Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
200.gif

that little state school? Theres the shade
Gotcha!! Lol

Reaction Score
Mulkey loses them just like everyone else. The one I remember most goes way back and started a bitter rivalry/war (with the coaches at least) with that little state school in south Louisiana. Allison Hightower from Dallas. Seemed like a really good kid that got caught up in a bunch of coach drama.

Hightower was a few years prior to the window of time being discussed. And Mulkey hated Hokey Pokey for many reasons.

Reaction Score
And, Baylor did lose the recruiting battle to Texas for Ariel Atkins. You can add her to the "early" Baylor offer list, as well as Brianna Turner.

Baylor, like every school that wasn’t UT, avoided Duncanville HS [Atkins’ HS] during the tenure of Cathy Self-Morgan. Morgan made it very clear that other schools were not welcomed to recruit her players if UT was recruiting them. The UIL finally caught up with her illegal recruitment of players to Duncanville, she got forced out, and magically every school is now welcomed to recruit at Duncanville. Turner was previously mentioned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor, like every school that wasn’t UT, avoided Duncanville HS [Atkins’ HS] during the tenure of Cathy Self-Morgan. Morgan made it very clear that other schools were not welcomed to recruit her players if UT was recruiting them. The UIL finally caught up with her illegal recruitment of players to Duncanville, she got forced out, and magically every school is now welcomed to recruit at Duncanville. Turner was previously mentioned.
Welcome to the BY. You appear to have an almost "insider" knowledge of the Baylor program as it relates to Baylor recruiting targets. What is your connection to that program? I'm asking not because I'm skeptical but because we have posters here pretending to have insider knowledge only to disappear after a few short days.

Reaction Score
Are you sure? I seem to recall mutual interest during her recruitment.

Mutual Interest: yes. Offer: no.
Baylor wanted one post & had Brown rated higher. Thought that they would land Brown. Thus, didn’t offer Jones. In hind sight, Jones had a far superior freshman season.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the BY. You appear to have an almost "insider" knowledge of the Baylor program as it relates to Baylor recruiting targets. What is your connection to that program? I'm asking not because I'm skeptical but because we have posters here pretending to have insider knowledge only to disappear after a few short days.

Several long-standing relationships [program, department, younger player development] have become more active after I moved back to the States. Hard work & some good luck have allowed me to help finance women’s sports at many levels. Women's basketball in Texas has trekked a very convoluted route: Wayland Baptist to UT to Tech to Baylor.

Reaction Score
I do too. Baylor was one of her final four choices.

I think Jones received the typical “contingent” scholarship offer that most notable recruits get from most top programs......subject to sufficient academic progress, sufficient athletic progress, scholarship availability, outstanding offers, etc. School keeps foot in door, player can promote “offers”. My recollection is that by the time Jones took her Official Visits, none of them were to in-state programs.

As an aside, tracking commitable offers for private school players like Jones is far more difficult since they don’t fall within the parameters/protocols of the THSCA Straight Line Recruiting Initiative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've read many of his/her posts and I'm pretty sure they are not a Baylor fan but a fan of the program, if that makes sense. Definitely has an ear to the ground when it comes to AAU programs and players in Texas. Just my humble opinion and observation.

Reaction Score
Baylor pitched Wolfenbarger as a Wing/3. She has a “very highly involved” Mother who wanted to be heavily involved in the ongoing development. That desired “involvement” was an issue. Dauda is seen as capable of playing as a FaceUp 4 or Big 3.
The juxtaposition of these two comments made me literally lol. Dauda's recruitment runs entirely through her dad. Jersey's mom has been no more involved than any player's mom. Not that she's not a part of it -- she is. But she is not some kind of "outlier" in the process who needed handling.

Baylor wasn't even Jersey's #2 school. Baylor is a great program with a very strong staff. They just didn't click as well with Jersey's as the Arkansas or Oregon staffs. Blaming that on her mom is ... weird.

Reaction Score
Schaefer has never coached a team without Teaira McCowan to a win in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney.
This is pretty misleading, if technically true. The 2016 team made the Sweet 16. McCowan averaged about 13 min/g for that team (though she was on it). She was hardly what got them past the 2nd round. And the 2020, first McCowan-less team was pretty likely to make the second weekend, as well, until the COVID shutdown. So, your facts are right, but the conclusion you're trying to draw from them is kind of dubious, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Schaefer had a nice run with McCowan anchoring the D. Simply not sure he can repeat that level of success. Objectively verifiable data [wins & losses] doesn’t scream predictable results.

Using objectively verifiable data is helpful, but you need to control for more variables than the absence or addition of Teaira McCowan.

Reaction Score
How could this be the case , when Tamika Catchings came from Duncanville ? Zay Greene as well both played under Cathy as well . Did she make exceptions ? Not saying the story is not true just wondering ? I live in Duncanville and she was around for a while . She had power with all the state titles she had won so i can believe if it is true.

Reaction Score
Using objectively verifiable data is helpful, but you need to control for more variables than the absence or addition of Teaira McCowan.
Perhaps this is enough sample size. 2 seasons minus big T- Results were not the same is 2017 + 2018 . Why is this flawed ? btw..congrats for removing ole Johnny Reb from your state Flag...thats big!!!

Reaction Score
How could this be the case , when Tamika Catchings came from Duncanville ? Zay Greene as well both played under Cathy as well . Did she make exceptions ? Not saying the story is not true just wondering ? I live in Duncanville and she was around for a while . She had power with all the state titles she had won so i can believe if it is true.

The Lady Vols were already heavily entrenched in recruiting Catchings before she moved to Texas for her Junior year in HS. Self-Morgan was already under investigation and heavy scrutiny when Green committed/signed. That school year is when Deja Kelly transferred into Duncanville [amid cries of recruiting] and Hannah Gusters transferred out of Duncanville [and the resulting storm which lead to the UIL mandated investigation that lead to Self-Morgan’s resignation in lieu of termination and 3 year ban from coaching].

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, it's obvious that your objective on this board is to paint Texas and its former players in the worst possible light.

Your "story", while entertaining, has so many holes in it that I could drive a semi-truck right through it. And, it's actually completely untrue. Lots of schools have signed players out of Duncanville since Self-Morgan became the head coach. Baylor has not; so, what you should have posted was that Mulkey burned some bridges at Duncanville as that is actually more plausible.

To further refute your lies, here are some Duncanville players who signed with schools other than Texas after Self-Morgan took over:

Julie Lake - Texas Tech
Tamika Catchings - Tennessee
Cierra Johnson - Louisville
Zaay Green - Tennessee
Aniyah Thomas - Kansas
Nyah Green - Louisville
Deja Kelly - North Carolina

I'm sure there are more. You will just have to accept that Mulkey wasn't able to add any of the DHS players to her rosters at Baylor based solely on her own doing.

Reaction Score
FYI, for a decent explanation of the type of program that Self-Morgan was running at Duncanville, read this article: Investigation into ex-Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan finds 'insufficient credible evidence' of recruiting Duncanville ISD‘s whitewash didn’t work and the UIL dropped the hammer soon thereafter.
Pay particular attention to the PDFs attached at the end of the article [particularly the texts between Self-Morgan and Earl Rooks ( the AAU coach feeding her players) and the quid pro quo/monetary incentives]. Also note that Self-Morgan was UT’s first female scholarship athlete in any sport and unofficially acted as UT’s point person in many areas over the years.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Taylor Jones another Texas prospect Baylor didn't get.
I don't think Taylor Jones was an "early" offer by Baylor, if she did get one.

But, there have been a lot more "early" offers handed out by Mulkey than one poster wants us to believe; I'm not sure why it even matters when they were offered, or how many were offered. While no coach signs every player they want, in the end, all that matters is if you sign enough of them to help you win.

Off the top of my head, these were players in the state of Texas with "early" offers from Mulkey (can probably add a bunch more from out of state):

Allison Hightower
Recee Caldwell
Odyssey Sims
Brittney Griner
Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Brooklyn Pope
Alexis Jones
Kalani Brown (Louisiana)
Alexis Morris
Lauren Cox
Nalyssa Smith
Aquira DeCosta (California)
Nyah Green
Hannah Gusters
Sara Andrews
Adlee Blacklock
Sammie Wagner

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Julie Lake - Texas Tech. UT tried but the cultural problems killed that recruitment.
Tamika Catchings - Tennessee. Locked into Lady Vols before arriving at Duncanville.
Cierra Johnson - Louisville. UT passed on her, took Joyner Holmes.
Zaay Green - Tennessee. Contemporaneous with investigation/resignation.
Aniyah Thomas - Kansas. Contemporaneous with investigation/resignation.
Nyah Green - Louisville After investigation/resignation.
Deja Kelly - North Carolina After investigation/resignation.

Any other examples?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Julie Lake - Texas Tech. UT tried but the cultural problems killed that recruitment.
Tamika Catchings - Tennessee. Locked into Lady Vols before arriving at Duncanville.
Cierra Johnson - Louisville. UT passed on her, took Joyner Holmes.
Zaay Green - Tennessee. Contemporaneous with investigation/resignation.
Aniyah Thomas - Kansas. Contemporaneous with investigation/resignation.
Nyah Green - Louisville After investigation/resignation.
Deja Kelly - North Carolina After investigation/resignation.

Any other examples?
Or, you could just say that Muley has had zero success recruiting Duncanville players instead of circumventing the obvious, and blaming Texas for her inability to recruit that school . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul