Oh, my lord. Cincinnati. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oh, my lord. Cincinnati.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
past that point. now its just funny to me. mick has successfully killed the "die-hardness" with which i follow this program. god

Whole hardo act has got to be stale too. I like Cincinnati as a program and I appreciate the toughness of their players, but Mick's comments can be cringeworthy at times.

I think it was during the AAC Tourney when he was boasting about how they are always getting everyone's best shot because they've won the most games in the AAC the past few seasons.

All of which is likely true - except it comes off as pretty desperate being said from a coach who's never won a damn thing come tourney time.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Whole hardo act has got to be stale too. I like Cincinnati as a program and I appreciate the toughness of their players, but Mick's comments can be cringeworthy at times.

I think it was during the AAC Tourney when he was boasting about how they are always getting everyone's best shot because they've won the most games in the AAC the past few seasons.

All of which is likely true - except it comes off as pretty desperate being said from a coach who's never won a damn thing come tourney time.
little man is gonna little man

Reaction Score
little man is gonna little man
mickyaa-400x419-3.jpg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sure. Why not? If Gonzaga can do it from the WCC and Nova can do it in the Catholic 7, why not UConn from the AAC? We have more history and prestige than either of those programs. If Butler, VCU, and Wichita State can all reach the Final Four from lesser conferences, there's no reason a good coach and some good recruits can't get us back there.
we already have

Reaction Score
The bottom half of the AAC has improved markedly since the league was born.

Unfortunately the top half hasn’t. Good, but not elite teams.

Next year a resurgence of Memphis, Wichita State, and UConn will strengthen the middle of the AAC. And in two years I think we will see the top of AAC putting teams in the tourney whom are nationally elite.
Yeah Tulane is on a roll.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reminds me a slightly less skilled version of Pitt back in the day. Hard physical type players, that get away with maybe more than they should in the regular season. Once tournament time rolls around, they've a tough time playing 'clean'.

And then Cronin gets tight on top of that.

EDIT: @EROCK CONN got there first

I actually disagree.

Pitt was just straight out thug-ball.

Cincy is not - they're a pretty clean defensive team.

What I see is that Cronin really develops tunnel vision at times.

Iowa threw a zone at Cincinnati when they went down 13 in the first half and it really took Cincy way too much time to adjust to it - it almost looks like Cronin starts looking at his guys and forgets to check in on the opponent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone would prefer the former when the NCAA tournament appearances result in embarrassing eliminations more often than not. Correct me if I'm wrong but the team used as an example of consistent success and appearances in this debate is usually Kansas.

Using Kansas as a model is not exactly giving anyone a fair shake. We'd be closer to Cincy in that game.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree.

Iowa threw a zone at Cincinnati when they went down 13 in the first half and it really took Cincy way too much time to adjust to it - it almost looks like Cronin starts looking at his guys and forgets to check in on the opponent.
You'd think that'd be conquerable by hiring a good assistant or someone to sit up top and clue him in to the forest & not the trees.
Given Cincy, Pitt & UVA - there is undeniably a theme that great SYSTEM defensive teams are not built for the NCAA tournament. Was true with Syracuse until somehow the Carmelo run undid their hex.

Reaction Score
See bearcats, that is what you get for not losing to Uconn! You would have dropped down to an 8 seed and faced a team that was in the top 25 less than you!

But ya, recent results, when looked at as a whole are really super depressing. 2-11 in 2nd round games coupled with five first round losses since 1997. Well, they'll always have 2001 and 2012!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 4.05.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 4.05.47 PM.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I actually disagree.

Fair, I thought they had 2 guys with four fouls on the bench with 8-10 min to play. Checked the box and not sure that's right; one starter, one reserve. I thought they were in foul trouble against Nevada last year as well. Memory doesn't serve there.

As far as adjusting, they mostly can't shoot. But you're right, Mick doesn't even try. Good move going to zone.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I actually disagree.

So was mich st. Yet they’re allowed to get away with it.

The game they call them as tight as a Pitt game will be the first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom