Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, it's obvious that your objective on this board is to paint Texas and its former players in the worst possible light.

Your "story", while entertaining, has so many holes in it that I could drive a semi-truck right through it. And, it's actually completely untrue. Lots of schools have signed players out of Duncanville since Self-Morgan became the head coach. Baylor has not; so, what you should have posted was that Mulkey burned some bridges at Duncanville as that is actually more plausible.

To further refute your lies, here are some Duncanville players who signed with schools other than Texas after Self-Morgan took over:

Julie Lake - Texas Tech
Tamika Catchings - Tennessee
Cierra Johnson - Louisville
Zaay Green - Tennessee
Aniyah Thomas - Kansas
Nyah Green - Louisville
Deja Kelly - North Carolina

I'm sure there are more. You will just have to accept that Mulkey wasn't able to add any of the DHS players to her rosters at Baylor based solely on her own doing.

Hannah Gusters would have been another Duncanville affiliate but she had to transfer to Irving MacArthur in order to commit to Baylor :?

Reaction Score
Or, you could just say that Muley has had zero success recruiting Duncanville players instead of circumventing the obvious, and blaming Texas for her inability to recruit that school . . .
Hannah Gusters would have been another Duncanville affiliate but she had to transfer to Irving MacArthur in order to commit to Baylor :?
She didn't have to transfer, she wanted to. There was some weird stuff going on in Duncanville at that time. Deja Kelly, I believe, was in the middle of the mess too. I don't know the intimate details but there was definitely something going on that exposed some problems within that school. But other people know way more than me.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well Cathy Self-Morgan was one of the first ever scholarship wbb basketball players at Texas so the burnt orange roots run very deep.
I can't argue with those statements. Nor do I have any bone to pick with you. And, I don't think you can argue with my statements below.

There's a former Baylor hoopster named Suzie Oelschlegle, who coaches girls basketbal at MacArthur High School in Irving, TX. She has coached four super-elite girls high school players there -- Odyssey Sims, Alexis Jones, Sarah Andrews, and Hannah Gusters. All of them ended up at Baylor; Texas, nor any WBB college program across the country has been able to put a chink in that armored trail (unless you count the one-year diversion Alexis spent at Duke before transferring to Baylor). 100% of her elite players ended up at Baylor; that dwarfs the percent of the elite Duncanville players who ended up attending Texas.

And, of all the players at Duncanville and MacArthur who might have tried to change highs schools (regardless of the reasons), only one was denied immediately eligibility -- Hannah Gusters -- as her reasons for transferring were deemed purely for athletic reasons.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with those statements. Nor do I have any bone to pick with you. And, I don't think you can argue with my statements below.

There's a former Baylor hoopster named Suzie Oelschlegle, who coaches girls basketbal at MacArthur High School in Irving, TX. She has coached four super-elite girls high school players there -- Odyssey Sims, Alexis Jones, Sarah Andrews, and Hannah Gusters. All of them ended up at Baylor; Texas, nor any WBB college program across the country has been able to put a chink in that armored trail (unless you count the one-year diversion Alexis spent at Duke before transferring to Baylor). 100% of her elite players ended up at Baylor; that dwarfs the percent of the elite Duncanville players who ended up attending Texas.

And, of all the players at Duncanville and MacArthur who might have tried to change highs schools (regardless of the reasons), only one was denied immediately eligibility -- Hannah Gusters -- as her reasons for transferring were deemed purely for athletic reasons.
Nope. No bone to pick here either. Just pointing out the obvious. If it's not illegal to have some influence because of you're alma mater. Then it should be no surprise that it plays into a players decision making process.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is enough sample size. 2 seasons minus big T- Results were not the same is 2017 + 2018 . Why is this flawed ? btw..congrats for removing ole Johnny Reb from your state Flag...thats big!!!

Thanks! Removing the flag was long overdue. I'd say that the level of talent in Vic's first few years should be a big consideration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Serious and not starting a flame war.

Schaefer was 80-110, 1 winning season, 0 post-seasons in 7 years at SHSU [first HC job]. SHSU is a better job than Gary Blair had at SFASU [same conference] yet Blair created a perennial Top 25 team and Schaefer never had sustained success. At MSU, Schaefer was 62-38 in 3 seasons [1 Post season] before McCowan & 27-6 [2020 season] after McCowan. Good but not overwhelming.

Comment regarding Schaefer in original post was made b/c Horns are again repeatedly publicly claiming that they will now be winning the recruiting battles against Baylor [same as they did when Coach G and Coach Aston arrived]. For the past 12ish years, Baylor has rarely lost recruiting battles on recruits in Texas, Arkansas & Louisiana. The losses stick out: M. Jefferson & C. Williams to UConn, B. Turner to Notre Dame, C. Collier to Texas [not a huge loss b/c Baylor had her and Egbo rated similarly and only planned to take one], N. Ogwumike to Stanford, and Wolfenbarger to Arkansas. Schaefer and Blair never won a recruiting battle on a major recruit against Baylor at TAMU, not seeing a reason that will change.

Schaefer had a nice run with McCowan anchoring the D. Simply not sure he can repeat that level of success. Objectively verifiable data [wins & losses] doesn’t scream predictable results.
Let's see here.

Brand new poster emerges out of nowhere ...
... just to unload long-winded arguments about how Schaefer's success at MSU was a fluke ...

Yep, someone's nervous.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Let's see here.

Brand new poster emerges out of nowhere ...
... just to unload long-winded arguments about how Schaefer's success at MSU was a fluke ...

Yep, someone's nervous.
Things I like most about Schaefer (even before he was hired by Texas):

- Beat Kim Mulkey in the 2017 Regional Final
- Beat Geno Auriemma in the 2017 Final Four
- Beat Jeff Walz in the 2018 Final Four

Did he outcoach those head coaches? That's purely subjective. But, you can't take those wins away from him; he earned them. Can't think of many other active head coaches who own wins over those 3 head coaches (maybe Tara Vandeveer and Dawn Staley) . . .

Reaction Score
Some one on the Lady Vols board did this.

Davis = MJ
Horston= Pippen
Rennie = Kerr
Burrell = Rodman
Key = Longley

Said they would build the team like Phil Jackson did with the Bulls. Uhhhh............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Davis = MJ
Horston= Pippen
Rennie = Kerr
Burrell = Rodman
Key = Longley
Said they would build the team like Phil Jackson did with the Bulls. Uhhhh............
I can see that! Very disrespectful and forgetful though, Kasiyahna Kushkituah is obviously Horace Grant. :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Davis = MJ
Horston= Pippen
Rennie = Kerr
Burrell = Rodman
Key = Longley

and I thought Gary Payton was a stretch

1593700990064.png

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Davis = MJ
Horston= Pippen
Rennie = Kerr
Burrell = Rodman
Key = Longley

Davis would have to be the best player in WCBB...I am not sure she is the best player on her team. Delusional.....

Reaction Score
FYI.... the lady vol fans think the recruiting class will give them national attention. But it didn’t say good or bad

Reaction Score
FYI.... the lady vol fans think the recruiting class will give them national attention. But it didn’t say good or bad
They needed a large class, which they got.
And they're quality players. But if they want to catch South Carolina, Kellie will HAVE TO recruit top 10 players. I don't see any practical way around it. There's just too much of a difference, in level of play, between consensus #40-60 players and top 10.

Reaction Score

They have a very good recruiting class and is exactly what Kelly needed considering the losses they have had and losing Davis after this year. In terms of competing for a SEC title and competing with the likes of UCONN, Baylor, SC, Oregon, Stanford, etc they will need more top 10 and top 20 players in the future.

Reaction Score

They have a solid class but some their fans have over-hyped it and said that they have the top 3 ranked class in the nation. There isn't any consensus top 10 or top 25 players in that class.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They needed a large class, which they got.
And they're quality players. But if they want to catch South Carolina, Kellie will HAVE TO recruit top 10 players. I don't see any practical way around it. There's just too much of a difference, in level of play, between consensus #40-60 players and top 10.
True but, that did not prevent MS from reaching the FF two consecutive years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom