Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I am not impressed with this incoming class. In its current form, I believe its the worst class in Hockey East. This team needs to bring in a couple instant impact guys at the forward position next season.

In addition, I agree with you on the sophomores and juniors. Too many busts for a team that cannot really afford many. In the offseason, I would be surprised if there are not changes to the roster with players not returning.

The team is getting nothing out of Ojantakanen, Golonka (played in the first two games and only one since), Wight, and Segalla. For a BC transfer, Richardson has not given this team much and they are not getting much out of Schwartz. Naas has not been that great either this season.

I personally thought Ojantakanen, Wight, and Schwartz would be having much better years. Wight and Schwartz were a point a game players in the BCHL but here Cavanaugh is not getting much out of them. Other than a little streak with Naas and Ronan last season, Ojantakanen has provided little. I remember Cavanaugh said he would be disappointed if there was not a big improvement with Ojantakanen and Schwartz this season. Well, there has not been.

I would hate to see where this team would be if they did not get fortunate with Masonius and Letunov.
Totally agree...I think he needs to take a long look at his support staff (S&C, nutrition, etc...). One thing we know is this...he will definitely not be shy to ask for something he needs to win. And outside of blinking his eyes and giving him a new encamps facility/arena Warde will give it to him.

Reaction Score
Bryan Nelson released from his BCHL team, West Kelowna Warriors.

Odd to be released mid-season after playing in 34 of the team's 40 games.

Could he be a second half addition?

Reaction Score
Bryan Nelson released from his BCHL team, West Kelowna Warriors.

Odd to be released mid-season after playing in 34 of the team's 40 games.

Could he be a second half addition?
Maybe...Kunnas scratched today with an injury...has Segalla played since they have started the 2nd half of he season?

Reaction Score
Maybe...Kunnas scratched today with an injury...has Segalla played since they have started the 2nd half of he season?
Kunnas might have suffered a concussion after the hit he took on Tuesday.

Segalla has not played since his suspension was lifted. I do not think Cavanaugh is Segalla's biggest fan right now.

It has been a totally wasted year for him so far. He has only played in 8 games this season, suspended 1 game for spearing, and suspended 4 for violation of team rules.

Reaction Score
Kunnas might have suffered a concussion after the hit he took on Tuesday.

Segalla has not played since his suspension was lifted. I do not think Cavanaugh is Segalla's biggest fan right now.

It has been a totally wasted year for him so far. He has only played in 8 games this season, suspended 1 game for spearing, and suspended 4 for violation of team rules.
Maybe Nelson is going to take Segalla's roster spot

Reaction Score
From Hartford Courant UConn Hockey Beat writer Mike Anthony via Twitter:
@ManthonyCourant
UConn hockey team gets commitment from Alexandre Payusov, Canadian player currently with Madison Capitols of USHL. eliteprospects.com/player.php?pla…

Reaction Score
From Hartford Courant UConn Hockey Beat writer Mike Anthony via Twitter:
@ManthonyCourant
UConn hockey team gets commitment from Alexandre Payusov, Canadian player currently with Madison Capitols of USHL. eliteprospects.com/player.php?pla…

http://stats.ushl.com/ushl/ushl/en/stats/player.php?id=426

russbites6:17pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn gets commit from fwd Alexandre Payusov '97 (Madison Caps). Que. native & Russian. Avg size, skill guy creates off., needs consistency

http://mhl.khl.ru/en/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=340590

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bryan Nelson now playing for the CT Junior Rangers in the USPHL. Same team UConn commit Ben Freeman plays on.

Reaction Score
Not a good sign - The USPHL is a big downgrade from the BCHL (which is not known to be a defensive league more offensive flowing with very little defense being played). Players usually play in the USPHL when they can't make a USHL Team (which is probably the best amateur development league), BCHL or North American Hockey League Team. I just got the skinny on all the leagues from a scout I bumped into at one of the WolfPack games.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Not a good sign - The USPHL is a big downgrade from the BCHL (which is not known to be a defensive league more offensive flowing with very little defense being played). Players usually play in the USPHL when they can't make a USHL Team (which is probably the best amateur development league), BCHL or North American Hockey League Team. I just got the skinny on all the leagues from a scout I bumped into at one of the WolfPack games.

There are actually quite a few USPHL kids in Hockey East now. BC is loaded with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

http://www.usphl.com/ncaaalumni

Reaction Score
When your ranked 43rd out of 60 in the nation in D1 Hockey with 4 wins coming against Arizona State and Huntsville/Alabama everyone is open to be second guessed,challenged,questioned and criticized from the head coach down to the bus driver.

Reaction Score
When your ranked 43rd out of 60 in the nation in D1 Hockey with 4 wins coming against Arizona State and Huntsville/Alabama everyone is open to be second guessed,challenged,questioned and criticized from the head coach down to the bus driver.
At least on the football board they include the AD too. He's the ONLY one you forgot. @hockeyfan44 what did you do when UConn was in the AHA and Marshall was the head coach?

Reaction Score
To be honest I thought about putting the big guy on the list but if it wasn't for him UCONN wouldn't be in Hockey East today. Plus Warde is real and I like that about him. Did I think he could of made a better decision with his 1st HE coach in Storrs? Absolutely. Did Marshall drive us crazy? At times yes. Is it more enjoyable watching UCONN Hockey at XL Center against the BU BC, ND's of the world compared to watching them play Sacred Heart in Storrs? Most definitely Yes.

Reaction Score
I asked the play by play guy of West Kelowna why Nelson left. He was told it was because he wanted to be closer to home. They are playing with only six defensemen now and an open roster spot.

The USPHL is not even close to being the BCHL or USHL. But good players do come out of the USPHL.

Reaction Score
UConn commit defenseman Adam Karashik with a 360° spin-o-rama assist

Reaction Score
Keep an eye on forward Johnny McDermott from Westminster Prep in Simsbury. Has decommited from BU. BU wanted him to push back his enrollment to 2017-18.

UConn was in his final group of schools along with BC, Providence, and Union prior to his commitment.

The forward would be a big pickup for next season for UConn.

Reaction Score
Keep an eye on forward Johnny McDermott from Westminster Prep in Simsbury. Has decommited from BU. BU wanted him to push back his enrollment to 2017-18.

UConn was in his final group of schools along with BC, Providence, and Union prior to his commitment.

The forward would be a big pickup for next season for UConn.
Where'd you see he decommitted? No one in BU circles has reported this. There was some talk from Jeff Cox when Amonte committed recently that a prep recruit may be asked to push a year, but that was later debunked as not a decided fact and Amonte may be the one to push.

Reaction Score
Any kids at Malden Catholic or Pope Francis (formerly Cathedral in Springfield) heading or looking into UConn? Went with my buddy to watch his nephew, a defenseman at PF and heading to VMI (hoping still for Annapolis) to play and man there were some skilled kids int his game. Battle of #2 and #4 in the state of Mass and it was a beauty. #4 PF with a mild upset of MC by a 3-2 score. Even't been to a HS gam in years and I must say this was very fun to watch the the skill sets were much higher than I envisioned. 2-3 lines deep of very nice skaters and passers etc etc....will go again!

Reaction Score
Any kids at Malden Catholic or Pope Francis (formerly Cathedral in Springfield) heading or looking into UConn? Went with my buddy to watch his nephew, a defenseman at PF and heading to VMI (hoping still for Annapolis) to play and man there were some skilled kids int his game. Battle of #2 and #4 in the state of Mass and it was a beauty. #4 PF with a mild upset of MC by a 3-2 score. Even't been to a HS gam in years and I must say this was very fun to watch the the skill sets were much higher than I envisioned. 2-3 lines deep of very nice skaters and passers etc etc....will go again!
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...-hockey-jayson-dobay-ian-murphy-thomas-Kramer

Reaction Score
Will Garin has moved to the USHL. Will be playing with Cedar Rapids.

Reaction Score
Connor Mayer has moved to the USHL. After conclusion of Benilde St.Margaret (MN) high school season last week, Mayer now playing for the USHL's Sioux City Musketeers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom