Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
<insert head scratch>

(Randomly checks Louisville roster??)

This is a head-scratcher for me also. I know that she will redshirt this upcoming season. But competition for playing time in 2021 and following seasons will be brutal. I'm sure that she went into this with eyes open, especially following the recent transfers of in-state players Duvall and Robins.

Here's my best guess. Walz found a diamond in the rough four years ago in Bionca Dunham. I believe that Louisville was her only D-1 offer. Walz saw a big with potential. He asked her to redshirt but she wanted to play immediately. She admitted as a senior that she should have taken the redshirt. She improved dramatically over her four years. Maybe a similar project here?

Reaction Score
This is a head-scratcher for me also. I know that she will redshirt this upcoming season. But competition for playing time in 2021 and following seasons will be brutal. I'm sure that she went into this with eyes open, especially following the recent transfers of in-state players Duvall and Robins.

Here's my best guess. Walz found a diamond in the rough four years ago in Bionca Dunham. I believe that Louisville was her only D-1 offer. Walz saw a big with potential. He asked her to redshirt but she wanted to play immediately. She admitted as a senior that she should have taken the redshirt. She improved dramatically over her four years. Maybe a similar project here?
I just think it’s probably her dream school because she’s from Kentucky. She’s young enough to have been a little kid and see the program rise to a perennial power. Probably single digit age when Angel led them to final four. Preteen during Shoni’s time and teenager during Asia Durr’s time. That’s my guess

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
<insert head scratch>
(Randomly checks Louisville roster??)

I just think it’s probably her dream school because she’s from Kentucky. She’s young enough to have been a little kid and see the program rise to a perennial power. Probably single digit age when Angel led them to final four. Preteen during Shoni’s time and teenager during Asia Durr’s time. That’s my guess

Dream becomes reality for late-blooming Division I recruit. 'She's so talented.'
Jared Peck (Lexington Herald-Leader)
June 15, 2020

Excerpts
“I’ve always known I wanted to go to Louisville,” Williams told the Herald-Leader on Monday. “I watched them all the time as a kid. And it’s close to home with Mom being sick and stuff (she has a chronic condition), I feel like it’s a blessing that I get to play close and play with one of the best programs in the country.”

“I’m going to have to learn to balance a lot of stuff, but my first year I’m going to redshirt, so I feel like that’s going to help me a lot. I’m going to get stronger. I’m going to get faster,” she said. “I’ll learn to balance school and next year, hopefully, I’ll be ready.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dream becomes reality for late-blooming Division I recruit. 'She's so talented.'
Jared Peck (Lexington Herald-Leader)
June 15, 2020

Excerpts
“I’ve always known I wanted to go to Louisville,” Williams told the Herald-Leader on Monday. “I watched them all the time as a kid. And it’s close to home with Mom being sick and stuff (she has a chronic condition), I feel like it’s a blessing that I get to play close and play with one of the best programs in the country.”

“I’m going to have to learn to balance a lot of stuff, but my first year I’m going to redshirt, so I feel like that’s going to help me a lot. I’m going to get stronger. I’m going to get faster,” she said. “I’ll learn to balance school and next year, hopefully, I’ll be ready.

More details

Williams chose Louisville over 20 other NCAA Division I offers. Kentucky was not among them.

“Malea brings a unique skill set as she is able to knock down the three-point shot from the trail position at the post and adds a presence as a shot blocker on the defensive end,” Louisville Coach Jeff Walz said in a press release announcing the signing. “We anticipate her being a great addition to our core group and look forward to getting her in the mix this fall.”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It would not bother if she committed to UCLA or Stanford. I hope it is not ND or Baylor. I would be just as surprised if she commits to UConn as I was with Boston committing to SC.

Reaction Score
I wonder who will pick up Damiya Hagemon (#5 PG ESPN) or Raven Johnson (#2 PG ESPN))

Not FSU, our high school recruiting has been an abject disaster ever since Lance White left. In fact we havent had a high school commit in two years. But like others have noted Sue is a good coach, not a great coach and has always had inconsistent recruiting.

I also do not like becoming transfer u, its unsustainable, but what else are you going to do when you cannot land a single high school recruit?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not FSU, our high school recruiting has been an abject disaster ever since Lance White left. In fact we havent had a high school commit in two years. But like others have noted Sue is a good coach, not a great coach and has always had inconsistent recruiting.

I also do not like becoming transfer u, its unsustainable, but what else are you going to do when you cannot land a single high school recruit?

Dont you lead for Omariah Gordon?? Her name is constantly mentioned with FSU.

Reaction Score

The 2019 class was not bad...River Baldwin #30, Sammie Puisis #38, London Clarkson..and Isabela Nicoletti (top five guard class of 2018) is back from injury (three years remaining).

Sue has added former All SEC Freshman Biana Jackson as a transfer from South Carolina (#54) whose first year of eligibilty is this season (2 remaining)...and three more transfers...

....Tiana England from St.Johns (PG)
....Erin Howard (F)...led Auburn in blocked shots & 3 pointers last year
....Sara Bejedi (PG)...Arizona State

As long as transfers like Kiah Gillespie come in, I am for transfers

Reaction Score
The 2019 class was not bad...River Baldwin #30, Sammie Puisis #38, London Clarkson..and Isabela Nicoletti (top five guard class of 2018) is back from injury (three years remaining).

Sue has added former All SEC Freshman Biana Jackson as a transfer from South Carolina (#54) whose first year of eligibilty is this season (2 remaining)...and three more transfers...

....Tiana England from St.Johns (PG)
....Erin Howard (F)...led Auburn in blocked shots & 3 pointers last year
....Sara Bejedi (PG)...Arizona State

As long as transfers like Kiah Gillespie come in, I am for transfers

I am not against transfers. I just don't like not having a high schooler commit to us in over two years. Yes 2019 class was good, but check out the 10 or even 15 years of classes before that. Having a great class once every three years hasn't pushed us to the upper echelon. Which is why I think Sue is a good coach but not a great coach.

Reaction Score
Bianca Jackson will be a good pickup for you. Loved her skill set at SC. Not sure where she would have fit into the guard rotation had she stayed though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know much about much when it comes to recruits. Is she all the hype Tennessee fans are raving about?
I guess they have to start somewhere, but yes please - continue to land kids outside the top 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom