Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
Question: why is he afforded union protection that is meant for faculty, professors, etc?

Coaches are part of the facuty union. Been that way for years. Coaches have faculty status. Very common at other places in which the American Association of University Professors is in place.

Reaction Score
I believe that the way this goes down is what most on the BY think; that this process will lead to a financial settlement where Ollie's name is maintained and UConn pays less than 10 million.

Of course, we'll lose time, recruits, and future coaching prospects in the process. It would have been better to let him go with the 10 mil and move on... If we only had the money...

Running for union protection will turn this ugly.
Settlement could have and should have happened behind closed doors.

Reaction Score
Of course, we'll lose time, recruits, and future coaching prospects in the process. It would have been better to let him go with the 10 mil and move on... If we only had the money...

How is that better? If he broke the rules, he broke the rules. You don't get $10mm and a pat on the back for violating a clause in your contract. You get fired without anything. Maybe if he didn't milk the University dry by hanging the NBA over our heads I could feel a little more sympathy for his plight

Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how many UConn "fans" want the University punished and Ollie vindicated. He's not the coach anymore, guys; you can stop worshiping at his altar.

It's amazing how some can't seem to put themselves in Ollies shoes and truthfully admit they would absolutely do everything in their power to get that $10 mil no matter if you think you are right or wrong you let the arbitrators decide because $3 mil is greater than 0

Reaction Score
Pepperdine contracts professor analyzed the contract and concluded that the school has the upper hand. But, I fully expect this to be settled quickly.

Reaction Score
How is that better? If he broke the rules, he broke the rules. You don't get $10mm and a pat on the back for violating a clause in your contract. You get fired without anything. Maybe if he didn't milk the University dry by hanging the NBA over our heads I could feel a little more sympathy for his plight

The employers may have rushed to judgement as the ncaa hasn't said anything or made a decision. Ollie seem pretty adamant he did everything legit

Reaction Score
It's amazing how some can't seem to put themselves in Ollies shoes and truthfully admit they would absolutely do everything in their power to get that $10 mil no matter if you think you are right or wrong you let the arbitrators decide because $3 mil is greater than 0
that has nothing to do with what I said. Talking about how we "screwed him" and that he deserves the money is what's ridiculous from a fan perspective.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The second part of your statement is the reason why you need to cool your jets. Your hatred for the man doesn't change the fact that every person in this board would do the same thing in his shoes...

Reaction Score
Would you simply "settle" for less than what you were owed simply because your boss asked you to???

The entire premise is ridiculous...

If I committed infractions that could possibly result in receiving NOTHING? I might negotiate.

Reaction Score
The second part of your statement is the reason why you need to cool your jets. Your hatred for the man doesn't change the fact that every person in this board would do the same thing in his shoes...
I'm not surprised he's doing it, I'm surprised people think we should pay him $10mm and still want to call themselves UConn fans

Reaction Score
This was 100% expected. The firing for cause was as much a starting position in a reduced buyout as is Ollie contesting it. At this point he doesn't want to be back as much as the administration doesn't want him back. They'll find a spot to settle with the amount depending on how much leverage the school has with the cause finding. No surprise from either side.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If I committed infractions that could possibly result in receiving NOTHING? I might negotiate.

Well, that's the $64 question, isn't it? Did he actually commit infractions that could possibly result in receiving nothing?

That's why I said, "we'll see"...

Reaction Score
Would you simply "settle" for less than what you were owed simply because your boss asked you to???

The entire premise is ridiculous...

It depends what the validity of the cause is.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised he's doing it, I'm surprised people think we should pay him $10mm and still want to call themselves UConn fans

Asked and answered...

Reaction Score
The people who are outraged by this ... do you have adult jobs in the real world?
Yes and outside of cushy CEO jobs with golden parachutes at major corps or coaching gigs it is not customary to get paid for future work you did not complete. But that is what happened, somewhere along the line coaches got a lot of power, maybe even decades ago, not really sure how this trend started though. Likely with some big name school with a surplus of funds and a desire to win quickly with very pro-coach contracts, who knows.

Just the same, to get money even after doing a lousy job is quite, dear I say, crazy! In any other field, that level of ineptitude is a fire-able offense without getting anything, but again, schools lost a lot of power. I would imagine that is what people are pissed about. But yah, I guess if it is in his contract, he should fight for it, just don't be shocked if more people start to despise him.

So yes, I am sure most of us do indeed have real life jobs. Real life jobs with little or even no protection.

Reaction Score
Yes and outside of cushy CEO jobs with golden parachutes at major corps or coaching gigs it is not customary to get paid for future work you did not complete. But that is what happened, somewhere along the line coaches got a lot of power, maybe even decades ago, not really sure how this trend started though. Likely with some big name school with a surplus of funds and a desire to win quickly with very pro-coach contracts, who knows.

Just the same, to get money even after doing a lousy job is quite, dear I say, crazy! In any other field, that level of ineptitude is a fire-able offense without getting anything, but again, schools lost a lot of power. I would imagine that is what people are pissed about. But yah, I guess if it is in his contract, he should fight for it, just don't be shocked if more people start to despise him.

So yes, I am sure most of us do indeed have real life jobs. Real life jobs with little or even no protection.

That sounds like a no.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a no.
Wow, real indepth.... I have been employed nonstop since I recovered from my illness in 2011.

Why would you even say such a (snarky) thing?? I really do not get what you have to gain from being like that.

I also said I am not outraged, I get that he will fight for it. I also get that people will be mad at him.

Yes, yes I am employed.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Everyone relax.
If you were fired from your job for whatever reason, you would do what you can do protect your identity and integrity, and fight for what YOU believe is right.
Let the man be. Ffs.

More to the point; if UConn was flush with money right now, we wouldn't be having this discussion anyways. We would have fired him on the basis of our basketball team underperforming, paid him his 10 million, and carried on with the business of finding the best coach we can.

But the AD is broke. This is what needs to happen from both sides to do it, and nobody with a cool head should be surprised...

Reaction Score
I think the ones outraged don't understand what an arbitration entails. Both sides argue their sides (with some stuff that is downright hurtful to the other party to strengthen their case) then an independent arbitrator/arbitrators make a decision they think is most fair based on the facts and arguments presented

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom