Olivia To UConn! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olivia To UConn!

Reaction Score
So with Ms Nelson-Odda, what does the UConn starting five look like two years out? Something like this?

Crystal Dangerfield
Chrystin Williams
Nelson-Ododa
Megan Walker
Batouly Camara

Just wondering....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The ESPN article went on to say that she thought that talking to Geno was the fun part, because he did not see it coming. (Which makes you wonder if he was deking when he mentioned "one next week" last week.) She and her family appreciated his excitement when he heard the news.
As Geno said about Christyn, he never gets blasé or takes these kids for granted.

Reaction Score
The ESPN article went on to say that she thought that talking to Geno was the fun part, because he did not see it coming. (Which makes you wonder if he was deking when he mentioned "one next week" last week.) She and her family appreciated his excitement when he heard the news.
the article concludes with her final thought: "The plan," she said, "is to go in and work hard."
yeah, that's Geno's plan for her as well. :):):)

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know if UConn's class is #1, but I'll take our 2 recruits over any other school's top 2, and considering that we should have 11 returning players, UConn got exactly what they needed: quality not quantity.
Still TBD whether Napheesa and Azura come back next year.

Reaction Score
Cocohusky turned me onto ONO some time ago. He then continued to pine for her, so I've looked for his post on this thread. Hard to imagine anyone who could be happier. I've checked out ONO on videos since I heard about her, and I must say I, too, pined for the young lady. We've had such problems landing a quality big (Wilson, Cox, C. Collier) that I felt we were jinxed in that area. Ain't so; we got the player(s)(including C. Williams) who we needed for a pleasant transition from one NC to the next. Somebody wants the train to roll on: don't even think of retiring G-man. As Mel Brooks said, "It's good to be King!"

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So with Ms Nelson-Odda, what does the UConn starting five look like two years out? Something like this?

Crystal Dangerfield
Chrystin Williams
Nelson-Ododa
Megan Walker
Batouly Camara

Just wondering....
Probably that or maybe with Macbegor.

Reaction Score
I just wish there were a video of their 1991 Final Four appearance. Just curious: What was it about that 1991 team that made you an instant fan?

I can identify. I have no ties whatsoever to Connecticut. Born and raised in Texas. The closest I've ever lived to the Northeast is Pittsburgh and DC. But I was instantly won over by the 1995 team that took down mighty Tennessee.
I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was impressed at how they passed the ball to each other.. even back then.. and Bascom was only 6'1", going up against the Burge Twins 6'5"..... also Staley was on that team. They only lost by 5 points... It was just fun to watch them...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This from GlennMacGrady on Rebkell;

"Now that UConn has signed #1 Christyn Williams at guard, whom Geno has called the best high school player in America, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who was the former #1 before injuring her ACL and who is the best 6-4 high school player in America, UConn fans on Wooster Street in New Haven are already reported to be lamenting the tedious team they will have to endure this season until they can get to the exciting team of next season".

FOTFLOL.

Reaction Score
Thanks Java, your Olivia post was the first one I saw. I just logged on, this is great. My first reaction is to the UConn coaches and the wonderful job they did in recruiting her. I liken this to them hitting a walk-off grand-slam home run in the bottom of the ninth with two out and down 3 runs. ONO is THE ONE Recruit I wanted from the 2018 class. If they got others from that class, fine. But SHE is the main player I wanted!! Today is a great day!!!!

Olivia - Welcome to the UConn family. You just made a decision you will NEVER regret. :):D

To my fellow BY's - OK, you guys can start breathing again. :p
Now we can hope the player who reneged, and signed with Texas, will realize her error and transfer to Uconn after her first year.

Reaction Score

"Now that UConn has signed #1 Christyn Williams at guard, whom Geno has called the best high school player in America, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who was the former #1 before injuring her ACL and who is the best 6-4 high school player in America, UConn fans on Wooster Street in New Haven are already reported to be lamenting the tedious team they will have to endure this season until they can get to the exciting team of next season".

FOTFLOL.
It's good they have something to look forward to.

Reaction Score

FOTFLOL.
Don't overlook the fact that Oregon signed a 6'9" athlete from another country. So, being the best 6'4" player is great, but there are now taller ones to contend with, as well. I'm not complaining, mind you. But Brittany from Baylor was a presence.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Crystal Dangerfield
Chrystin Williams
Nelson-Ododa
Megan Walker
Batouly Camara

Just wondering....
That's a starting five with four players who were ranked No. 1 at their respective positions. Not too shabby.

Reaction Score
83079021.gif
Is this why its LA now Eric, lol!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Does this give UCONN the #1 recruiting class?
No! This is an okay class but can't be considered a great or number one class unless we get a commitment from the Mac girl. It's probably a class that could be ranked about tenth in the nation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Eleventh Hour Class

Welcome to UConn, ladies!

Now that the dust has settled, I can now look back to the weekend these ladies made their official campus visit, Geno and his staff must have made one heck of a presentation to Olivia and her parents. No doubt the time she spent with the team was impressionable as well.

How warmly a potential recruit is received and made to feel welcome, is a very important dynamic that plays a significant part in the overall decision as to where they commit.

Our girls are one big happy family that has each other's backs 24/7. No doubt she had a private conversation with Azura with respect to her experience at Duke, since that was one of the 5 final schools she was considering. Who could give her a better, more honest behind the scenes look at Duke than Z?

It's evident how happy Z is to be at UConn. It's a good bet that came across during the time they spent together. The success that all (not some or most) of the recently graduated players from UConn have enjoyed had to be acknowledged and taken into account when making her final decision.

Again, I fist bump and high five Geno and his coaches on landing two of their most coveted recruits in the 2018 class. Job Well done!!!

Tip in - Java, you may have unwittingly or wittingly given this 2018 class a name that they won't be able to shake. I like it!!! Very appropos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom