Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another blockbuster class; great way to make up for the one player class this year
I think the Gamecocks made a smart decision by recruiting a small 2020 class, so I wouldn't say "make up." Dawn must have sold to them that they will probably coming off the bench for two years behind the 2019 recruits. Their positions match up with that notion.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think the Gamecocks made a smart decision by recruiting a small 2020 class, so I wouldn't say "make up." Dawn must have sold to them that they will probably coming off the bench for two years behind the 2019 recruits. Their positions match up with that notion.

Bingo, we almost never follow a big class with another big class. 2022 will be a 1 or 2 player class.... and it’ll probably be a post player because 2023 is looking big for us again.

Reaction Score
Dawn must have sold to them that they will probably coming off the bench for two years behind the 2019 recruits. Their positions match up with that notion.

Or the best player plays, regardless of class, lots of development between now and when the '21s arrive. I cant imagine any high level coach saying "hey come with us, but youll have to wait two years to start."

Reaction Score
Or the best player plays, regardless of class, lots of development between now and when the '21s arrive. I cant imagine any high level coach saying "hey come with us, but youll have to wait two years to start."

Probably more along the lines of this approach - even Coates and Wilson didn't start their first years at USC, while they both averaged 20+ mpg - even Coates came off the bench her first two years, and finished as one of the most decorated Gamecocks in program history, perhaps only behind Wilson and Mitchell. Then there are the occasions of Harris, Boston, Cooke, and Beal who had others ahead of them but earned becoming regular starters as freshman through their ability to compete (probably Boston argues the most against this, as there really wasn't a true center on roster for her to have to play through. Luckily that didn't hurt the team :D ).

I think Staley and the staff have proven that even if you do not start, you will get ample playing opportunity to impact the team if you warrant it, but if you DO prove being a capable starter, even as a freshman you will get that opportunity as well at USC...

Reaction Score
Bingo, we almost never follow a big class with another big class. 2022 will be a 1 or 2 player class.... and it’ll probably be a post player because 2023 is looking big for us again.
Who all holds an offer from South Car in the 22 class? I know Nnaji does, and I can’t imagine Dawn not taking a look at Watkins, will she look to add both ?

Reaction Score
Who all holds an offer from South Car in the 22 class? I know Nnaji does, and I can’t imagine Dawn not taking a look at Watkins, will she look to add both ?

2022 Targets for South Carolina are projected as:

#3 6-2 W Ayanna Patterson - offer: YES
#8 Maya Nnaji - offer: YES
#9 KK Bransford - offer: YES
#12 Ashlyn Watkins - offer: YES
#20 Shay Bollin - offer: YES
#25 Talaysia Cooper - offer: YES
#27 Lazaria Spearman - offer: YES
#39 Nyla Harris - offer: YES
NR Maliyiah Mason - offer: YES

Reaction Score
Jasmine Shavers is committing tomorrow, per her Twitter. Does anyone have an idea of what she is leaning towards? I hadn’t seen her finalist list, although I’m sure there is one.

Reaction Score
I dont think she just says that either. I'm sure she tells the recruits and her current players that the best player will start. If the current starting lineup isn't better than the recruits in 2021, than they shouldn't start. That's what happened at SC this year. But those freshman were all elite top 10 kids.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Jasmine Shavers is committing tomorrow, per her Twitter. Does anyone have an idea of what she is leaning towards? I hadn’t seen her finalist list, although I’m sure there is one.
I’ve heard MS State.

Reaction Score
I get it what you’re saying, but that makes ZERO sense though. Coaches take the best players in the class regardless of what they already have. In the end it works out. The class immediately after 2019 will one have one year without them there so I could see why no recruits would want to be there with all that talent. The following class (2021) will have two years of eligibility once that class leaves to prove themselves so I think that’s the more logical way to think.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
2022 Targets for South Carolina are projected as:

#3 6-2 W Ayanna Patterson - offer: YES
#8 Maya Nnaji - offer: YES
#9 KK Bransford - offer: YES
#12 Ashlyn Watkins - offer: YES
#20 Shay Bollin - offer: YES
#25 Talaysia Cooper - offer: YES
#27 Lazaria Spearman - offer: YES
#39 Nyla Harris - offer: YES
NR Maliyiah Mason - offer: YES

Janiah Barker as well. I know of at least two times our coaching staff has looked at her closely.. hard to believe we haven’t offered by now.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I get it what you’re saying, but that makes ZERO sense though. Coaches take the best players in the class regardless of what they already have. In the end it works out. The class immediately after 2019 will one have one year without them there so I could see why no recruits would want to be there with all that talent. The following class (2021) will have two years of eligibility once that class leaves to prove themselves so I think that’s the more logical way to think.
..or....they say I could come in as a freshman, possibly win a championship and get playing time because of rotation and the blow outs that are likely to come their way. Dawn is not most coaches. I think that was a problem with what Holly did with the highly ranked Tennessee classes. She took the highest ranked players and then they transferred because they didn't mesh. It would be a foolish mistake to take players just based on ranking and throw them into the mix. That's why Cooper left Tennessee and South Carolina and she finally realized that Baylor was her last shot before she stopped being a disrupter in the program. She was poison as a team player. That's the chance you take in the "best player available regardless".

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If my social media detective work is on par, Texas could be receiving a 2021 verbal commitment either today or tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard MS State.
I heard we were in it, so I’m hoping you’re right. Recruiting talk (really for all sports) has been quiet here with the push to (finally, for the love) change our state flag. The entire athletic department loaded up an MSU bus and drove to JXN yesterday to speak and lobby for a change.

Reaction Score

Hopefully, 1 spot is instate Ashlyn Watkins.

I think you probably take another interior player who is two good to turn down, but that would be fine.

I'm just going to say that barring a lot of roster turnover, you'd have to be a mighty confident guard to sign up for the 2022 class at South Carolina.

Anyway, here is Watkins having fun with the next great instate player giving her feeds.

Reaction Score
..or....they say I could come in as a freshman, possibly win a championship and get playing time because of rotation and the blow outs that are likely to come their way. Dawn is not most coaches. I think that was a problem with what Holly did with the highly ranked Tennessee classes. She took the highest ranked players and then they transferred because they didn't mesh. It would be a foolish mistake to take players just based on ranking and throw them into the mix. That's why Cooper left Tennessee and South Carolina and she finally realized that Baylor was her last shot before she stopped being a disrupter in the program. She was poison as a team player. That's the chance you take in the "best player available regardless".
South Carolina were among the final or narrowed list of Angel Reese(#2), Diamond Johnson(#6), Sydney Parrish (#8), Sarah Andrews (#12) Hannah Gusters (#16) Treasure Hunt(#29)—they also recruited Madison Hayes, Kamilla Cardodo, Olivia Cochran ...I’m sure there’s more —if multiple of these players had committed South Carolina, there probably would not have been that many players in this 2021 class. So like I said it kind of just works out that way

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't shoot worth a flying flip. Won't have to be guarded on the perimeter. Free throw percent is low if she drives and gets fouled. But, she's fast and a good ball handler.

She averaged 21.7 points a game last year...but not in the state's top 50...

ESPN 2019

USJN-July 2019:
Jet-quick floor-leader with explosive attack in uptempo game; physical off the dribble, pushes tempo under control and distributes; 1 on 1 creator collapses the defense, gets to the rim with consistency; 3-point opportunist; a stock-riser in the class of 2021.

Raatz-Fence-OSheas Classic-January 2020: Athletic lead-guard with unselfish persona motors in transition game; a speed merchant, tough to contain in the open court, breaks down the defense, finishes plays to the rim, passes in traffic; a defensive menace; one of the fastest prospects in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cooper didn't leave Tennessee of her own accord; she was dismissed from Tennessee for violating team rules.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Cooper didn't leave Tennessee of her own accord; she was dismissed from Tennessee for violating team rules.
I did not say why she left...but she left. She was not a "team" player at Tennessee or South Carolina..it was all about her...hence she left whether it was her idea or not.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
South Carolina were among the final or narrowed list of Angel Reese(#2), Diamond Johnson(#6), Sydney Parrish (#8), Sarah Andrews (#12) Hannah Gusters (#16) Treasure Hunt(#29)—they also recruited Madison Hayes, Kamilla Cardodo, Olivia Cochran ...I’m sure there’s more —if multiple of these players had committed South Carolina, there probably would not have been that many players in this 2021 class. So like I said it kind of just works out that way
I am sure she recruited players that she felt would be a fit in her program. Most of these kids are good kids...but she nor any other coach is going to take a recruit without doing the due diligence. If you think she would take a player based on rankings alone....you are very wrong. There are some who may...but not Dawn at this stage of her programs rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom