Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You could say UConn fans instead of being passive aggressive about it but it's not good look to attack someone on their own board. Most of them don't post over here since the general board was created to separate UConn topics from non-UConn topics.

It was a good bit of CT fans but also TN and UNC fans who chipped in as well. Wilson had a final 4 for a good while at the end. TN fans also had their jollies filled over Kaela Davis and her mom, and while Mrs. Davis did have a tweet or two that could be called mildly "salty" during Kaela's time at USC, for the vast part Kaela AND her mom's association with the USC WBB program has been nothing but gracious and greatly appreciated by the Gamecock fanbase. Nothing at all like the manipulative monsters they were made out to be by the Vols fans. Perhaps that had to do more with TN, than with the Davis family.

And now a TN fan gets this started. I'm just saying that it seems there's enough to equally go around for all fanbases, to be pointing fingers at just 1 or 2 here, at suspiciously convenient times for them.....

Reaction Score
I think the known list of '21 players with S.C. interest are Fudd, Rivers, Feagin, Key, Raven Johnson, Bree Hall and Philly guard Destiny McPhaul.

we may or may not be involved with Hollingshead (Ga player at position of need) but I do not think there has been any report of mutual interest.

we'd be shocked as anyone if it was Fudd, I think.

One or more could be 2022s (Instates Ashlyn Watkins or Talaysia Cooper?) and I guess it's possible a transfer for depth could be one, though I have no clue who that would be. But those are usually a surprise.

I would actually like to see a graduate transfer big - someone who could play immediately next season - come in for 2020-21, to provide some depth behind Boston. We'll also have 6-4 Amihere, and I imagine either 6-2 Grissett or 6-2 Saxton will take Herbert-Harrigan's spot at the 4, and both are as capable rebounders as Kiki was, and may even be more consistent. So with Boston and Grissett/Saxton at the 5 and 4, and Amihere and Grissett/Saxton providing support at both positions, we should be fine. But depth is always a good thing I guess.

I also agree on a possible 2022 commit, but Coach Staley hasn't had the track record of taking commits way early in the process. So if this is the case, then this Coach must truly love this kid.

If all 4 probable commits Dawn's been tweeting about for 2021 are part of the 2021 cycle - and no one transfers out - then her program could conceivably have 12 former 5* players on it for 2021-22:

Henderson (Sr.)
Saxton (Sr.)
Littleton (Sr.)
Boston (Jr.)
Cooke (Jr.)
Beal (Jr.)
Amihere (Jr.)
Russell (So.)
Commit #1 (Fr.)
Commit #2 (Fr.)
Commit #3 (Fr.)
Commit #4 (Fr.)

That's crazy. Has there been a WBB program that has had that before?

Reaction Score
I would actually like to see a graduate transfer big - someone who could play immediately next season - come in for 2020-21, to provide some depth behind Boston. We'll also have 6-4 Amihere, and I imagine either 6-2 Grissett or 6-2 Saxton will take Herbert-Harrigan's spot at the 4, and both are as capable rebounders as Kiki was, and may even be more consistent. So with Boston and Grissett/Saxton at the 5 and 4, and Amihere and Grissett/Saxton providing support at both positions, we should be fine. But depth is always a good thing I guess.

I also agree on a possible 2022 commit, but Coach Staley hasn't had the track record of taking commits way early in the process. So if this is the case, then this Coach must truly love this kid.

If all 4 probable commits Dawn's been tweeting about for 2021 are part of the 2021 cycle - and no one transfers out - then her program could conceivably have 12 former 5* players on it for 2021-22:

Henderson (Sr.)
Saxton (Sr.)
Littleton (Sr.)
Boston (Jr.)
Cooke (Jr.)
Beal (Jr.)
Amihere (Jr.)
Russell (So.)
Commit #1 (Fr.)
Commit #2 (Fr.)
Commit #3 (Fr.)
Commit #4 (Fr.)

That's crazy. Has there been a WBB program that has had that before?

I'd think there probably has been.

Reaction Score
what about Jillian Hollingshead? are both Key and Feagin that much better then her?

Sorrry, I know the least about Hollingshead.

I'd like to see her side by side with the other two or see some AAU footage.

my impression is that she's bigger than Feagin and Key and more of a 5 with good range than a 4/3. That's not how Dan Olson seems to see her though.

Reaction Score
Sorrry, I know the least about Hollingshead.

I'd like to see her side by side with the other two or see some AAU footage.

my impression is that she's bigger than Feagin and Key and more of a 5 with good range than a 4/3. That's not how Dan Olson seems to see her though.
Yeah she seems to be a little bit of a mystery. Has she put out a listing of top schools yet?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I read that Business Insider article a couple weeks ago and was shocked, to say the least. Disgusting behavior, regardless of what team you root for. To a lesser degree, Dawn Staley's stoking the fires certainly didnt help the cause. And why, for what? Because the author did not include a South Carolina player in her article of top players for the 2020 tourney. Wow, not a good look for yall.
I will tell you for a fact (as someone who played sports for several years) a player or recruit will be drawn to a coach who defends her players and their program. If you think Dawn being upset about that is negative ? Then you are not living in the real world !

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is just not true, but keep on flogging it. He recruited and then re-recruited Plum, who only stayed because Neighbors was hired. He recruited McDonald, Melgoza, Garcia, Kierra Collier, Romeo, and Strother. Injuries ruined some of their careers, and some transferred away after he left, but to say he recruited no talent is just untrue.
Actually, it is true-look at the roster that Jodie Wynn inherited, completely void of any talent. McDonald, Melgoza transferred, Romero had transferred in from the Yori situation at Nebraska and did not play her senior year. The other 2/3 that you mentioned, I can't find any meaningful stats so not sure I agree on "talent". He left the program bare. If you want to give him credit for keeping McGuff's recruits, go at it but he simply did not build that program. I will say he does seem to be doing a better job at Arkansas than he did at Washington and much better than Dykes ever did.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Actually, it is true-look at the roster that Jodie Wynn inherited, completely void of any talent. McDonald, Melgoza transferred, Romero had transferred in from the Yori situation at Nebraska and did not play her senior year. The other 2/3 that you mentioned, I can't find any meaningful stats so not sure I agree on "talent". He left the program bare.

Melgoza didn't transfer, she was by far and away their best player all 3 years Wynn has been the coach. Collier transferred to Drake after 1 year at UW and was a decent contributor this last season. Strother was a former McDonald's AA. Her stats were modest her Fr. and Soph season, but she had flashes of potential as a soph. She never played again after that. Garcia never played, ever, except a few seconds during the opening tip and then the tail end of the game on Senior Day. I don't know what she could've brought to the table, but some said she was a solid 6-2 forward.

Certainly UW was going to be short on talent regardless when Wynn took over, but they also had a ridiculous rash of injuries. Romeo, Strother and a pair of RS Sr. guards who were both part of the Final 4 team--Ruiz and Kingma--were forced to retire due to injuries. Romeo was a double figure scorer both years at Nebraska, and while she didn't score a ton during Plum's Sr. year (about 9 ppg) she did have a 25 and 30 point outburst that season. And she was a dangerous 3 point shooter, something UW was lacking. Strother would've provided them something else they were desperately in need of--size. Ruiz and Kingma were never big scorers, but at least they were experienced. 2 former walk ons--Moser and Wieburg--ended up playing big minutes Wynn's first year. I gotta think a pair of veterans would've been better. I won't make a prediction on number of wins, but there's no doubt UW would've been more competitive that season if those 4 players were available.

Anyway like I said I'm past blaming Neighbors, UW has continued to struggle and it's all on Wynn now. She has to recruit better, they just don't have the talent to beat many Pac 12 teams and she's heading into year 4. I see no reason for optimism in 20-21 w/ Melgoza graduated.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This recruiting thread has gone downhill fast. May be time to start over with a clean slate in the near future

Might suggest following the lead of the UConn recruiting thread and start up every month. This is 30+ pages at this point and June might be a good time for a more condensed thread.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Hadn’t this been expected? I thought I read somewhere that Tennessee felt pretty good about landing her. Regardless great recruit. Congratulations.

Yes, but she was abnormally quiet in her recruitment.

I think expectations have been Puckett and Key to finish out our class with a PG—either Miles, McPherson, or Gordon. Hollingshead and Bartlett maybe, but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom