Olivia To UConn! | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Olivia To UConn!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry to be so late to the party. Stuck with really slow wifi in the hotel we're staying at in Las Vegas. 1mb/sec as opposed to 120mb/sec at home. Have to surf at 5am to get anything done. Looking forward to our side trip to Reno to see Gabby and the rest of the crowd.

Thrilled that they landed Williams and Olivia. What a difference a week made. From 0 to 60 in two seconds flat. Can't believe the lineup Geno can field next year.

All the best thoughts to my fellow BY'ers. You're a great crew and I look forward to reading your posts every day! :D:D:D
Don't lose all your game ticket and cable TV money at the craps table! ;)

Reaction Score
I was negative only because I would have thought it would be hard to commit as an only recruit so I was very surprised that Christyn
decided on UConn. Much less so ONO since Christyn was already signed. This leads me to the possibility that Christyn and ONO really finally decided together (privately) on their last visit so Christyn knew she would not be the only recruit for 2018. I know that is not the official story but it seems very likely to me.
As long as your novel ends in multiple NC's for UConn, that's fine.

Reaction Score
Yes. From what I understand, she was leaning for a long time to UConn but the combination of SC being national champions in her neck of the woods + possible concerns about being the only recruit must have given her alot to think about during the last few weeks. If it was that simple, the consternation of the BY would not have been so high.
The BY thrives on consternation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I look forward to hearing Geno's comments. I expect he will cover some or all of these:

--Great student

--Nice kid

--Hard worker

--Long and athletic

--Very high ceiling

Geno: "She is one of the nicest kids we have been involved with in recruiting." "Laid back, kind of easy going, nice kid."

Geno: "I thought this kid plays really hard, she is really competitive."

Geno: "She has incredible athletic ability." "Just a really talented kid."

Mikayla: ""She is aggressive and around the basket, she is really talented, she hustles and on defense she will get the blocks."

Reaction Score
“Just the culture they have up there, the girls and the coaching staff, I was able to connect with them almost instantly,” Nelson-Ododa said. “The ability to form relationships with the coaches and girls and realizing they have a special type of culture up there, that’s what led to this decision.” Winder-Barrow’s Olivia Nelson-Ododa commits to UConn

We have heard this again and again. A tribute to what Geno, CD, Shea & Marisha have established and perpetuate at UConn and a tribute to the character of the young women who become Huskies.
Rebecca on choosing UConn: [from "Lobo's Lasting Legacy" on UConn site]:

“I just felt like I belonged there,” she said. “I felt that way because I enjoyed Coach (Geno) Auriemma and Coach (Chris) Dailey. I enjoyed talking to them and listening to them, being around them, more than anybody else who recruited me. I enjoyed the players on the team. They made me laugh, they understood my sense of humor. I felt at home there. I knew that this was the right place for me. You have those times in your life when your gut tells you, ‘This is what you need to do.’ I followed my heart.”

Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
UConn gets a lot of talent, but not all the talent. The view that Geno wins at UConn solely based on recruited talent misses the possibility that the other coaches likely would not win it all if they were coaching UConn, and that they would likely be losing to a Geno coached team of their players. Wasn't it one of the older coaches with a southern drawl years ago that said...He beats your'in with his'in and he would beat his'n with your'in. Greiner was a special talent surrounded by great talent but only won once. ... Thank you for alerting me not to bother with this Kallina guy.

Reaction Score
UConn gets a lot of talent, but not all the talent. The view that Geno wins at UConn solely based on recruited talent misses the possibility that the other coaches likely would not win it all if they were coaching UConn, and that they would likely be losing to a Geno coached team of their players. Wasn't it one of the older coaches with a southern drawl years ago that said...He beats your'in with his'in and he would beat his'n with your'in. Greiner was a special talent surrounded by great talent but only won once. ... Thank you for alerting me not to bother with this Kallina guy.
Bum Phillips on Don Shula

Reaction Score
Kids are kids and I am fine with it what I am not ok with is ESPN promoting one program over all and it results in recruiting success yes UConn is good but other programs deserved to be covered and are not

Well I guess that's the advantage of winning 11 NC and a resume such as Geno and staff. Not to mention the family atmosphere. Stop blaming ESPN for Uconn success. These girls go to Uconn to get coach by the best and be the best after college. These girls work so hard for anyone to write off there dedication and the work they put in practice and in games. And technically we don't get all the best players. I can recall the latest Aja Wilson signing with SC. Also we don't always get the best players we get good players coming out of high school then turn them into the best Kenny K.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I would be perfectly fine if they didn't talk about UConn for a year on ESPN, don't write any articles, don't make them a feature, find something new to talk about and see what happens. I guarantee you every WCBB forum would still have a thread about them. What's funny is that I frequent a lot of different forums and as much as people complain about UConn being the reason there is no parity, as soon as their team loses a game they shouldn't who do they reference? What's the first thing out of their mouth? "Well if we did it like UConn we wouldn't have these problems." "UConn players play the full 40 as hard as they can, wish our players did that." Opposing fans just love to have it both ways. You can't speak about WCBB and excellence and not bring up UConn and you can't bring up UConn and not experience a little hatred/jealousy/envy whatever you want to call from the opposition either. Welcome to UConn ONO... I promise you it's not about to get any easier but UConn Nation will be right there behind you! #bleedblue

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kids are kids and I am fine with it what I am not ok with is ESPN promoting one program over all and it results in recruiting success yes UConn is good but other programs deserved to be covered and are not

Well I guess that's the advantage of winning 11 NC and a resume such as Geno and staff. Not to mention the family atmosphere. Stop blaming ESPN for Uconn success. These girls go to Uconn to get coach by the best and be the best after college. These girls work so hard for anyone to write off there dedication and the work they put in practice and in games. And technically we don't get all the best players. I can recall the latest Aja Wilson signing with SC. Also we don't always get the best players we get good players coming out of high school then turn them into the best Kenny K.
This is a variation of "UConn is bad for women's basketball" and just as useless.

Speaking for myself, I agree with whoever said we're wasting too much time on this Kalina character. He's just another guy with an opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

Reaction Score
I was just wondering...
Has anyone seen Kalina and Coach J in the same place at the same time ?

Reaction Score
I thought that was either Landers or Blair who said that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I thought that was either Landers or Blair who said that.

It been said many different ways by many different people including Kara Lawson in this article.
" It’s not just that the Huskies have the best players. It’s that they’re coaching them the best. They’re fitting them the best within their system."

UConn women are dominant, awesome and boring at the same time

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I bit and listened.

First I would like to give them props on having a show where they talk about women's basketball. More and more podcasts are cropping up and its a good thing. They have the right idea and some of the content is good.

That being that a few things somewhat bothered me.

He talked about how dreadful it is that Z is coming off the bench and not starting. For an AAU coach he seems to put way more emphasis on who starts than minutes played. I have been following the sport for 20 years and there have been many great players that dont start but get plenty of minutes. Starter minutes in fact. Caroline Doty started but Bria Hartley came off the bench and she was an AA. Dawn Staley brought Aja Wilson and Alaina Coates off the bench when they were freshman and sophomore yet they were the leading scorers. I dont think who starts matters. Who is in the game at the end. And anyway Z stated she was fine with coming off the bench as it allowed her "see the game" prior.

He also mentioned about GA not playing Batouly. If he was actually paying attention he would have seen her dressed in street clothes and the brace on her knee rather than assuming she just didnt play.

Another topic that annoyed me was fact he talks about how GA is living off transfers. Really?? Z and Batouly this season and we had Natalie Butler a couple of seasons ago. And before that??? I don't know maybe Jess McCormack (2005??). Its not like UCONN is transfer city.

However some of his favorites:

South Carolina won a national championship with transfers (Gray and Davis) and start 2 more this season (Alexis Jennings & Lindsey Spann--not to mention Tea Cooper potentially in December) or a school from his home state FSU. The Seminoles made it to an E8 with Leticia Romero, Chatrice White, & Imana Wright. They added AJ Alix this season and will get Kiah Gillespie available next season.

Ok.. Thats enough.. Like I said I enjoy listening to shows on wcbb because i am a fan but sometimes things need to be put in perspective rather than just going off on tangents to satisfy inner conflicts.
Kenny is not really a very bright guy.

Reaction Score
The view that Geno wins at UConn solely based on recruited talent misses the possibility that the other coaches likely would not win it all if they were coaching UConn, and that they would likely be losing to a Geno coached team of their players. Wasn't it one of the older coaches with a southern drawl years ago that said...He beats your'in with his'in and he would beat his'n with your'in.

It was Bum Phillips, talking about Don Shula. He said: "“He can take his’n and beat your’n and take your’n and beat his’n.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom