Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Photo Bomb!
Maybe, but I don't think so. She is wearing the same game pass with the number 17 as are all the other TN recruits and players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This item might deserve it's own thread but congrats to Yale for snagging an ESPN top 35 type player in Camilla Emsbo from Colorado.
camilla-emsbo

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Maybe, but I don't think so. She is wearing the same game pass with the number 17 as are all the other TN recruits and players.
Amira Collins was also there. That's not her in the photo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Re the change of date for Christyn’s Austin visit to coincide with Charli’s:

If Texas rescheduled it for their convenience, I view it as neutral.

If Charli rescheduled it for personal reasons, that doesn’t appear to be a good sign for us.

Fingers crossed, trying to remain patient. The first practice is only 10 days away. Yay!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not recruiting per se, but I'll stick it here:

Looks like ND has added a couple of walk-ons:

upload_2017-10-2_14-21-43.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks! Any idea why they were seeking or open to walk-ons?

ND has 11 on the roster, including Turner (out for the year) and Shepard (awaiting word from NCAA re eligibility). So possibly as few as 9 players available this year. Kat Westbeld (ankle) and Mychal Johnson (shoulder) are still recovering from offseason surgeries. As of last word, Johnson is expected to be ready by opening day. Westbeld is questionable.

Just very short on healthy bodies.

The Patberg and Boley transfers did not help matters in that respect, of course.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND has 11 on the roster, including Turner (out for the year) and Shepard (awaiting word from NCAA re eligibility). So possibly as few as 9 players available this year. Kat Westbeld (ankle) and Mychal Johnson (shoulder) are still recovering from offseason surgeries. As of last word, Johnson is expected to be ready by opening day. Westbeld is questionable.

Just very short on healthy bodies.

The Patberg and Boley transfers did not help matters in that respect, of course.
Thanks. Yes, a relative dearth of healthy bodies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
C. Wiliams changed her recruiting visit to Texas on 10/20 with C.Collier at Texas
Not sure about your source, but Austin newspaper tweeted the following, and Christyn retweeted it:

Reaction Score
A few on the Baylor board think that Honesty Scott-Grayson is their second silent commit and that they have a great shot with DeCosta...any thoughts?

Reaction Score
A few on the Baylor board think that Honesty Scott-Grayson is their second silent commit and that they have a great shot with DeCosta...any thoughts?

as I've said numerous times, I'm not a big fan of HSG as a player or as a basketball transient so if she is a Baylor commit I'll be waiting to see how long before she transfers................nobody but DeCosta knows what she's going to do...........great physical talent that some say doesn't always play at a consistently high level

Reaction Score

Congrats to a really great NJ player..........can't wait for her to kick butt in the ACC............there are going to be a lot of ticked off folks at ND wishing she was on their roster when they see the kind of energy she brings to the game..........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to a really great NJ player.....can't wait for her to kick butt in the ACC..there are going to be a lot of ticked off folks at ND wishing she was on their roster when they see the kind of energy she brings to the game.....

ummm..."...when they see." I'd say there's already one ticked off Irish alum in northern Jersey ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
DeCosta is committing on the 10th. I'm thinking that she has pretty well decided. Even with the Baylor visit this weekend. Will it be USC, Baylor, Tennessee, Louisville, or South Carolina?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don't believe Honesty has ever visited the Baylor campus unofficially. It would be a stretch for Baylor fans to think she is a silent commitment to them (unless she really has visited and I am mistaken).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Congrats to a really great NJ player.....can't wait for her to kick butt in the ACC..there are going to be a lot of ticked off folks at ND wishing she was on their roster when they see the kind of energy she brings to the game.....

ummm..."...when they see." I'd say there's already one ticked off Irish alum in northern Jersey ;)

Personally, I see no reason to be ticked off. I've really enjoyed watching her sisters play and would have been happy to have her at ND.

On the other hand, with Nixon and Peoples committed, ND did not really need a 5'8 guard. I don't want to be seen as knocking her - she's had a great high school career and I've her nothing but good things from those who have watched her prep career firsthand.

At the same time, were talking about being "ticked off" over not signing someone who is not in the Hoopgurlz top 100...really?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Personally, I see no reason to be ticked off. I've really enjoyed watching her sisters play and would have been happy to have her at ND.

On the other hand, with Nixon and Peoples committed, ND did not really need a 5'8 guard. I don't want to be seen as knocking her - she's had a great high school career and I've her nothing but good things from those who have watched her prep career firsthand.

At the same time, were talking about being "ticked off" over not signing someone who is not in the Hoopgurlz top 100...really?

Perhaps I should've stayed with "disappointed," which is the term I've used at McGraw's Bench. I fully understand the logic (and perhaps the reasons and rationale that might've led to it) for not needing to sign a 5'8" off guard who is going to attempt to make herself into a combo or even a point guard in one high school season. And, in fact, I think getting Nixon to settle into the PG seat in 2018 prior to People's arrival in 2019 is a great move.

It's been great to see Dara play in person over the years, from when she was a frosh on sister Marina's senior championship team to the last two years when she's grown into one of NJ's best players. I think she brings a verve and competitive spirit that any team can use....obviously a lot of ND's ACC competitors thought so. Like you, I've enjoyed everything Mike and Marina have brought to the court for the Irish and -- as a fan -- I'm a bit "ticked" I won't be able to see that on the court in South Bend. That's all.

So, I can do both the recruiting analysis and the fan's reaction and get it, be "disappointed," and even a bit "ticked." And lastly, be happy for Miss Dara Mabrey that she seems to have a fine opportunity at Va. Tech. (Great that we humans can have all these things going on ;))

(As for the rankings, Dara's not in Hoopgurlz but in Prospects Nation's Top 50. Yet she was named NJ player of the year by multiple institutions. 2018 Irish commit Abby Prohaska was not in one or the other rankings at one point -- and the Irish wanted her -- so I don't get too worked up about those in general.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have only heard bits and pieces of the recruiting story between Dara and ND................let's just say that from what I have been told, about half way through the process she felt that looking for another program that was more "forthcoming" was in her best interest...............Frankly I'd go to war with Dara over Nixon any day of the week but it will be fun to see how that choice turns out for ND

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
(As for the rankings, Dara's not in Hoopgurlz but in Prospects Nation's Top 50. Yet she was named NJ player of the year by multiple institutions. 2018 Irish commit Abby Prohaska was not in one or the other rankings at one point -- and the Irish wanted her -- so I don't get too worked up about those in general.)

Generally, the players ranked the highest out of HS have been the biggest stars for ND. Diggins, McBride, Loyd, Mabrey1, Allen, Turner, Westbeld, Mabrey2, Ogunbowale all McDonald's All-Americans.

And yeah, I'm not expecting Prohaska (or Cosgrove for that matter) to be stars. Nixon (ranked much higher by PN and ASGR) and Gilbert, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom