Oh, my lord. Cincinnati. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oh, my lord. Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
They're your classic program that looks so much better in conference play, far better than they should. Whenever they play outside of it they get exposed.

Poor man's Pitt for sure. Pitt was always more disappointing to me because they were far better and always flamed out.
for sure, Pitt was very good back in the 2000s and 2011. They just could not get over the cusp into excellence. Those Pitt teams would dust anyone in the AAC now.

Reaction Score
Houston looked like a final four team vs us .... (but that was us). Then played Memphis tight and not so good vs Cincy last weekend. If they don't choke, that will be a surprise to me.
I hope not. Houston is in their backyard in Tulsa for the first two rounds. First round they should win, 2nd round, well, that's up in the air vs Iowa St/Ohio St.

Reaction Score
for sure, Pitt was very good back in the 2000s and 2011. They just could not get over the cusp into excellence. Those Pitt teams would dust anyone in the AAC now.
Although the way refs are calling games now....

That 2009 team with Blair was half a second away from the final four if not for Nova's Reynolds hitting that shot.
That 2009 Big east was so strong. Didn't they get 4 teams to the elite 8 and two to the final 4 (6 or 7 in the S16 too)? Uconn of course going down to MSU and Nova getting creamed by UNC. Always felt if Uconn had gotten past MSU, they were the only team in the field other than duke that could have given unc a run for their money. msu was literally the worst matchup for uconn in the bracket, ugh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
all we do is hope some dopey middle of the pack P5 school offers him a boatload of cash because he aint goin nowhere.
the real pain is not making the dance at all. UConn hasn't done so in the last 3 years. But yeah, not advancing past the first weekend has to be frustrating. I am still annoyed they couldn't close out a 22 pt lead with 10:30 to go against Nevada last year.
you are right, Cronin isn't going anywhere. I am not sure how much of this loss on is on him, although he could've done a few things differently for sure.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

That 2009 team with Blair was half a second away from the final four if not for Nova's Reynolds hitting that shot.

Reaction Score
You people crack me up. Cincinnati just won the conference title and won 28 games with probably the least talented team they’ve had in a while. Mick isn’t going anywhere.
For sure. I don't think he should considering how much talent they lost last year and that they still finished 2nd and won the conference tourny. I don't know how much blame he should get for today, but Cincy in March is like Buffalo in the 90s with Super Bowls.

Reaction Score
all we do is hope some dopey middle of the pack P5 school offers him a boatload of cash because he aint goin nowhere.[/QUOTE

The players change but there are three constants at Cincinnati: Cronin, the regular season and the post season.
So, with all the upgrades to facilities and other actions the university has taken to get the P5 invitation, how likely is it the university will keep giving him a pass when they've failed to get past the first weekend for seven straight years?

Reaction Score
oh that's right. That was right here in Boston. I remember that end to end layup with Reynolds.
I wonder sometimes, what would UConn have done if Jerome Dyson didn't get injured? He fit that team perfectly and he would've locked down the Mich St shooter that was going off.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What do you do with Cronin? At what point will such a good regular season coach find himself on the hot seat?

I really don't know.

This isn't a case where a team has a coach who can't get them to the Final Four. This is a guy who has trouble getting to the Final 32. But he also gets to the Final 64....I think Cincinnati just has to hope that someday some other school misses out on enough of their top targets to make a run at Cronin.

Reaction Score
Cincy has 9 consecutive Tourney births which is great but only once in those 9 years have they won more than 2 games, usually they win 1 or none. But, their highest seed in 9 years was last year as a 2 seed and only won 1 game, usually they are seeded 6 thru 8 so they are really only "supposed" to win 1 game.

So basically they haven't really underachieved except for last year but they never overachieve..........I wouldn't get rid of Cronin yet but he needs to find a way to get them to play over their heads in March in the near future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet we could use some of their big men. He recruits decent players.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Although the way refs are calling games now....

That 2009 Big east was so strong. Didn't they get 4 teams to the elite 8 and two to the final 4 (6 or 7 in the S16 too)? Uconn of course going down to MSU and Nova getting creamed by UNC. Always felt if Uconn had gotten past MSU, they were the only team in the field other than duke that could have given unc a run for their money. msu was literally the worst matchup for uconn in the bracket, ugh.

It was embarrassing to lose to that MSU team.

Completely outclassed talent wise and found a way to get dominated down low for far too long. They killed us on the offensive glass despite supposedly having 2 stud bigs to their zero

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
And yet we could use some of their big men. He recruits decent players.
We paid extra money to pry Hunter away from Nebraska with the expectation that we could use him to sell player development to bigs from the midatlantic. We have trouble recruiting bigs, we have a reputation as a guard school. Hopefully it pays off.

Reaction Score
Need someone to put the AAC on their shoulders until UCONN is ready for that responsibility again. Temple - No, Cincinnati No

Dear I say Houston and UFC are now must win games?

Reaction Score
yep. first comment was about how iowa was ranked in the top 25 more weeks then we were this season.
That would make my blood boil as a fan, what a wuss.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
That would make my blood boil as a fan, what a wuss.
past that point. now its just funny to me. mick has successfully killed the "die-hardness" with which i follow this program. god

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom