Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Talia Goodman was on a podcast recently talking about Chavez recruitment, believes the list of serious consideration is smaller than her released list today and believes it will come down to Texas and LSU, who are expected to get the last visits and have been set up within the last week

Things were lining up pretty well for Texas from a PG depth perspective to have Chavez step right in come 2025 to be the starting point guard. Rori Harmon would have exhausted her eligibility after having been a 4 year starter at PG since her true freshman season. No other true point guards on the roster (2024 Bryann Preston is not a true PG, IMO, but can play the point).

But, in early December 2023, Harmon suffered an ACL injury. It is believed that Rori will petition for a medical redshirt season so she can play at Texas in 2025-26. I don't think that waiver will be approved by the early signing period come November. So, Chavez and her family won't know Texas' projected PG depth chart for 2025.

Reaction Score
Things were lining up pretty well for Texas from a PG depth perspective to have Chavez step right in come 2025 to be the starting point guard. Rori Harmon would have exhausted her eligibility after having been a 4 year starter at PG since her true freshman season. No other true point guards on the roster (2024 Bryann Preston is not a true PG, IMO, but can play the point).

But, in early December 2023, Harmon suffered an ACL injury. It is believed that Rori will petition for a medical redshirt season so she can play at Texas in 2025-26. I don't think that waiver will be approved by the early signing period come November. So, Chavez and her family won't know Texas' projected PG depth chart for 2025.
I’m surprised they wouldn’t have petitioned already? I’m not that familiar with the redshirt process but I assumed most petitions happened the year the injury occurred?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I’m surprised they wouldn’t have petitioned already? I’m not that familiar with the redshirt process but I assumed most petitions happened the year the injury occurred?

They night have already done it; can't be certain. Texas' Aaliyah Moore who suffered an ACL injury in December 2022 received her waiver (November 2023) to play one additional season in 2025.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

LSU's PG spot is going to be WIDE open for her. :p

Reaction Score

Definitely it’ll be interesting to see

LSU seems pretty desperate for big recruiting news. I don’t see Kim staying around much longer tbh if they flop again in recruiting this 2025 class. She had health issues in the last year and seemed to just send her assistants around instead of traveling in person and doesn’t seem to be hands on with recruiting anymore. If that quality of talent starts to drop off a cliff she will hang it up soon. She has nothing left to prove already and no matter how good of a coach you are you need talent to compete for a national title.

Seems like all their recruiting decision have went to hell in hand basket since Messer left to UCF and was replaced with Redus

Texas has been on a roll recruiting wise and you know the Texas donors are gonna throw the house NIL wise for Chavez

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Definitely it’ll be interesting to see

LSU seems pretty desperate for big recruiting news. I don’t see Kim staying around much longer tbh if they flop again in recruiting this 2025 class. She had health issues in the last year and seemed to just send her assistants around instead of traveling in person and doesn’t seem to be hands on with recruiting anymore. If that quality of talent starts to drop off a cliff she will hang it up soon. She has nothing left to prove already and no matter how good of a coach you are you need talent to compete for a national title.

Seems like all their recruiting decision have went to hell in hand basket since Messer left to UCF and was replaced with Redus

Texas has been on a roll recruiting wise and you know the Texas donors are gonna throw the house NIL wise for Chavez
Kim has been VERY active this summer recruiting.

Reaction Score
Kim has been VERY active this summer recruiting.
I felt like she did very little active recruiting last year. Yeah, she got a top 100 gal out of Louisiana at Pt guard. Then, it looked likes she set her mind on 1, 2, 3 Top Players only and quit scouting or working any other recruits especially in the 10-25 ranks. She failed on all three of those 1, 2, 3 and was left with a one player class (yeah, there is the portal nowadays.)

How many offers has she made to the 2025 class? Bella and maybe a total of ten? Is she over-relying on LSU's reputation of paying megabucks in NIL in hopes of getting top five-ish players?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
LSU's PG spot is going to be WIDE open for her. :p

I actually can't figure out LSU's depth chart at PG. The transfer from Miami will be be gone after this season and I'm assuming she'll be the starter. The in-state freshman PG and the transfer from Arizona are next in line, correct? What about the transfer guard from Miss. State?

Reaction Score
I felt like she did very little active recruiting last year. Yeah, she got a top 100 gal out of Louisiana at Pt guard. Then, it looked likes she set her mind on 1, 2, 3 Top Players only and quit scouting or working any other recruits especially in the 10-25 ranks. She failed on all three of those 1, 2, 3 and was left with a one player class (yeah, there is the portal nowadays.)

How many offers has she made to the 2025 class? Bella and maybe a total of ten? Is she over-relying on LSU's reputation of paying megabucks in NIL in hopes of getting top five-ish players?
I don’t ever recall her recruiting that way at Baylor and she recruited exceptionally well and consistently there for a while. She didn’t do that her first two years at LSU.

I just think she got lazy and their head recruiting coordinator (Redus) got too greedy after the title. The reality is no matter who you are you have to put in the work to land top recruits. Geno and Dawn are persistent every single year

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I actually can't figure out LSU's depth chart at PG. The transfer from Miami will be be gone after this season and I'm assuming she'll be the starter. The in-state freshman PG and the transfer from Arizona are next in line, correct? What about the transfer guard from Miss. State?
I don't think Gilbert will be used at point. She'll be off guard, and Sheppard will be back up. Richard might surprise but think she'll be a project.

Reaction Score
I don't think Gilbert will be used at point. She'll be off guard, and Sheppard will be back up. Richard might surprise but think she'll be a project.
the way LSU uses and loses the transfer portal you better be a damn good generational talent to come in and start otherwise you will be transferring a year later.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
the way LSU uses and loses the transfer portal you better be a damn good generational talent to come in and start otherwise you will be transferring a year later.

I don't think that's accurate. There are plenty of players who signed with LSU out of high school who are sticking with Mulkey for a second and even third season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The highly touted kids who play are more likely to stick. Those buried on the depth chart haven’t. Chavez is playing wherever she lands.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Talia Goodman was on a podcast recently talking about Chavez recruitment, believes the list of serious consideration is smaller than her released list today and believes it will come down to Texas and LSU, who are expected to get the last visits and have been set up within the last week
Do you remember what podcast it was? I'd like to go back and listen to it.

Reaction Score
IMG_6019.jpeg

Have to think USC is the shoe in but interesting list

Reaction Score

Interesting. The daughter of Coach Barnes Arico has received an offer from Coach Staley.

Wow. Didn't expect that news. I'm a Michigan alum and live in Ann Arbor but Dawn Staley's Gamecocks are my team, though I do watch and support my Wolverines. Staley and Coach KBA go back together to even before the days when Staley was at Temple and KBA was at St. John's and the two also coached together on at least one of the USA Basketball teams. Arico, a rising sophomore, also has offers from SMU coach Toyelle Wilson who was an assistant on KBA's staff before she went to SMU and from Tartamella/St. John's.

Reaction Score
Wow. Didn't expect that news. I'm a Michigan alum and live in Ann Arbor but Dawn Staley's Gamecocks are my team, though I do watch and support my Wolverines. Staley and Coach KBA go back together to even before the days when Staley was at Temple and KBA was at St. John's and the two also coached together on at least one of the USA Basketball teams. Arico, a rising sophomore, also has offers from SMU coach Toyelle Wilson who was an assistant on KBA's staff before she went to SMU and from Tartamella/St. John's.
Neither did I. Her older daughter opted to play lacrosse at Michigan I believe. Wonder who else other than SMU have offered to see what her options are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom