Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
This is HUGE! Snagging kids from BU and UNH! I hope he gets to play this year.

OT: but he's going to be a coyote, eh? We might see our future center for UCONN and then our center for the NHL! How sweet would that be. Follow him the whole way up

Reaction Score
Love the quote about the power play.

One of the biggest changes happening is the mindset within the program. The kids coming in have only known success, expect success and will not settle.

These first two recruiting classes under Cavanaugh will be looked back upon as when the mentality of what was expected within the program changed.

A culture of winning starts with a certain mindset and that mindset is being established.
VERY well put Mac!!!

Reaction Score
Two questions:

What is the feeling regarding if he'll be available for this upcoming season? 50/50?

Also, is it appropriate to put on a Gorbachev mask and pound Stoli after he scores a PP goal?

Reaction Score
Two questions:

What is the feeling regarding if he'll be available for this upcoming season? 50/50?

Also, is it appropriate to put on a Gorbachev mask and pound Stoli after he scores a PP goal?
Seeing the stuff on twitter from college hockey writers...they think he will play this yr..yeah..but if he can do what he did in the USHL you are gonna need a dd or call Uber.

Reaction Score
From sbncollegehockey.com:

Letunov was rated as a 'C' skater by NHL Central Scouting for this year's upcoming NHL Draft. He's a very explosive skater with good hands and hockey sense. The biggest thing holding Letunov back from being an elite player is a lack of physical strength. Central Scouting lists him at 6'2.5" 155 lbs., the lightest USHL player listed by 10 lbs. Once he continues to fill out, Letunov is the type of player with incredible upside.

I'm glad he's here but we'd better get this kid into the gym so he can gain some durability. Skills are great unless your taking a beating and nursing injuries. If he's eligible to play he may be brought along slowly to start the season.

Reaction Score
I'm glad he's here but we'd better get this kid into the gym so he can gain some durability. Skills are great unless your taking a beating and nursing injuries. If he's eligible to play he may be brought along slowly to start the season.
doubtful...he will be one of the top freshman in HE and one of the top players on the team. The USHL although not HE is a highly competitive league where kids get stashed by schools for a post grad year or 2...he will be fine. For what it's worth...he was going to play at BU too.

Reaction Score
Pal this has been the topic of discussion in the men's hockey recruiting thread since Mike Anthony broke the news this morning....
Yeah, but nobody knew because you buried in an 11 page thread.

Don't be a bandwidth miser, check out the basketball and football board, every commit gets his own thread.

Reaction Score
Updated Anthony article: UConn Hockey Lands Highly Rated Russian Player Maxim Letunov

(Buried within and maybe I missed the WTIC piece before --- "Next season, WTIC-1080 is expected to broadcast all of UConn's home games, and Cavanaugh will hold a weekly "Coach's Show" at Dave & Buster's in Manchester.")

This is good. More exposure the better. I hope they talk more about UCONN hockey on the Joe D and Gresh show. They don't know crap about hockey, but at least talk about it and help us market the team. 2000 ST! 500 more than last year and it's only the beginning of August. If we can get 3,000 ST that pretty much guarantees the lower bowl being 1/2 full for all the games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but nobody knew because you buried in an 11 page thread.

Don't be a bandwidth miser, check out the basketball and football board, every commit gets his own thread.
Bandwidth Miser...LMFAO...the discussion is here that's why I moved it...you want to start another one be my guest...the guys who are here on a regular basis started it here and that's where it stayed

Reaction Score
I have put this up before but I will do it again...this is from the MSG Show Beginnings on Brian Boyle...Cav plays a prominent role in the BC portion. It gives you a look into the factor Cav was at BC on a lot of the BC kids who have made it in the NHL...and why this will help recuiting going forward:

Reaction Score
Updated Anthony article: UConn Hockey Lands Highly Rated Russian Player Maxim Letunov

(Buried within and maybe I missed the WTIC piece before --- "Next season, WTIC-1080 is expected to broadcast all of UConn's home games, and Cavanaugh will hold a weekly "Coach's Show" at Dave & Buster's in Manchester.")

This is indeed big news. With the move to Hockey East and all the positive news on the recruiting front, I was wondering if and when WTIC would get around to carrying UConn ice hockey, especially considering all the sporting events that WTIC broadcasts now. To me, deciding to carry the home games is similar to the decision WTIC made when they started carrying several UConn women's basketball games in the early 1990's, which quickly grew to carrying the whole women's schedule. That worked out pretty well for them, and hopefully this will too. It will be interesting to see who WTIC gets to broadcast the hockey games.

Reaction Score
@russbites: ARZ prospect & now incoming UConn fwd Letunov had admission issue w/ BU due to int'l test & I-20. Good GPA & ACT score. Huskies renewed.

Reaction Score
This is indeed big news. With the move to Hockey East and all the positive news on the recruiting front, I was wondering if and when WTIC would get around to carrying UConn ice hockey, especially considering all the sporting events that WTIC broadcasts now. To me, deciding to carry the home games is similar to the decision WTIC made when they started carrying several UConn women's basketball games in the early 1990's, which quickly grew to carrying the whole women's schedule. That worked out pretty well for them, and hopefully this will too. It will be interesting to see who WTIC gets to broadcast the hockey games.
If only they could get Chuck Kaiton to do the play by play...LOL

Reaction Score
Our recent uptick in recruiting will lead to more success on the ice, which in turn will result in better players choosing Cav and UConn on the future. This will be a great ride to the top!

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Allow me to be the first to call Young Mr. Letunov....."Raketa I'da". Welcome to The Ice House, son.

Reaction Score
Connor Mayer playing in the Ivan Hlinka tournament with the USA U-17s in the Czech Republic and Slovakia this week.

dan johnson‏@mnpuckscout 24m24 minutes ago

Connor Mayer @BSMBoysHockey scores to put US U17 up 4-2 in 3rd period#5nations

dan johnson‏@mnpuckscout 13m13 minutes ago

Gopher commit Brannon McManus @shattuckstmarys scores of a rebound from UCONN commit Connor Mayer @BSMBoysHockey to put US ip 5-3# 5NATIONS

Reaction Score
Jeff Cox had Tage Thompson ranked as his number prospect at the Beantown Classic.

UConn freshman forward and late '97 Tage Thompson was far and away the best pro prospect at the event. A US NTDP product, he'll be a rookie for Mike Cavanaugh's Huskies in his draft year. His size, combined with his puck skills, made him a threat each time he was near the puck.

1. Tage Thompson, 6-4/190, 10/30/97, Shoots Right, UConn (Saints #16) - His size and physical tools were just too much for opposing players to handle. He's big and strong and wins just about every battle for a loose puck. He has really good feet for a big guy and has soft hands.

Reaction Score
Chad Krys (Ridgefield, CT) committed to BU today. His father played at BU so he was a long shot to come to UConn.

Will be a top ten draft pick next year. Major, elite defenseman. He is a possible one and done at BU.

Reaction Score
Jeff Cox had Tage Thompson ranked as his number prospect at the Beantown Classic.

UConn freshman forward and late '97 Tage Thompson was far and away the best pro prospect at the event. A US NTDP product, he'll be a rookie for Mike Cavanaugh's Huskies in his draft year. His size, combined with his puck skills, made him a threat each time he was near the puck.

1. Tage Thompson, 6-4/190, 10/30/97, Shoots Right, UConn (Saints #16) - His size and physical tools were just too much for opposing players to handle. He's big and strong and wins just about every battle for a loose puck. He has really good feet for a big guy and has soft hands.

Seems like he put on some serious weight since his commitment. I believe he was around 165 around the time?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom