Oh, my lord. Cincinnati. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Oh, my lord. Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree.

Pitt was just straight out thug-ball.

Cincy is not - they're a pretty clean defensive team.

What I see is that Cronin really develops tunnel vision at times.

Iowa threw a zone at Cincinnati when they went down 13 in the first half and it really took Cincy way too much time to adjust to it - it almost looks like Cronin starts looking at his guys and forgets to check in on the opponent.
The weak press befuddled them. Saw 1 10sec call. Only saw about 2 minutes of game.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
See bearcats, that is what you get for not losing to Uconn! You would have dropped down to an 8 seed and faced a team that was in the top 25 less than you!

But ya, recent results, when looked at as a whole are really super depressing. 2-11 in 2nd round games coupled with five first round losses since 1997. Well, they'll always have 2001 and 2012!
god those back to back buzzer beating losses in 97 and 98 still hurt soooo bad.

Reaction Score
Using Kansas as a model is not exactly giving anyone a fair shake. We'd be closer to Cincy in that game.

No one would prefer to be Cinci. The debate I am referring to is whether you would prefer 4 championships with some terrible seasons mixed in, or consistent excellence with only 1 championship. I think most argued the former, probably with tennispro leading the charge on the latter.

Reaction Score
No one would prefer to be Cinci. The debate I am referring to is whether you would prefer 4 championships with some terrible seasons mixed in, or consistent excellence with only 1 championship. I think most argued the former, probably with tennispro leading the charge on the latter.
No question the 4 NCs with some bad seasons mixed in. Because after having a bad season,usually with a young team with whole sale changes (93, 97, 01, 07) you know player development and good coaching will get you a chance at a NC every 3-4 yrs. just my 2 cents
Unfortunately, we have had 3 straight seasons of not making the big dance, the first time since the 80s. We are way off.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No question the 4 NCs with some bad seasons mixed in. Because after having a bad season,usually with a young team with whole sale changes (93, 97, 01, 07) you know player development and good coaching will get you a chance at a NC every 3-4 yrs. just my 2 cents
Unfortunately, we have had 3 straight seasons of not making the big dance, the first time since the 80s. We are way off.

Ncaa In 2021.

Reaction Score
god those back to back buzzer beating losses in 97 and 98 still hurt soooo bad.
If I could give you a facebook style sad face I would. Still remember seeing those as a teen.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree.

Pitt was just straight out thug-ball.

Cincy is not - they're a pretty clean defensive team.

What I see is that Cronin really develops tunnel vision at times.

Iowa threw a zone at Cincinnati when they went down 13 in the first half and it really took Cincy way too much time to adjust to it - it almost looks like Cronin starts looking at his guys and forgets to check in on the opponent.
The tunnel vision is dead on ... there was a point in the game yesterday when they flashed to Cronin and his lips were all chapped like he hadn’t considered food or water for days and he was barking like some panicked dog. Damn funny.

C

Chief00

You need to be able to score under duress in the tournament. Cincy has trouble doing that.

Reaction Score
Although the way refs are calling games now....

That 2009 Big east was so strong. Didn't they get 4 teams to the elite 8 and two to the final 4 (6 or 7 in the S16 too)? Uconn of course going down to MSU and Nova getting creamed by UNC. Always felt if Uconn had gotten past MSU, they were the only team in the field other than duke that could have given unc a run for their money. msu was literally the worst matchup for uconn in the bracket, ugh.
Duke lost by like an average of 10 points in the two games against UNC that year and I think something like 5-1 during Lawson’s career. They just weren’t built to stop his speed.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
You need to be able to score under duress in the tournament. Cincy has trouble doing that.
i think there is enough evidence now to prove that this "elite" defense is really only elite against conference foes and has failed us in the NCAA tournament time and time again.

Here's some numbers of what they've given up in the last 4 NCAA tournament losses --

St. Joes - 78 points, 1.26 PPP
UCLA - 79 points, 1.25 PPP
Nevada - 75 points, 1.14 PPP
Iowa - 79 points, 1.18 PPP

so when you play against good teams and can't stop anyone it really amplifies our lack of talent. which mick for whatever reason has been awful at recruiting consistently. we'll get a few guys here and there but too much of our roster is made up of 9-13 men on good teams. it is what is at this point.

some dopey P5 school!!! PLS SAVE US

Reaction Score
It was embarrassing to lose to that MSU team.

Completely outclassed talent wise and found a way to get dominated down low for far too long. They killed us on the offensive glass despite supposedly having 2 stud bigs to their zero

Would we have lost if Dyson had played?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulsa is the same distance from Houston as Richmond, VA is from Storrs.
You are right, that's true. It's not like Columbus for Cincinnati. But it's the closest location to Houston of all the sites and a lot Houston fans make the trip. They wouldn’t make the trip if the Cougars were in Hartford. Well, they didn't in 2015 when I went to the AAC tourny.
The point was it was a relatively easy trip for them and they were playing Ga St. . I am glad they blew them out. I hope they can win against Ohio St.
Tulsa is the same distance from Houston as Richmond, VA is from Storrs.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You are right, that's true. It's not like Columbus for Cincinnati. But it's the closest location to Houston of all the sites and a lot Houston fans make the trip. They wouldn’t make the trip if the Cougars were in Hartford. Well, they didn't in 2015 when I went to the AAC tourny.
The point was it was a relatively easy trip for them and they were playing Ga St. . I am glad they blew them out. I hope they can win against Ohio St.

Most large cities in the SW are 200-400 miles apart. Nobody thinks anything of driving long distances. It's not like the NE, where it can be an ordeal to drive 50 miles. There's next to nothing between Houston and Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Crushing defense with zero offense except for Sam young. Good comp.
Yup. Cincy is Pitt from 2000 - 2013. I wud always take them far in my ncaa pool because they were so good in reg season and had big tuff guys and good guards. But never got far except the elite 8 one year when they lost to nova I believe. Think that was year uconn lost to Izzo when kemba was a frosh. Perfect comparison

Reaction Score
God, Pittsburgh had some good tuff teams back then. God , the big east was so good. Wow , how great it used to be. Sorry was just thinking that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom