Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
He is going to get his money - no question about it
AD David Benedict and co. rolled the dice and they will lose
KO wasn't coming back, everyone half a brain knew that but trying to get it on the cheap is going to cost money
It's now a matter of principle - KO would not do this if he knew he did something wrong enough to get himself fired beyond performance
This allows me to think that this was all a surprise and the school's AD, Pres, McHugh and BoT did not seek some type of amicable parting solution - something that should have occurred
Time for a complete housecleaning - start with McHugh and Herbst and send DB packing to where he wants to go -the SEC
This has the looks of something ugly and if I'm KO I would stick my nose up at any attempting of appeasement by DB.
You are delusional.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Gtcam just had a whole post proclaiming his innocence and proclaiming how bad the university is going to look for being wrong on this. With absolutely ZERO evidence to support it. All he needed to here was KO cry his innocence. When you defend KO at every turn you back yourself into a corner where you have to continue to defend him, even when he doesn’t need defending. And vice verse ppl that criticize him at every turn back themselves into that same corner. It’s a disease that this world is infected with right now. It’s ok to change your mind when presented with overwhelming evidence. It’s normal for someone to not always be right. I don’t think I can remember a time that you genuinely criticized KO, but you constantly defend him. Maybe you don’t have the information but I’m telling you the KO is innocent hill is not the hill you want to die on

Give it a rest.

If Ollie is guilty of infractions severe enough to merit termination, everyone on this board will say that UConn should "not give a dime back."

Everyone. Even Gtcam, who just stated it as well. Every single UConn fan. Talking about hills to die on makes you sound ridiculous...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While that's cute and will probably get likes, it's silly. He got paid that money because UConn bet on him to bring more national championships and didn't want him to leave at the time of the contract. Nobody screwed anybody out of anything.

Our national championship just happened to be expensive. But we at least can say we got one out of it...

And nobody is screwing him now, which is what I was responding too. I certainly don’t think he has performed like a top ten salary coach, do you? Maybe bottom 10.

This will play out the way it plays out. Ollie will not get all the money. He won’t get zero money. My hope, as a fan of the university, is that he gets as little as possible.

Reaction Score
Gtcam just had a whole post proclaiming his innocence and proclaiming how bad the university is going to look for being wrong on this. With absolutely ZERO evidence to support it. All he needed to here was KO cry his innocence. When you defend KO at every turn you back yourself into a corner where you have to continue to defend him, even when he doesn’t need defending. And vice verse ppl that criticize him at every turn back themselves into that same corner. It’s a disease that this world is infected with right now. It’s ok to change your mind when presented with overwhelming evidence. It’s normal for someone to not always be right. I don’t think I can remember a time that you genuinely criticized KO, but you constantly defend him. Maybe you don’t have the information but I’m telling you the KO is innocent hill is not the hill you want to die on

I totally agree with you. It's okay to be wrong and it's not that painful to admit it.

Reaction Score
You are wrong
If KO did do something that would cause the university embarrassment and financial harm - I agree he is 100% wrong and should be led out without so much as a handshake goodbye
I don't know - you don't know what, if anything, he did
I didn't expect him back nor did I want him back but I am not convinced that he deserved to be fired "for just causes"
He didn't produce the last few years, I have my ideas why and others have different ideas
I don't like or agree with the constant character assassinations of him by those who see UConn and it's coaches/players on a mere win/loss basis
I've seen a lot in the past 50 plus years following all UConn sports, times much worse than these, and I have never seen such venom towards one person
Maybe it comes from people not old enough to remember the pre Calhoun era but in any case, KO has given a lot to this school, and yes he is being paid a lot, but in my mind I don't understand the hate.
He's gone
No one cares what you’re convinced of. You just proclaimed his innocence with ZERO information. What convinced you of his innocence? His word? Why do you trust his word so much? There is actual evidence to the contrary, that KO broke a couple rules(severity DOES NOT matter)and or he acted in an unethical manner(another reason for termination not being talked about) AD Dave and their team of lawyers are not stupid. He knows that Ollie knows his closet isn’t clean, and he knows KO will negotiate down just like a guilty man would. If KO stands his ground and demands the whole 10mil I’d be shocked. He knows he’s guilty of something as does everyone else whose been paying attention

Reaction Score
Give it a rest.

If Ollie is guilty of infractions severe enough to merit termination, everyone on this board will say that UConn should "not give a dime back."

Everyone. Even Gtcam, who just stated it as well. Every single UConn fan. Talking about hills to die on makes you sound ridiculous...
I sound ridiculous, ok. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Reaction Score
"Ollie is a member of the University of Connecticut's branch of the American Association of University Professors, a union that represents thousands of faculty members around the country. Per those close to the situation, few college basketball coaches possess union protection."

holy crap what a joke
It is a joke. But it also speaks to the good fortune we've had I'm hiring mostly good coaches, who haven't needed to be fired. Honeymoon is over for us.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And nobody is screwing him now, which is what I was responding too. I certainly don’t think he has performed like a top ten salary coach, do you? Maybe bottom 10.

That's the issue that you and others seem to continue to suffer from. A coach's contract is not based on guaranteed performance. It's not. It's based on the likelihood of performance and the market pressures at the time of the contract.

If we wanted to ensure the coach only got top 10 pay with top 10 performance, we could have stipulated that in the contract (x dollars for tourney, y dollars for championships, etc.)

But nobody does that. There's nothing to get mad about there. Did we give Kevin the top salary the year he won it all? Of course not. He got paid his contractual salary. That's how these things work, folks...

Reaction Score
I sound ridiculous, ok. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

There was a time when you were over there too. You have certainly come to see things for what they really are. Some are simply unwilling to be objective.

Reaction Score
Give it a rest.

What are infractions "serious enough." I keep hearing about impermissable practices, which can absolutely rise to the level of a coaching suspension. Is that serious ENOUGH? Or does the university believe their contractural language covers ANY infraction.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Dude is owed TEN MILLION DOLLARS. He was offered ZERO DOLLARS. He is pursuing action so that he leaves with X MILLION more dollars than zero.

Anyone in this thread who wouldn't do the same is either of the cloth or delusional.
Here is another thought. You don't want to pay a coach a ludicrous buyout amount, don't sign him to a contract promising to pay him a ludicrous buyout amount.

This school needs to stop agreeing to these insane buyouts. First Diaco, now Ollie. Their better off letting a good coach walk away to another job.

Reaction Score
I am curious how the arbitration works. I know when I have been part of it, its "baseball arbitration" meaning the arbitrator decides with one side or the other, it's not a middle ground number. Maybe the sides settle outside the arbitrator, but the arb doesn't mediate, they pick a side.

Each presents a number and the arbitrator picks the "fairest" one.

Reaction Score
Union or NOT....KO is going to fight for what he believes to be his money. He’s going to claim he did no wrong before an arbitrator or in court. Either way he’s looking for a settlement of a few million and he’s going to get a little or all of it if that’s what the arbitrator rules. You’d all be doing the same thing...I don’t understand what you’re all complaining about!?

Reaction Score
There was a time when you were over there too. You have certainly come to see things for what they really are. Some are simply unwilling to be objective.
Absolutely, I was way over there. But I was presented with evidence on and off the court that I was just wrong. So I changed my stance. If humanity operated under this boneyard mindset we’d still think the earth was flat.......nvmnd bad example hahaha

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What are infractions "serious enough." I keep hearing about impermissable practices, which can absolutely rise to the level of a coaching suspension. Is that serious ENOUGH? Or does the university believe their contractural language covers ANY infraction.

It's possible that the infractions met the criteria. That's something that will have to be determined in arbitration, I assume. So we'll have to wait and see the severity of the infractions and the verbiage of the contract.

There are just a few folks in this thread who are too emotional to wait and see, I guess...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Here is another thought. You don't want to pay a coach a ludicrous buyout amount, don't sign him to a contract promising to pay him a ludicrous buyout amount.

This school needs to stop agreeing to these insane buyouts. First Diaco, now Ollie. Their better off letting a good coach walk away to another job.

Bingo!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It makes you wonder if they even attempted a negotiated buyout.
Bad look for the University.
Hardly.

Want to know what is a bad look for the university? It would be this

Overall 14-18

Conf. 7-11

Home 11-5

Away 2-9

Neutral 1-4

Most 20 point losses in UConn history and finishing the season losing badly to a depleted SMU team, in the 8/9 game of the American.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
never said he was innocent at all
If KO did do something that would cause the university embarrassment and financial harm - I agree he is 100% wrong and should be led out without so much as a handshake goodbye
That says I proclaim him innocent?
You have ZERO evidence he did anything. I am not backed into any corner and I have nothing to change my mind about
Again, I didn't expect him back and I didn't want him back
I wish the school and DB had handled this in a different manner
I don’t think I can remember a time that you genuinely criticized KO, but you constantly defend him. Perhaps you don't read everything but I have been critical of his recruiting and to this day feel it was his biggest downfall. I have been critical to him when we have spoken on a few occasions and more critical on certain points about him to those in my UConn circle, I don't choose to bash someone constantly on a public forum.

I wish KO the best because I know him to be an up front guy and he will land on his feet
I wish the new coach the best of luck and will continue to buy my season tickets for all the sports and support UConn

I will now utilize the ignore option (something I hate to do) on some folks I have been considering to do for a long time - too many caustic things said in the heat of the moment to too many of those who don't see things their way. I'm a fighter but I can't tolerate immaturity and rudeness - I don't mean you

Anyways, thanks for your lecture

I'm done with this - you guys have fun with it

Reaction Score
We actually lost to a badly depleted SMU team not Houston

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We actually lost to a badly depleted SMU team not Houston
Don't bother me with facts, woman! I'm on a roll!

(Duly corrected.) ;)

Reaction Score
YeH, here is where he lets his true colors show. He either bleeds blue or green.
At this point the University has showed it's true colors. If UCONN wants to fire KO as the head coach because of the performance of his team over past few years they have every right to do so. To smear his name and fire him for just cause for allegations that have not been proven is plain wrong. They're doing this to avoid paying him the $10 million he's owed if he's fired.
You're right, Ollie will show his true colors and his true color is he's a fighter. The fact that the University is putting him through this and smearing his name will only make this very very bad for the University moving forward. No love lost now. Fire him, pay him his money and both parties move on.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Disagree. They give workers a stronger voice and larger share of the growth they work so hard to create. As well as benefits, which are kind of needed too.

Well, that's what they were created to do and started out as doing. Now though...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom