Olivia To UConn! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Olivia To UConn!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kallina is a coach and club director for a traveling team in Florida. He's actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game, but for anything beyond that he relishes his self-appointed role as a dissident provocateur to the point that, let's just say, his objectivity suffers. He hates on Tennessee almost as much as he hates on UConn. He reverts to 3 or 4 overarching narratives for all things in WCBB, and one of those narratives is that ESPN functions as UConn's PR department. My personal opinion is that he knows how absurd he sounds and he's just getting a kick out of stirring the pot.

I'd love to know what evidence there is that he is knowledgeable on Xs and Os. I don't see it.

It's really hilarious to hear people complain about ESPN and UConn. ESPN follows the Willie Sutton rule: they go where the eyeballs and money are. ESPN would much prefer that an ACC or SEC team be the most popular team in women's basketball but Geno and UConn haven't cooperated. ESPN isn't doing the UConn men any favors. The UConn women continue to win in spite of ESPN and its orchestration of the conference realignment that landed UConn in the AAC.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This was a rough day for our good friend Mr Kallina. He's...not happy.
Ahhh, I feel so bad for him.

34011359.jpg

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Sorry to be so late to the party. Stuck with really slow wifi in the hotel we're staying at in Las Vegas. 1mb/sec as opposed to 120mb/sec at home. Have to surf at 5am to get anything done. Looking forward to our side trip to Reno to see Gabby and the rest of the crowd.

Thrilled that they landed Williams and Olivia. What a difference a week made. From 0 to 60 in two seconds flat. Can't believe the lineup Geno can field next year.

All the best thoughts to my fellow BY'ers. You're a great crew and I look forward to reading your posts every day! :D:D:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kallina is a coach and club director for a traveling team in Florida. He's actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game, but for anything beyond that he relishes his self-appointed role as a dissident provocateur to the point that, let's just say, his objectivity suffers. He hates on Tennessee almost as much as he hates on UConn. He reverts to 3 or 4 overarching narratives for all things in WCBB, and one of those narratives is that ESPN functions as UConn's PR department. My personal opinion is that he knows how absurd he sounds and he's just getting a kick out of stirring the pot.
I can't even respect that kind of hate. It's so....UNNATURAL......you raise kids to hate one or the other, not both!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Where is the crow?? I need to eat one!!

I thought we had NO (ZERO) chance of landing her.

Shows what I know...

Welcome Olivia!! Husky Nation will love you forever!!!!
Much respect for Maning or Womaning up! There are still many out there that have yet to check in to get their serving of crow. They have 24 hours to check in before I empty both barrels.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was negative only because I would have thought it would be hard to commit as an only recruit so I was very surprised that Christyn
decided on UConn. Much less so ONO since Christyn was already signed. This leads me to the possibility that Christyn and ONO really finally decided together (privately) on their last visit so Christyn knew she would not be the only recruit for 2018. I know that is not the official story but it seems very likely to me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was negative only because I would have thought it would be hard to commit as an only recruit so I was very surprised that Christyn
decided on UConn. Much less so ONO since Christyn was already signed. This leads me to the possibility that Christyn and ONO really finally decided together (privately) on their last visit so Christyn knew she would not be the only recruit for 2018. I know that is not the official story but it seems very likely to me.

It's not the story. Christyn Williams really wanted UConn and it didn't matter that she might be the only 2018 recruit. It really is that simple. Is she pleased she's not the only 2018 recruit? Of course.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's not the story. Christyn Williams really wanted UConn and it didn't matter that she might be the only 2018 recruit. It really is that simple. Is she pleased she's not the only 2018 recruit? Of course.

Yes. From what I understand, she was leaning for a long time to UConn but the combination of SC being national champions in her neck of the woods + possible concerns about being the only recruit must have given her alot to think about during the last few weeks. If it was that simple, the consternation of the BY would not have been so high.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes. From what I understand, she was leaning for a long time to UConn but the combination of SC being national champions in her neck of the woods + possible concerns about being the only recruit must have given her alot to think about during the last few weeks. If it was that simple, the consternation of the BY would not have been so high.
I see what you are trying to do there. Your negativity (self admitted) does not equal BY consternation. For CW not much changed with her last visit to UCONN. I'm trying to find the exact quote but this is what she said to ESPN: "Paraphrased" "The feeling I got in this last visit was pretty much the same feeling I got when I visited in 9th grade, so I knew this is where I wanted to be."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
must have given her alot to think about during the last few weeks.

Actually there were no such concerns over the last few weeks. She said she knew UConn was for her when she made her official visit a few weeks ago and felt like she did when she made an unofficial as a 9th grader. Felt like home. That is a powerful feeling.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is any statistical validity to this, but our last player with a hyphenated name was a 2-time All-American and set an NCAA career record. The player with world-class hands and perfect ball rotation:

usa-today-8434383.0.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd love to know what evidence there is that he is knowledgeable on Xs and Os. I don't see it.

It's really hilarious to hear people complain about ESPN and UConn. ESPN follows the Willie Sutton rule: they go where the eyeballs and money are. ESPN would much prefer that an ACC or SEC team be the most popular team in women's basketball but Geno and UConn haven't cooperated. ESPN isn't doing the UConn men any favors. The UConn women continue to win in spite of ESPN and its orchestration of the conference realignment that landed UConn in the AAC.

First time I've heard of this nonsense, regarding ESPN, was during Maya's recruiting, don't get it! Was this also brought up during the Sue Bird, Taurasi era? For the naysayers maybe they want a closure (so they can sleep at nights) for as to why recruits choose UConn.

All these years have not heard or read a comment made by any of the recruits, reason they chose UConn was of ESPN?

...and I'm sure Tenn gets these #1 recruiting classes is because of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame that's down the street from campus?:confused:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I know this is a ONO thread but if you want more laughs I suggest watching Kallina's latest periscope where he attempts to argue that UConn gets players soley due to ESPN. I think Olivia's move today really put a burr under his saddle.

Well I bit and listened.

First I would like to give them props on having a show where they talk about women's basketball. More and more podcasts are cropping up and its a good thing. They have the right idea and some of the content is good.

That being that a few things somewhat bothered me.

He talked about how dreadful it is that Z is coming off the bench and not starting. For an AAU coach he seems to put way more emphasis on who starts than minutes played. I have been following the sport for 20 years and there have been many great players that dont start but get plenty of minutes. Starter minutes in fact. Caroline Doty started but Bria Hartley came off the bench and she was an AA. Dawn Staley brought Aja Wilson and Alaina Coates off the bench when they were freshman and sophomore yet they were the leading scorers. I dont think who starts matters. Who is in the game at the end. And anyway Z stated she was fine with coming off the bench as it allowed her "see the game" prior.

He also mentioned about GA not playing Batouly. If he was actually paying attention he would have seen her dressed in street clothes and the brace on her knee rather than assuming she just didnt play.

Another topic that annoyed me was fact he talks about how GA is living off transfers. Really?? Z and Batouly this season and we had Natalie Butler a couple of seasons ago. And before that??? I don't know maybe Jess McCormack (2005??). Its not like UCONN is transfer city.

However some of his favorites:

South Carolina won a national championship with transfers (Gray and Davis) and start 2 more this season (Alexis Jennings & Lindsey Spann--not to mention Tea Cooper potentially in December) or a school from his home state FSU. The Seminoles made it to an E8 with Leticia Romero, Chatrice White, & Imana Wright. They added AJ Alix this season and will get Kiah Gillespie available next season.

Ok.. Thats enough.. Like I said I enjoy listening to shows on wcbb because i am a fan but sometimes things need to be put in perspective rather than just going off on tangents to satisfy inner conflicts.

Reaction Score
First time I've heard of this nonsense, regarding ESPN, was during Maya's recruiting, don't get it! Was this also brought up during the Sue Bird, Taurasi era? For the naysayers maybe they want a closure (so they can sleep at nights) for as to why recruits choose UConn.

All these years have not heard or read a comment made by any of the recruits, reason they chose UConn was of ESPN?

...and I'm sure Tenn gets these #1 recruiting classes is because of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame that's down the street from campus?:confused:

Here's a new one:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well I bit and listened.

First I would like to give them props on having a show where they talk about women's basketball. More and more podcasts are cropping up and its a good thing. They have the right idea and some of the content is good.

That being that a few things somewhat bothered me.

He talked about how dreadful it is that Z is coming off the bench and not starting. For an AAU coach he seems to put way more emphasis on who starts than minutes played. I have been following the sport for 20 years and there have been many great players that dont start but get plenty of minutes. Starter minutes in fact. Caroline Doty started but Bria Hartley came off the bench and she was an AA. Dawn Staley brought Aja Wilson and Alaina Coates off the bench when they were freshman and sophomore yet they were the leading scorers. I dont think who starts matters. Who is in the game at the end. And anyway Z stated she was fine with coming off the bench as it allowed her "see the game" prior.

He also mentioned about GA not playing Batouly. If he was actually paying attention he would have seen her dressed in street clothes and the brace on her knee rather than assuming she just didnt play.

Another topic that annoyed me was fact he talks about how GA is living off transfers. Really?? Z and Batouly this season and we had Natalie Butler a couple of seasons ago. And before that??? I don't know maybe Jess McCormack (2005??). Its not like UCONN is transfer city.

However some of his favorites:

South Carolina won a national championship with transfers (Gray and Davis) and start 2 more this season (Alexis Jennings & Lindsey Spann--not to mention Tea Cooper potentially in December) or a school from his home state FSU. The Seminoles made it to an E8 with Leticia Romero, Chatrice White, & Imana Wright. They added AJ Alix this season and will get Kiah Gillespie available next season.

Ok.. Thats enough.. Like I said I enjoy listening to shows on wcbb because i am a fan but sometimes things need to be put in perspective rather than just going off on tangents to satisfy inner conflicts.
Has the thought ever occurred to you that @kennykallina only says outrageous thinks so that people like you will listen?
Good, I had the same though. Here are some other thoughts:
Is being outrageous and going off on tangents really a "good thing" for WCBB?
Don't you get enough "going off on tangents" from the BY?Head bang

Reaction Score
Has the thought ever occurred to you that @kennykallina only says outrageous thinks so that people like you will listen?

I agree with your overall tone. It's okay once or twice to laugh at KennyK. But he is getting too much ink on the boneyard for just being an idiot. He's a nothing - no better than the posters on here. Why do we have to keep reading his stupid comments? They add nothing except humor and from him a huge teaspoon of bitterness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Clearly Kenny K takes great pleasure in tweaking the powerful programs like UConn, ND and Tenn and their fans...........still, I don't think he's alone in his feelings........I'm sure you've noticed that there are plenty of UConn critics out there other then just KK...........I think it's important and interesting to know what others are thinking and when necessary to counter their silly and often uneducated arguments..........could we all just ignore him..........sure but what fun is that?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
However, Auriemma admitted he wasn't sure which way Olivia Nelson-Ododa was leaning before she committed to the Huskies on Monday.

"You never know about recruiting," Auriemma said. "I remember the very first time I sat down and watched her play, I thought this kid plays really hard, she is really competitive and she has incredible athletic ability. There are a lot of things that she does well, then when you meet these kids, sometimes it makes you question (if you want to continue to recruit them) and other times it just adds to it. She is one of the nicest kids we have been involved with in recruiting - both of these kids her and Christyn,

"I know Olivia hasn't played, it's been a little while since she played (as a result of a knee injury). She is a little bit like Azura' as a person, laid back kind of easy going, nice kid and just a really talented kid. She is not a 'stick them in the low post and forget about them' player, she is a basketball player. Needless to say we were pretty excited when we got her."

More at the link:

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Geno Auriemma dishes on newly signed recruiting class

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom