Official: Mamoudou Diarra to Cinci | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Official: Mamoudou Diarra to Cinci

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They had no idea this kid was a bad fit until the last possible second.

Granted, only one person on the staff had previously recruited him and signed him to a letter of intent seven months ago, so it was understandably a shock when he got off the plane as a center prospect and not the forward prospect that he led them to believe he was.

We really dodged a bullet. Thank God the staff recognized the error and politely put this kid back on a plane so that he could go sign with our overlords in Ohio.

Happy ending for everyone.

Reaction Score
They had no idea this kid was a bad fit until the last possible second.

Granted, only one person on the staff had previously recruited him and signed him to a letter of intent seven months ago, so it was understandably a shock when he got off the plane as a center prospect and not the forward prospect that he led them to believe he was.

We really dodged a bullet. Thank God the staff recognized the error and politely put this kid back on a plane so that he could go sign with our overlords in Ohio.

Happy ending for everyone.

So we are completely 'd. What the is going on in Storrs?

Reaction Score
Ahhhhh, the boneyard. Let's not make this out to be more than it is. This isn't a miss, it's more of parting of ways. UConn only saw one fit, Diarra disagreed, both agreed to move on. Again, I applaud Ollie and co for not repeating past mistakes. Diarra was never a fit here. Giving a ship to him would not have ended well for either party.
Congratulations Kevin Ollie and staff!! Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Definitely. But i dont think things are as bad as they might seem from the outside. I mean saying Cincinnati or seton hall offer better opportunities than UConn is not reality. It just isnt. But with all the transfers and the disaster of a season, its put a negative filter over a still elite basketball program in UConn. I gurantee you if we win and make the tourney next yr our recruiting will pick back up. Would that mean that reality shifted that much in less than a yr? Doubt it

Even if we do put together a good season next year, it's a bit late to put together a good 2018 class. Not impossible, but we'd be scrambling like we are now, unless we get some people signing this fall. Chillous had no problem getting studs signing with UW with a head coach who was clearly on thin ice. He can't even get a three star project to sign at uconn after he already had them committed at UW. Cincy recruited diarra for about 5 minutes and convinced him uconn was a bad choice. This staff has has a lot of work ahead of them to wash this stink off.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Everything is fine.

It's a nice day. Everything is fine. The weekend is here. There's a 5'11" two-star Peruvian power forward with a club foot who's rumored to be a heavy UConn lean. Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Here's an Enya video because that's what relaxed people listen to when everything is fine. Kick up your feet, open that box of chardonnay and let the fineness carry away the troubles that you should not be having because everything is fine.

Not bad, but the 360 degree screen presentation at the end of the movie "Soylent Green" was better.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Tequilla...100% agave until i can forget we hav

Screw it...I'm reaching for the Everclear. A gorgeous UConn co-ed walked up to me at our infamous Lot 13 tailgate prior to the 2014 Final Four championship game and handed me a bottle of Everclear. She never said a word. I guess she felt I looked like I needed it. I took a big swing right from the bottle, handed it back to her and she vanished into eternity. Not exactly, I've since seen her sitting in the second row of the UConn student section on the game replay.

Reaction Score
Considering failing to land him has doomed UConn to permanent damnation, I guess he's decent.
If you spontaneously start bleeding from your eye sockets, you won't die from that bleeding but you will die from what that bleeding is a symptom of.

Keep fighting the good fight, Stain.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Screw it...I'm reaching for the Everclear. A gorgeous UConn co-ed walked up to me at our infamous Lot 13 tailgate prior to the 2014 Final Four championship game and handed me a bottle of Everclear. She never said a word. I guess she felt I looked like I needed it. I took a big swing right from the bottle, handed it back to her and she vanished into eternity. Not exactly, I've since seen her sitting in the second row of the UConn student section on the game replay.

My drink of choice in college.

But yeah....don't drink it straight.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My drink of choice in college.

But yeah....don't drink it straight.

Always mixed with gallons of Kool-Aid and ice in a green bag lined, full size garbage can. If girls will be partying with you then dump $5 worth of cut up oranges in to class it up a bit.

Reaction Score
Always mixed with gallons of Kool-Aid and ice in a green bag lined, full size garbage can. If girls will be partying with you then dump $5 worth of cut up oranges in to class it up a bit.
Ours was ice, Bottle of Everclear, Handle of Dubra, 4 2 liter bottles of sprite, 2 gallons of hawaiin punch.

Reaction Score
Typically when fans downplay missing out on a recruit, they are just backpedaling. In this case, I think the angst is misplaced. It's not incredibly far-fetched to think that the staff decided to play hard ball with the 200th best player in the country, even with the roster being what it is.

We weren't grooming him as a forward prospect here. That would have resulted in him collecting dust on the bench for a year or two behind better players and then transferring out. Clearly, though, Ollie saw something, and what that something is was a center - not particularly earth-shattering considering our situation at the five, but relevant to the recruitment nonetheless. My sense is that if we tell him what he wants to hear - which is what you do when you really want a kid - he is a Husky.

I'm not in the "everything is fine" camp, but we can't have it both ways where it is a disaster that we are settling for kids like this and then it is a disaster when we don't get them. This recruitment was a manifestation of the problem and not the actual problem. As things currently stand, they haven't gotten it done, not on the bench and not on the trail. But using this of all things as grounds for a diagnosis is just a dishonest way to cinch your frustration.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Kevin Ollie and staff!! Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it?
Who is saying Congratulations? Have you already forgotten what happened this past off season with guys disgruntled over their roles? Just last year most on this board were applauding KO on a "great" recruiting class. So much for that. Adding Diarra would simply have been a repeat of the past. A panic move that would probably have not ended well. The thing with a rebuild, especially a philosophy, is that you have to strip it down to nothing first. I am not sure how it will end, but I am encouraged by its start. A start by simply not making the same mistakes of the past. This would have been that.

Reaction Score
Lol is there a way to ignore a thread. This thread is going to be a piling heap of these type of comments

Not opening it remains the most sure way in the history of the internet to avoid a thread that you don't want to read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom