Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 159 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who was it?
Still nothing announced. The guesses have been S Andrews, K Cardosa or D Gaston. Obviously the first two have said they are still visiting other schools so the latter is the default.

Reaction Score
I'm almost 100% sure its Gaston lol, but we'll wait a little longer.
Does anyone know the story with her? I looked back and she is currently ranked 18 by Prospects Nation. She was previously a top 20 to 30 recruit in espn. However this year she has dropped a fair amount in the espn ranking. Is there any health issues or other issues? Obviously Coach Schaeffer has done well in his recruiting but this one is a little bit of a mystery. The only thing that I can think is that he is looking for a stretch for to replace Martinez. I also suspect this means that he thinks A Edwards is going in another direction as they seem to be similar players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know the story with her? I looked back and she is currently ranked 18 by Prospects Nation. She was previously a top 20 to 30 recruit in espn. However this year she has dropped a fair amount in the espn ranking. Is there any health issues or other issues? Obviously Coach Schaeffer has done well in his recruiting but this one is a little bit of a mystery. The only thing that I can think is that he is looking for a stretch for to replace Martinez. I also suspect this means that he thinks A Edwards is going in another direction as they seem to be similar players.

Prospect nations has her ranked #18 overall.

Reaction Score
I can only find stats for her freshman and junior Hs seasons. My assumption is an injury must have keep her out Soph year. As a freshman she was ranked vert high but has been downgraded in rankings since freshman year. Same thing happened with current MSST freshman Young.

Reaction Score
View attachment 46946 Those Flagship vs Land Grant rivalries are the best.
It is sometimes or even often the case that the Land Grant university is looked down upon, belittled, and called "little brother" and/or other derogatory names such as "Moo U" by fans of the flagship or rival public university in the state. I grew up in Michigan where this is definitely the case. It is far more than just gentle ribbing. What is so ironic is that when the decision was being made where to put the Land Grant Ag school in the state, the University of Michigan and its supporters lobbied hard for the land and funding being proposed/offered in order to have this honor! Even after the Michigan legislature created Michigan Agricultural College (the predecessor of Michigan State University) the UofM folks tried further to be the Ag school by proposing a merger with M.A.C, but this too was not approved. So, it's funny how current fans of UoM like to look down on Michigan State as "Moo U" when it was their beloved school that wanted the honor in the first place! I'm certain that the vast majority of UofM fans either don't know or conveniently ignore/overlook the historical facts.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It is sometimes or even often the case that the Land Grant university is looked down upon, belittled, and called "little brother" and/or other derogatory names such as "Moo U" by fans of the flagship or rival public university in the state.

I think this applies in both Oregon and Washington.

Reaction Score
We finally know who Alasia cropped out of that photo!

It took me a second to find her full name since it's not listed on her insta.

Amirah Abdur-Rahim, sister to ex-NBA player Sharif Abdur-Rahim. Prospects Nation #59.
Played w/ FBC, but I think she was out injured this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks. That explains why her most recent evaluation from ESPN is in 2018 and why she is not ranked there after being in an earlier Hoopgurlz top 60.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think this applies in both Oregon and Washington.

And here in North Carolina as well. I do find that fans of the land grant schools tend to be more passionate than those of the flagships. Generally speaking.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks. That explains why her most recent evaluation from ESPN is in 2018 and why she is not ranked there after being in an earlier Hoopgurlz top 60.

Thanks to both of you for the research on this. And for passing it on.

Open Question to our Southeasstern-based hoops fans: does anyone know what schools she was/is being pursued by and/or she is interested in? Some preliminary research indicated she's attended camps of U of Georgia, which made sense. Any others?

I'm wondering (actually guessing) if this dalliance is recent and, if so, has something to do with LSU possibly being interested in her. The common element there is Michaela Mabrey, who was directing recruiting efforts for the Tigers before heading north to join her alma mater.

Like a few schools (like one located in northern Connecticut), ND is a bit short on forwards/posts. While 6'5" Nat Marshall is verbally committed, ND only has Sam Brunelle at a wing/forward and 6'2"prospect Maddy Westbeld has a similar "take it outside" on offense/will work in paint on defense approach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks to both of you for the research on this. And for passing it on.

Open Question to our Southeasstern-based hoops fans: does anyone know what schools she was/is being pursued by and/or she is interested in? Some preliminary research indicated she's attended camps of U of Georgia, which made sense. Any others?

I'm wondering (actually guessing) if this dalliance is recent and, if so, has something to do with LSU at time being interested in her? The common element there is Michaela Mabrey, who was directing recruiting effort for the Tigers before heading north to join her alma mater.

Like a few schools (like one located in northern Connecticut), ND is a bit short on forwards/posts. While 6'5" Nat Marshall is verbally committed, ND only has Sam Brunelle at a wing/forward and 6'2" Maddy Westbeld has a similar "take it outside" on offense/will work in paint on defense approach.
She attends the same HS as Maya Dodson, St. Francis (no religious affiliation IIRC), who Muffett recruited hard, so maybe she saw her at an open gym or something a while back (when Amirah was headed into her freshman year and Maya her senior year).

Assuming Amirah plays this HS season, St. Francis should have a solid team this season with Abdur-Rahim, Oregon State commit Savannah Sammuel, and 2021 Mia Moore.

It appears her injury occurred at some point in the early HS season, as she only played four games in 18-19, but averaged 12.8 PPG on 67% shooting in those games. Not sure the extent of the injury, but she often wore a knee brace before the injury occurred.

Here is an article from about a year ago: 6 recruits on the rise this summer:

“She has yet to list her top five schools, but she said the University of Georgia, where her brother, Amir, is an assistant coach for men's basketball, is a lock to be one of her finalists. NC State, Florida and Vanderbilt are among the other schools involved, but Amir may give the Bulldogs an edge for now.”

Her brother Amir has since left UGA and is now the head men’s coach at Kennesaw State.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She attends the same HS as Maya Dodson, St. Francis (no religious affiliation IIRC), who Muffett recruited hard, so maybe she saw her at an open gym or something a while back (when Amirah was headed into her freshman year and Maya her senior year).

Assuming Amirah plays this HS season, St. Francis should have a solid team this season with Abdur-Rahim, Oregon State commit Savannah Sammuel, and 2021 Mia Moore.

It appears her injury occurred at some point in the early HS season, as she only played four games in 18-19, but averaged 12.8 PPG on 67% shooting in those games. Not sure the extent of the injury, but she often wore a knee brace before the injury occurred.

Here is an article from about a year ago: 6 recruits on the rise this summer:

“She has yet to list her top five schools, but she said the University of Georgia, where her brother, Amir, is an assistant coach for men's basketball, is a lock to be one of her finalists. NC State, Florida and Vanderbilt are among the other schools involved, but Amir may give the Bulldogs an edge for now.”

Her brother Amir has since left UGA and is now the head men’s coach at Kennesaw State.

Thanks much...appreciate the effort. I do remember the pursuit of Maya Dodson, which seemed to end the moment Ms. Dodson got off the plane in northern Cali! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Help! I have been missing a lot of threads. I used my phone for first time in a long time and my phone and iPad do not match threads. My phone has all of the current but my iPad has older ones. It appears to be same address too.

Reaction Score

“Four-star forward and top 100 player nationally Deyona’ Gaston committed to the Bulldogs this week just after taking her official visit two weeks ago. She chose the Bulldogs over finalists Florida State, Kansas and Texas as well as early offers from Connecticut, Louisville, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, North Carolina, South Carolina and others.”

Reaction Score

“Four-star forward and top 100 player nationally Deyona’ Gaston committed to the Bulldogs this week just after taking her official visit two weeks ago. She chose the Bulldogs over finalists Florida State, Kansas and Texas as well as early offers from Connecticut, Louisville, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, North Carolina, South Carolina and others.”
I think that leaves MSST with just one more scholarship if we do not have any player leave early. I believe Vic is going after both S. Andrews and K. Cardoso, I suspect he will take the first one to commit.

Reaction Score
I think that leaves MSST with just one more scholarship if we do not have any player leave early. I believe Vic is going after both S. Andrews and K. Cardoso, I suspect he will take the first one to commit.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Miss St currently has 14 scholarship players this year with Danberry being the lone senior. That leaves 13 next year and with Hayes and Gaston that’s 15. Who’s leaving or giving up their scholarship to make room?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong but Miss St currently has 14 scholarship players this year with Danberry being the lone senior. That leaves 13 next year and with Hayes and Gaston that’s 15. Who’s leaving or giving up their scholarship to make room?
I wouldn’t be surprised to see multiple leave, TBH. Not sure how Vic can anticipate that, but I’m sure at least 1-2 will be unhappy and leave. Every elite school has attrition nowadays.

They’re willing to take Andrews and Cardoso per their 247 writer.

Reaction Score
As long as MSU takes no more then they are fine for next year as all 15 scholarships would be taken. Obviously K Cardoso/Cardosa/Soares/... and S Andrews would be takes. A Edwards and T Hunt were the other names mentioned. I think they are definitely going elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom