...

Can't we still hire a coach while this process continues?

More to the point; if UConn was flush with money right now, we wouldn't be having this discussion anyways. We would have fired him on the basis of our basketball team underperforming, paid him his 10 million, and carried on with the business of finding the best coach we can.

I don't agree with that. Programs flush with cash all over the country try to get out on technicalities. Florida football fired their coach for cause because he did not report a 'death threat' to the administration. Ended up costing the guy half his buyout.

Imagine that. Get a death threat. Ignore it. Costs you 7mil or so.

Reaction Score
It makes you wonder if they even attempted a negotiated buyout.
Bad look for the University.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Can't we still hire a coach while this process continues?

I don't agree with that. Programs flush with cash all over the country try to get out on technicalities. Florida football fired their coach for cause because he did not report a 'death threat' to the administration. Ended up costing the guy half his buyout.

I think we can still go after another coach, but we would do it with the uncertainty of how much money we can apply to the new coach due to a lack of clarity on how much we still have to pay the old one...

Reaction Score
Benedict probably knew he wouldn't get away with the 'just cause' in the first place. So he just decided to do it anyway and probably force Ollie to meet him in the middle with a good enough number of $ for him to walk away

Reaction Score
C08D8B58-0253-49A2-B805-44DD49D7AB57.gif

Reaction Score
Benedict probably knew he wouldn't get away with the 'just cause' in the first place. So he just decided to do it anyway and probably force Ollie to meet him in the middle with a good enough number of $ for him to walk away

yup, probably spot on

Reaction Score
Coaches are part of the facuty union. Been that way for years. Coaches have faculty status. Very common at other places in which the American Association of University Professors is in place.

The way it was described though is that it’s actually rather uncommon for basketball coaches to be part of a faculty union.

. Per those close to the situation, few college basketball coaches possess union protection.

How prolific / large is the AAUP? Their Wiki page isn’t exactly clear on that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How is that better? If he broke the rules, he broke the rules. You don't get $10mm and a pat on the back for violating a clause in your contract. You get fired without anything. Maybe if he didn't milk the University dry by hanging the NBA over our heads I could feel a little more sympathy for his plight
Hold the NBA over your head? Who the hell are you?
You absolute hypocrite - as you would say, it's business, get over yourself as you bashed Kathy with that mature statement
KO was a hot NBA commodity at that time and who in their right mind wouldn't use that to their advantage
The guy is gone and you just can't stop bashing him on everything
You wouldn't feel sympathy for him if he was on life support right now
If he broke the rules - that's a huge if- something you have no idea about

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not just that.

Let me screw you out of 10 million by claiming you caused violations severe enough to merit termination (good luck on your next job search) and tell us you wouldn't fight tooth and nail to get it back...

The only party getting screwed is UConn. Ollie screwed UConn out of the six million itbpaid him the last two years to be an an utter incompetent. He ought to pay that back let along be paid anymore.

Reaction Score

I agree. The has seemingly turned silly. I can't believe the university thought the best course of action would be a "just cause" termination without first trying to negotiate a reduced buy out. Did ollie reject outright? If he was blindsided by this, I certainly understand his actions. If he's trying to fight for every penny, with ncaa infractions over his head, not smart.

It's turned into a circus

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Arbitration. Lol. Screw that. Put him in front of a jury. There’s a reason he wants arbitration. UConn should not let that happen.
You don't just go to a jury because you want to. Great play by KO. Prove there was cause. It will come down to how much do you want to go away.

Reaction Score
I hope coach KO does the right thing with this whole situation. Wasn't there a meeting recently with coach and the AD? In that meeting, things should have been mentioned about the direction of the program and being let go. Coach should have seen this coming. Do the right thing coach and just embrace the firing and move on. Now if the school is trying to slander you and blame you for these minor NCAA violations, then you have some beef. But if they are firing you because the team is not playing up to the UConn Standards, coach you gotta just deal with the firing and move on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The people who are outraged by this ... do you have adult jobs in the real world?

I do. It’s outrageous that someone in a management position, who makes $3 million a year is in a Union. That is a disgrace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom